Profile for MarieR > Reviews

Content by MarieR

MarieR

The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind
by Daniel J. Siegel

5.0 out of 5 stars The Whole- Brain Child:12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, 29 Mar 2012
This is the first book solely dedicated to parenting that I have read. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have found it extremely beneficial on a number of fronts.
Firstly, as a parent, the book has equipped me with numerous useful strategies for dealing with survive moments and helping my children develop into well rounded, confident people who understand both their own feelings and those of others.
Secondly, the sections for kids are ingenious in my opinion. I have shared them with my four and five year olds and they "get" them. Much of the vocabulary from the book is now integrated into our every day family conversations. The kids are learning to see signs before they flip their lids. Even if they have gone past the point of no return and do flip their lids, once things have calmed down and they are rational again, they want to discuss the incident and learn from it. They are also happy to tell my husband and me when we have flipped our lids and when we are not in the centre of our rivers of wellbeing!
Thirdly, we are all now using mindsight to help us understand how others are feeling.
Discussions about our actions, our feelings and the feelings of others bring us closer together and help us to grow as individuals and as a family. Its a thoroughly useful book for parents and families.