Profile for Ulrik Groenborg > Reviews

Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru
by Matthew Parris
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read - but a bit out of date, 11 July 2004
I brought "Inca Kola: A Traveller's Tale of Peru" with me to Peru this summer.
The book is well-written and a good read, as the other reviewers have written. However, I found the book a bit outdated - it is (almost) 15 years ago, Mr Parris visited Peru, and the country has come a long way since. Especially in the last decade.
This does not make the book bad per se - it is still OK.
I recommed the book "The Gringo Trail" as an better, new, alternative read. It covers more countries than "just" Peru, but is just as witty and thought-provoking.
Or you can do like me, and buy them both;-)

The Gringo Trail: A Darkly Comic Road-Trip Through South America
The Gringo Trail: A Darkly Comic Road-Trip Through South America
by Mark Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well-written - and food for thought, too, 11 July 2004
I bought the books "The Gringo Trail" and "Inca-Kola" and brought them with me to South America this summer. I have just returned to Europe, and, looking back, I can easily recommend The Gringo Trail to anyone backpacking in Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador or Columbia.
The book is funny, of course, but the passages I found myself re-reading again and again during my trip, was where the author "explained" the history of the conquest of South America to his travel companions Melissa and Mark # 2.
Very insightful and well-written - a good way to put thought-provoking facts into a work of fiction. It answers many of the questions that arise when you travel in South America - for example, how come there are hardly any indigenous "indians" on TV, radio or in the papers, even though there are more of them than there are "latinos".
It gives you a much better insight into the countries than the Lonely Planet guidebook (bring that, too, though) and it is also better than the book Inca-Kola which seemed a bit out-dated to me.