Profile for Ralph A. > Reviews

Content by Ralph A.

Ralph A.

Page: 1 | 2
Smatree SmaSpike K1(11"-16") Aluminum Pole with Spike Foot for GoPro Hero, Hero4, Hero4 Session, 3+, 3, 2, 1 HD Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Product from Smatree, 16 April 2016
SmaSpike

This is the third review I have done for Smatree. Smatree sent me this product after requesting reviewers on Facebook. Although I received the product for free I have not been paid to write the review.

As ever the SmaSpike arrived speedily via Amazon, the packaging of the product is always sturdy with Smatree products. Good quality sturdy cardboard boxes. Gives a nice feel when opening them.

On opening the box the spaspike came in a plastic bag along with a set of instructions and a bright blue aluminium thumbscrew. my last review for Smatree was for a set of thumbscrews, and you can find that here http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R35QZW2M9C5WGK/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0191KES1Q

On opening up the SmaSpike I was pleased to note it was lightweight, One of my issues with owning, what is becoming an increasing amount of GoPro kit, is how to transport it all. The point of the GoPro was that it should be easy to use and quick to set up. I’m now finding i’m lugging a small film set around with me just to capture that great shot of the wife and I doing something fairly mundane. “Gotta take all the kit just in case I need that particular mount to catch that particular shot”. Half the kit I have very rarely used.

So back to the SmaSpike, the main body is 11” in length and made of strong aluminium alloy, with the smart Smatree logo along the shaft. A nice feature is the rubber grip towards the bottom of the shaft, covering almost half of it. This could have been a little more textured. Like the SP Gadgets poles. That was one of my issues with the SmaPole F1, that it didn’t have any grip, so this is an improvement and would lead me to take the SmaSpike over the SmaPole F1, Starting at the top of the spike the there is plastic GoPro attachment point. This is a shame as the rest of the Smaspike is aluminium alloy, including the thumbscrew. Having said that it is as good a quality as my SP Gadgets Extendable Pole. What is nice is the brass fixed “nut” that the thumbscrew screws into. No chance of loosing this.

The attachment point unscrews to reveal a standard 1/4” metal thread. Meaning that any camera with a tripod mount could be attached. The thread on the underside of the attachment is also a brass insert.

At the other end of the shaft, there is a blue metal ring and the wrist lanyard attachment. This, as ever, is strong with the Smatree logo and an toggle to tighten it around your wrist. This is where you unscrew the spike part of the SmaSpike.

The spike is made of the same aluminium and looks to be pretty strong. I think it would take some serious force to bend or damage it.

The spike screws into the base of the shaft with a couple of turns and feels very secure.

This then gives an overall length of 17”

The shaft could be extended by screwing on another shaft section that has a 1/4” thread. I tried this with the Smapole F1, it worked but didn’t look very neat as the bottom of the F1 is curved. I guess some of the other poles will attach more neatly.

So to uses. I can see this being really useful at the beach or in particularly windy conditions when a small tripod is likely to blow over.

As ever, Smatree have produced a quality product which has found its way into my kit. I’m off to Guernsey in a few weeks and will probably use this on the beach to film some time lapse of the beach and waves.

Check out my video review on my YouTube Channel just search for OutdoorAdventureUK
Comment Comment | Permalink

ZAGG iPhone 6 Screen Protector Orbit Extreme for Apple iPhone 6/6S Protective Bumper Case with Full-Body Invisible Shield HDX
Offered by GoGadgets UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 16 April 2016
Great product. Looks nice. Screen protectors went in easily and actually the first time I've ever not got a speck of dust underneath.
Great to show off the back of the iPhone for a change.
Had s little trouble with an air bubble where the apple logo sits on the back. Managed to clear it when I stuck it on the sticky pad of my in car holder. It moved the bubble to the main part of the back and I was able to punch it to the edge.
I've used Zagg protectors before. I have one on my iPad that has been on for over two years and still looks great.
This is a normal application screen protector not the wet application. I do prefer the wet application ones as I think they stick better (never tried to take one off).

The bumper case feels robust, it's quite smooth so not much grip. Getting used to it after a week or so. Was used to a much more rugged case before. I like the dash of red on the the buttons.

On the whole a great product.

Smatree Full Aluminum ThumbScrew kits for Gopro -5 Pcs Long Screw for Go pro Hero 4, Session, 3+, 3, 2, 1, SJCAM- Black (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement thumbscrews, 19 Mar. 2016
I follow Smatree on their Facebook page, and they have taken recently to asking followers to review their products. I was lucky enough to be selected to review this product, I was sent this product, paying only a nominal amount, to review.

I am a keen GoPro'er, if that it the right terminology, and have many accessories, both official and aftermarket.

The thumbscrews were sent speedily via Amazon, and were nicely packaged in a small sturdy box (which I am sure will come in handy for tother things in the future). I use the sturdy box that my Smacase came in for all my spare accessories.

On to the Thumbscrews themselves. Each one was individually wrapped in a small plastic bag. Each one is exactly as the photo. An interesting item to note is the small washer which is supplied with each thumbscrew.

As with all Smatree products I have bought, these are well made, with no burrs or poor casting of the aluminium. The nuts on the ends are exactly the same as the official GoPro nuts. I have in the past used B&Q M5 nuts, but despite fitting well they are different.

Another key feature is that the threaded end is permanently fixed inside the aluminium knob. I have had issues with the official GoPro thumbscrews where the screw part comes loose and you have to push it back in to create a tight grip. No such problem with these.

If you have the GoPro Tool, it still works. Its not as snug as the official GoPro Thumbscrew, but it works. There is maybe a millimetre or two difference in size, but it still allowed me to tighten the thumbscrew. If Smatree were to redesign this they should make sure it is a slightly more snug fit with the tool.

The end of the thumbscrew has a knurled grip on the raised edges give good grip.

These are great replacement thumbscrews for your GoPro. Well made, nicely packaged and work nicely.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Smatree SmaPole F1 Floating Hand Grip / Floating Pole / Bobber (Aluminum & Carbon Fiber Materials) Integrated With Aluminium Alloy Tripod Mount and Nut + Plastic Thumbscrew for GoPro Hero, Hero 4 Session, Hero 4 Black/Silver, 3+, 3, 2, 1 HD Cameras (Blue)
Offered by Kumu-UK

Smatree SmaPole F1 Floating Hand Grip / Floating Pole / Bobber (Aluminum & Carbon Fiber Materials) Integrated With Aluminium Alloy Tripod Mount and Nut + Plastic Thumbscrew for GoPro Hero, Hero 4 Session, Hero 4 Black/Silver, 3+, 3, 2, 1 HD Cameras (Golden)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, Professional looking Floaty Pole, 13 Jan. 2016
Check out my review on YouTube https://youtu.be/buK5tV8s1aY

I follow a page on Facebook called Go Pro UK Group a poster popped up looking for testers for a floating pole / hand grip so I followed the links and the instructions, and a Smatter Sample F1 was winging its way to me via Amazon.

I stress that I was sent this product after following an add for testers willing to give review.

I’ve been a keen GoPro user for about 3 years, own 2 GoPro’s, A Hero 3 Black and a Hero 4Black. + a wide range of accessories,

You can check out my videos, by following the link below or the link at the end.

I already have two floaty handles, the GoPro version, a bobber that I got from Amazon,
Now I only received this yesterday so I have clearly not used it in the sea or in its floaty capacity.

This will be a review of my immediate thoughts during un boxing.
I already own a Smatter case which I bought via amazon, this replaced a smaller case I had when I bought the GoPro Hero 4, and needed a case to hold both.
So this is the Smatree Smapole F1 It says its Floaty, Ultralite carbon fibre monopole for GoPro.
Box looks goods, I do like good packaging.
Light but feels really nice quality, no rough edges, nice colours.
No grip to speak off. metal attachment at the top, nice features in the permanently attached nut.
The thumb screw comes with a spare nut as well, although I don’t think you really need it. A note about the nuts, if you loose them, go to your hardware store (B&Q) and pick up a set of AVF M10 Steel Cap Nut, Pack of 10 Cost £3.31 fit perfectly, they are not quite the same.
Lanyard attachment screws into the bottom. Now I saw a review that said the they had lost their go pro when the lanyard came off in the water
I can’t really see that it has a about 7-8 turns and it tightens up nicely.
Lanyard has a toggle for tightening it around your wrist.
The screw is a standard 1/4” so can be attached to a tripod, My gorilla pod has a 1/4” screw so I could attach this to the top to give extra height.
Its quite long compared to my other floaty grips.
I think this is a stylish pole, if you were taking just one hand grip on holiday, this would be a good choice. Looks professional feels good, could be used both in and out of the water. I like the fact that its a bit longer. Sometimes when you want that selfie this just gives you that extra bit of distance, without knocking out the people around you.

Great Product

adidas Originals Men's adi Racer goodyear Low trainers - G16082 - black[UK 11]
adidas Originals Men's adi Racer goodyear Low trainers - G16082 - black[UK 11]

5.0 out of 5 stars Shame they have stopped making these, 19 Jun. 2015
Loved these so much, I trawled the Internet for other pairs. Have to pairs put away safe now for when the others wear out. I own white with black stripes, white with grey stripes, brown with cream stripes, white with blue stripes and black with white stripes.

Star Wars, Starbucks Coffee parody MUG. Ceramic / Dishwasher proof
Star Wars, Starbucks Coffee parody MUG. Ceramic / Dishwasher proof
Offered by Science Enterprise

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as expected, 19 Jun. 2015
Didn't seem quite the same quality as my previous one, ( the wife paid about £12 for that one) and the design had a ghost outline in places where I guess the logo had slipped during manufacture.
Due to cheap price decided not to send back but to take to work and use there.
When will I learn "buy cheap buy twice!"

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 12 Jun. 2014
Lasts as long as the official battery. Certainly worth the investment. Fits the same. Good value for the price. Recommended.

OEM Helmet Action Camera Strap For GoPro HD Hero 1 2 3 Sport Camera Outdoor Cycling Video
Offered by XINTE

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 12 Jun. 2014
Buy cheap buy twice. Could get this to tighten enough on my Fox mountain bike helmet. Caused the camera to wobble. I've not tried the proper go pro version, that might well be the same.

Proraso Shaving Cream Tube (150ml)
Proraso Shaving Cream Tube (150ml)
Offered by Lucky Nail Polish

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth shave, 12 Jun. 2014
Lathers well with a shaving brush. Nice smell and a slick shave. Worth a try! The wife liked it. Good value.

Page: 1 | 2