Profile for Saleha Latif > Reviews

Content by Saleha Latif

Saleha Latif (Slough, UK)

The Falconer
The Falconer
by Elizabeth May

4.0 out of 5 stars Forgetting Fairytales, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Falconer (Hardcover)
In this novel May has laid to rest the fairytale clichés of dresses and wands, replacing them

with foul, fiendish fairies to be feared. Not only that, she has given us a feisty, intelligent

and dedicated young protagonist who refuses to be a damsel in distress; who shows us that,

despite other people pulling you down, you can get up and try harder to achieve what you

want to.

We accompany Aileana through her trials in trying to shrug off the accusations of being

her mother's murderer, continuously trying to keep up `a pleasant demeanour and an

incandescent smile' while trying to track her mother's true killer.

May has really captured the two sides of Aileana's life; from the balls and finding a suitor to

the death threatening duels with power hungry fairies, horrifying hounds and skull crushing

red- caps . We are shown that despite the physical injuries of the latter the constant lies

of the former are harder for Ailleana as after all she is only a teenage girl who wants to be

able to be herself and not a perfect lady of society.

The funny characters (like Derrick the pixie who describes himself as `quite handsome to

the ladies' and enjoys the smell of rose cleaning detergent) make you snort and the many

secrets and outbursts make you gasp aloud.

The setting of the book added to the enjoyment as I have never read a book that combined

a Victorianesque setting with steam punk in Scotland. It is an unusual combination but

works as you are surprised when Aileana whips out yet another powerful invention on the

battlefield.

This book tore me away from revision as I found it hard to stop reading. I went into this

book dubiously as I was unsure of what to expect but came out pleasantly surprised at how

good it was and in the end yearning to know the rest of the story. I give you this advice, be

prepared to feel melancholy when you realise how long you have to wait to finish hearing

Ailena's story. Right now 2014 seems decades away