Profile for red0209 > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 68

red0209 (Newcastle, UK)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
[VSTN] V Series Genuine Leather Business Men's Long Wallet Single Zipper with Carbon leather, Luxurious Style and Very Large Capacity Wallet(Navy)
Offered by iitrust

5.0 out of 5 stars Good but very large; could easily be used as a women's purse, 31 Jan. 2016
The first thing to note about this wallet is that it is big and heavy: approximately 21cm long, 11.5cm wide and nearly 3cm thick. It weighs 246 grams when empty. This is far larger than all of the other wallets I have ever come across, and bigger than most ladies purses as well, to the point where it is too big to place inside the pocket of most of the jackets that I own. You could quite easily use this as a purse if you were a woman as it has all of the attributes that you would need. The wallet does seem very well made with a good quality zip. As you can probably imagine with the outer dimensions, there is a lot of space inside this wallet. There are 12 card slots, one with a visible window. Credit cards slide easily in and out of these slots. There are two open compartments, one either side of a zipped compartment. The current listing photographs represent all of this extremely well. The outer surface of the wallet is pleasing to the touch and overall I think it looks very good.

The wallet comes inside a very solid card board box wrapped in a soft yellow bag. This would make it ideal to present as a gift if you so desired.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Mixcder Drip Wireless Bluetooth Headphones for Kids On-ear Stereo Cordless Headsets 4.0+EDR Fodable Earphones with Built-in Mic Hands Free Calling for Apple iPhone 6 Plus Lightweight - Blue
Offered by Xfire-UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory headphones, 25 Jan. 2016
These are eye catching headphones that function fairly well. My first impression out of the box was that the earmuffs are too small; they probably are to be fair, with the hole in the middle being less than 5cm wide from top to bottom. This won't be enough to enclose most people's ears and as a result the main negative with these headphones is that there is a fair bit of sound leakage. You may therefore annoy a few people if you wear them on public transport for example. However, none of this detracts from the sound you can hear while wearing these headphones. I found that at low volumes on my phone, I could easily hear background noise but when I turned the volume up to half way and beyond, it was fine. The sound quality is comparable with all of the similarly priced headphones that I have come across, certainly good enough for me. The level of comfort provided by the earmuffs is perfectly acceptable, particularly as they can move slightly in any direction from their point of attachment with the headband. There is an L and R marked on the outside so that you know which way around to wear them. I must admit to having a big head (literally not metaphorically; I've occasionally had trouble getting baseball caps and hats to fit) and these Mixcder headphones could probably do with having a headband that is slightly bigger as I can feel a little bit of pressure on the top of my head from it even when it is expanded to its fullest extent. A few more millmetres would certainly help but the headphones are just about big enough to wear without any real discomfort.

You receive a 3.5mm audio jack cable and micro USB charging cable, both in white incidentally. The headphones fold for easy storage and are lightweight compared to most others I have come across, at 192 grams. Charging, pairing and operation of these Mixcder headphones are all straightforward, with an extensive set of instructions included if anything is not obvious. I've paired the headphones with multiple devices in a matter of seconds without any problems.

True Faith
True Faith

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Jan. 2016
This review is from: True Faith (MP3 Download)
I've always thought that True Faith was New Order's best song, It's unusual in that the drums/percussion play a far more prominent part than in most songs.

MOOBOM 51 LED UV Flashlight UV Black Light Pet Urine Odor Stain Detector UV Torch Violet Electric Flashlight Pets Ultra Spot Detector Dog Find Stains on Clothes Carpet or Rugs 3 Batteries Included
Offered by seguryy

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous torch, 23 Jan. 2016
This is something that I didn't know I needed until approached to review it [I was provided with this product for free to review], and I must admit to being pleasantly surprised with its capabilities. The torch is exactly as depicted in the listing photographs and weighs around 235 grams in operation, complete with batteries. It is just the right dimensions to fit comfortably into your hand, and the grooves on the handle mean it is easy to grip. Having the batteries included is a nice touch, just in case you don't have three AA batteries to hand. It is also somewhat surprising given the relatively low price of the torch at the time of writing. The three batteries are encased on a removable cartridge and easily inserted and removed as necessary.

While you can go outside and use this torch as a source of illumination, I was more intrigued by its uses inside the home. If you turn it on and point it at your walls, your floors or your clothes, things that you didn't know were there suddenly show up. I found the odd splash mark on the wall not visible to the naked eye, and similarly the odd piece of dust or fluff on the floor that I didn't know was there. Therefore this torch is a very useful tool to allow you to direct your cloth or hoover to exactly the right place. I must concede that I do not own any pets that could urinate on the floor so I can't verify whether it successfully detects this or not. I do now know however that £20 notes have small, short lines all over them to prevent counterfeiting. I also now know that the laptop on which I am writing this review could probably do with a nice damp cloth wiping the keyboard!

Whilst this is not something I would use every day, it certainly lives up to what it claims to be very well and is useful.

Kitchen Maestro High Quality Stainless Steel Rubber Coated Grip Turner
Kitchen Maestro High Quality Stainless Steel Rubber Coated Grip Turner
Offered by London kiosk

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific turner, 23 Jan. 2016
This stainless steel turner looks exactly as it does in the listing photographs, and is a very well made kitchen utensil. It weighs around 146 grams and is approximately 37cm from end to end, with the flat part of the head being approximately 10cm x 8cm. The handle is easy and comfortable to grip courtesy of the raised red rubber coated parts. The steel is thick enough but not too thick, so the turner does bend a little. Personally, I've always preferred completely solid turners like this one rather than fish slices with their holes.

This is very well-made and I would certainly recommend it.

[I was provided with this product for free to review.]

Deliciously Ella Every Day: Simple recipes and fantastic food for a healthy way of life
by Ella Woodward

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating book, 23 Jan. 2016
I must admit that I had no idea who Ella Woodward was until I saw this book near the top of the Amazon best-seller charts and impulsively pre-ordered it because of this. I have bought quite a few healthy eating cookbooks of various types over the years by different authors. I know in advance that I'm not going to like all the recipes and I know that some are going to be fairly simple and obvious. If you're restricting certain ingredients that are high in sugar and fat then your options are a little more limited. I'm just looking for fresh ideas really and ways to use various ingredients that I've not thought of before. I'm not a professional chef, but I'm not a novice cook either, but this book certainly opened my eyes to a few new ideas.

I was already familiar with all of the ingredients used in this book, and some of the recipes were very similar to what I have come across before. That's not surprising, but if you are new to healthier eating and this kind of cookbook, then there is wealth of information inside. Each chapter starts with a comprehensive introduction and a shopping list. Every recipe has an explanatory paragraph at the top, and where appropriate a "tweak it", "kitchen know how", "make it better" or "shop sense" footnote at the bottom, which offer additional tips. I've no real problem with the layout, except there are a few too many full page photographs of Ella Woodward and other full page photographs of random fresh ingredients. The majority of the recipes, but certainly not all, have accompanying photographs, so the space could have been better used by attaching more recipe photographs, but this is a minor issue.

I was a bit underwhelmed by some of the recipes in the first couple of chapters ("breakfast" and "healthy eating on-the-go") because some of them are very simple no-cook recipes with less than a handful of ingredients that don't require much imagination. In contrast, as you get towards the end of the book, in the later chapters (in particular "big batch cooking" and "simple sweets") the recipes are mostly far from obvious and quite creative. Having only owned the book for a couple of days I obviously can't claim to have tried many of the recipes, but I have tried the chickpea, quinoa and turmeric curry because I had all of the ingredients to hand. I've made curries of that sort before but the combination of ingredients was a bit different and I must admit it turned out very well indeed. I can see how many of the other recipes would work, but at the same time can't quite imagine the taste, so there are a few more to try in the next week or two. No great cooking skill is required for any of the recipes, basic techniques are all that is needed.

Overall, I am very satisfied with what is a well-written and interesting book. It will be particularly useful for those with not much experience with healthy eating.

Since there is currently no option to look inside the book on Amazon, I have added a list of contents and recipes.

The contents page looks like this:

Introduction 7
Big batch cooking 162
Simple sweets 194
Recipe index 242
Index 244

The full list of recipes:

Maple chia pots
Banana breakfast bars
Kale & cucumber smoothie
Super spinach smoothie
Sweet smoothie bowl
My morning smoothie four ways
Creamy cashew milk

Sweet potato and garlic purée
Smoky aubergine dip
Black bean hummus
Spicy turmeric hummus
Fresh mint and cashew pesto
Miso and sesame brown rice
Tahini buckwheat
Lemon quinoa
Sesame marinated kale
Cashew coleslaw
Courgette and carrot strip salad
Sun-dried tomato & courgette noodles
Baked tomato chickpeas
Perfect pesto veggies
Spiced squash and sweet potato chunks
Roasted parsnip 'fries'
Carrot, beetroot and sesame salad

Chickpea and squash salad
Wilted spinach and black bean salad
Middle Eastern-inspired salad
Sautéed potato, kale and hummus
Sweet potato and rocket
Simple cucumber and tomato salad
Pad Thai
Green beans and salsa
Winter kale salad
Mango and avocado salsa
Sweet wild rice, cabbage and sesame
Roasted maple sprouts
Easy salad dressings, five ways

Spiced lentil soup
Bright pink soup
Sweet potato and coconut soup
Clean-out-the-fridge-soup
Chunky carrot and kale soup
Cleansing avocado soup
Pea and cauliflower bowl
Roasted aubergine and tahini bowl
Mushroom-stuffed peppers
The best baked sweet potato
Almond butter quinoa
Green goodness bowl
Honey and mushroom quinoa
Herbed lentil bowl
Comforting mashed potato bowl
Easy pasta arrabbiata
Warming pesto butter beans
Quinoa nori rolls with avocado cream
Buddha bowl

Spiced sweet potato stew
Chickpea, quinoa and turmeric curry
Veggie paella
Creamy sweet potato risotto
Warming winter bowls
Cauliflower pizza
Black bean burgers
Mushroom risotto with basil cream
Easy ratatouille
Kale and cannellini stew with sweet potato wedges
My favourite sweet potato cakes
Creamy carbonara
Spicy lentil and aubergine pasta

Gooey black bean brownies
Gingerbread cookies
Energy bites, two ways
Cacao, oat and raisin cookies
Quinoa and cacao crispy treats
Trail mix, two ways
Cinnamon-coconut popcorn
Coconut and raspberry mousse
Summer strawberry-banana crumble
Chocolate and hazelnut tarts
Winter-spiced pear and apple crumble
Chocolate ganache cake
Pecan pie
Double chocolate cheesecake brownies
Chocolate caramel slices
Spiced fruit bowls
Fizzy truffles
Hot chocolate
Warm beet and apple juice
Warming turmeric tonic
Spicy honey lemon tea
Fresh mint tea
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2016 7:39 PM GMT

HandiStitch 10 Piece Beading Crafting Jewellery Making Tool Kit Set Craft Pliers DIY
Offered by Kurtzie - Fast Shipping

4.0 out of 5 stars Competent kit, 21 Jan. 2016
This is a pretty good tool kit. The six pairs of pliers would be the main selling point. These pilers are varied in size and function and are well-made, comparing very well to a single pair of pliers of similar design that I already own. The listing photographs paint a very accurate picture of what you receive, particularly if you use the expanded view to look more closely at the pliers. The ruler, tweezers, bead rimer, and scoop are of a reasonable quality as well and won't break easily.

The carrying case folds in half and can be zipped up. The elasticated hoops securing the pliers to the case could be a little more taut, as when I opened up the case for the first time all of the pliers had come loose and fell out. This is a minor detail of little consequence though.

This is certainly a useful tool kit.

[I was provided with this product for free to review]

Surenow low-rise sexy underwear non-trace modal Absorb sweat keep the Body Shape
Offered by ConquerNow
Price: £9.99 - £19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 21 Jan. 2016
I obtained these in white, and can confirm that the listing photographs are an extremely accurate representation of what you receive. The description is somewhat bizarre ( "It provides performance and fits your need for ease of movement.Freedom of movement Dry feeling and a cool Part form, Part function, All sex" ), with something being lost in translation I assume. The raised area at the front is because there is basically a shoulder pad in there. It feels rather like wearing a cricket box in some ways. This is not something I would choose and certainly feels rather restrictive. The "dry feeling" part leaves me scratching my head as I've yet to wear underwear that leaves me feeling wet. The "all sex" part of the description is best not commented on!

I was right on the borderline between small and medium according to the size guide but always err on the side of caution and order the bigger size when it comes to underwear. This is a good idea as the medium is fairly tight fitting; I certainly wouldn't want to squeeze into the small. The material itself isn't too bad and the waistband is alright. The design and fit are sadly far from ideal.

[I was provided with this product for free to review.]

EasySMX Apple MFi Certified 2-in-1 USB Cable with 8-pin Lightning Connector and Micro USB Connector 3.3ft (1 meter) Charging and Syncing for iPhone iPad IPod and Android Mobile Phones and Tablets (Red)
Offered by ZILONG

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 20 Jan. 2016
There's not a great deal you can say about a cable, but I must admit that I now steer clear of items that are not Apple MFi Certified after an unfortunate incident with a power bank that left me needing to restore my phone using iTunes. This left me completely unable to use my phone while away from home for a day or two, which I want to try to avoid in future as it was hugely inconvenient. Apple MFi Certified cables and devices should also avoided the dreaded "this accessory may not be supported" error message appearing on the screen. After some syncing with iTunes and several charges with this cable, that message has been pleasingly absent.

Red is as good a colour as any for a cable, and I quite like that it is flat (around 0.5cm wide), which is a little different. Personally, the ability to remove the end and use it as a micro USB cable is a redundant feature as I have far more micro USB cables than I do Apple compatible lightning connectors, but it's a nice option to have perhaps if you're away from home and don't want to carry too many cables. Clearly you can't use both connectors to charge two devices at once, you have to choose one or the other. In use, the cable charges and syncs seemingly at the same rate as the official Apple cable that was supplied with my phone.

[I was provided with this product for a large discount to review.]

Dailyart® 2M Elegant Drops 20lights LED String Light, Warm White Glow, Battery-Powered
Offered by Dailyart

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely lights, 20 Jan. 2016
I am pretty impressed with these lights, which provide an excellent decoration and source of illumination. The listing photographs are a good representation of what you receive, probably far better than any photograph I can take of the lights when illuminated. They are not your typical fairy lights and are a bit different to what I have come across before, both in size (each light is over 4.5cm long) and design. A huge advantage is the fact that these lights are portable due to being battery powered. You can therefore place them anywhere you like, without needing a mains socket. I am not sure exactly how long three AA batteries will last, it also depends on the type of batteries and their charge, but the lights seem to use little power (10 watts apparently) as I have not had to change the batteries after an hour or two of use. It is probably a good idea to have rechargeable batteries handy. I can't be sure what will happen if one bulb fails; will all the others go off too? I'm guessing not but can't be sure.

These lights are a nice decoration that resemble the light from 20 small candles if anything.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20