Profile for red0209 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Iliada Extra Virgin Olive Oil 3 Litre Tin
Iliada Extra Virgin Olive Oil 3 Litre Tin

5.0 out of 5 stars Optimum olive oil, 7 Sept. 2015
Having watched the odd TV documentary about food, and in particular olive oil, it would seem that the veracity of olive oil can often be questionable. There have even been books written about the murky world of olive oil production (Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil for example). Even expensive olive oil bought in supermarkets can often apparently be of dubious purity. This Iliada olive oil from the Kalamata region of Greece has PDO status so you would certainly hope that it is genuine. Kalamata olive oil certainly has a good reputation, and the taste of this particular oil is certainly different from most others that I have sampled in the past. I would call the taste sweet and almost nutty. This is very good news for me as when it comes to eating olives and consuming olive oil, the one thing that puts me off is when the olives or their oil taste bitter. You certainly could not accuse this Iliada olive oil of tasting bitter. I am not the world's leading expert on olive oil, but I have travelled to Greece and Italy many times and have eaten in many restaurants there and consumed a lot of olive oil. I would like to think I could tell most of the time if olive oil is of poor quality or adulterated and I certainly don't believe this olive oil is.

The best before date was around 16 months after the date of delivery.

[Digitaltrends's Pick] Vansky® Universal Waterproof Case Dry Bag For iPhone 6, 6 plus, 6s, 6s plus, 5, 5s, 4, Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge S5 S4, Samsung Note 4,3,2; Durable Waterproof Bag, Eco-Friendly TPU construction and IPX8 Certified to 100 Feet (Black)
Offered by Vansky Official

5.0 out of 5 stars Commendable case, 7 Sept. 2015
The listing for this waterproof case (at the time of writing) is a little confusing as it states both that the case is waterproof up to 30 feet and that it is waterproof up to 100 feet. I can verify that a label on the box states 100 feet, so it seems that the listing must have meant 30 metres and not 30 feet. I must admit that not being a diver or deep sea swimmer, that I've no way of testing this case to its limit. The test paper is a nice touch, as you wouldn't necessarily trust an expensive smartphone to an unknown case, although a piece of kitchen roll would do the same job. There would appear to be no reason to worry as the seal seems very reliable and strong. You're effectively locking two parallel pieces of plastic together at the top. I submerged the case in a large bowl of water overnight and there was absolutely no leakage the next morning.

While designed to fit an iPhone 6, this case will happily accommodate every other smaller smartphone, which is most of them of course. You could even fit a passport or other similar item inside. I have found perhaps a slightly unusual use for it as being a regular runner, I found that I can attach the lanyard and run with the case suspended around my neck while keeping my phone dry. The strap that I use for my arm while running is not waterproof, so your always worry about your phone getting wet when it rains. I think I actually prefer wearing my phone on my chest than my arm as long as I wear a fairly tight-fitting t-shirt to stop it swinging around too much. This waterproof case itself is lightweight enough (only about 58 grams) to be flexible as to how and where you carry it. I'm sure it will be very useful for beach goers and those who spend a lot of time around water.

Overall, I am very impressed with this case and would certainly recommend it. [I was provided with this product for free to review.]

Lovely Silver Satin Colour Photo Frame 6" x 8" (Landscape Or Portrait)
Lovely Silver Satin Colour Photo Frame 6" x 8" (Landscape Or Portrait)
Offered by Adelbrook

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourable photo frame, 6 Sept. 2015
This photo frame looks extremely good given the fairly low price. It is made from strong metal, with a felt covered piece of wood at the back, which slides in and out. There is another pentagonal piece of felt covered wood attached to this, with a hinge to enable you to stand this photo frame up. It's not particularly heavy, at just over 280 grams so you shouldn't have any problems securing it to the wall if that is what you plan to do with it. The glass and metal surround on the front are easy to keep clean and shiny. Overall, pretty good value for money I would say.

iNeibo Kitchen Silicone Slotted Turner Spatula - With Strong Silicone Covering Head And Stay-cool Stainless Steel Handle (Slotted Turner)
Offered by Keisound-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous fish slice, 6 Sept. 2015
I own a number of these iNeibo kitchen utensils and they are mostly pretty good. This silicone slotted turner and spatula (or fish slice if you prefer) has a nice, smooth stainless steel handle that is fairly seamlessly joined to the silicone head. The silicone seems a decent quality, although not the best I have ever come across. It is not entirely rigid, with a little bit of give and is apparently heat proof up to 425F (I have not tested it to its limit). The silicone head of this utensil is around 12cm from end to end. The whole thing weighs around 80 grams. I much prefer non-metallic utensils like this one for most kitchen tasks, as they do not scratch your pans and cast iron casseroles. I can't find any fault with this silicone fish slice at all and find it very useful indeed. [I was provided with this product for free to review.]

River Cafe Two Easy
River Cafe Two Easy
by Rose Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Italian cookery, 6 Sept. 2015
This review is from: River Cafe Two Easy (Hardcover)
This is probably not a recipe book to buy if you're looking for elaborate or obscure recipes that few people have heard of. Virtually all of the recipes feature eight or less ingredients, some quite a lot less than eight. The majority feature good quality photographs of the desired outcome. The layout of the book is nice and simple, with the ingredients listed in bold in the left margin, the title in red at the top and the method down the middle of the page. The simplicity of the recipes means that acquiring good ingredients is probably more difficult than actually cooking them. I'm certainly not the world's best cook but I can and have followed several of the recipes successfully. I like Italian food but I am not the most experienced when it comes to preparing it, so this book is very useful indeed.

Sinca Unisex Electroplated Anti Fog Protective Swim Goggles Swimming Glasses for Adults Men Women
Offered by TopBrandBOXUK

2.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose for me, 6 Sept. 2015
These goggles just do not work for me. The first problem is that on either side of the nose connector there are two raised bits, which are hard and fairly sharp. After a minute or two of these digging into your nose, it begins to hurt. If you slacken the goggles, then you risk them falling off or water leaking into your eyes. I found that even when the goggles are worn as tightly as you can tolerate, there is a very small amount of water leakage, which seems to be coming from underneath my eyes.

These goggles are certainly not all bad and there are some good points. I did not notice any significant fogging and generally the vision through the lenses is pretty good. The best feature is probably the strap, which is adjusted by pulling it through a slot on each side. There are ridges on the strap that prevent it adjusting itself during use, which are just flexible enough to allow you to adjust it when you want to. There is a clip which fastens at the back by hooking onto an elliptical piece of plastic, which I very much like the design of. The strap will extend to fit all but the biggest of heads. The goggles also come with a half-decent solid plastic carry case.

Overall though, I just can't tolerate these goggles for long. After a couple of minutes in the water, the top of my nose was hurting from where the nose connector was digging in and there was a reasonable amount of leakage. I may have an unusually shaped head and nose, although I am hardly the Elephant Man, which is perhaps why I am struggling with these goggles. Others may, and seemingly do, have a completely different experience when using them. It is a shame as there are some good features, but I won't be using these swimming goggles again after my initial trial run. [I was provided with this product for free to review.]

Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner
Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner

4.0 out of 5 stars Scans well, but slightly questionable build quality, 4 Sept. 2015
The first thing I should note about this scanner is that I bought one almost three years ago and had to return it as it was just completely jammed the first time I took it out of the box. For whatever reason, it just would not work at all. I was a little disheartened by that and opted for a refund rather than a replacement, and put my plan to digitise around 1,500 family 35mm slides from the 1970's on the back burner.

Not so long ago I saw one of these V700 photo scanners offered as a clearance deal at an electrical store, so I thought I would give it another chance. I am glad I did so as I have now been able to successfully scan all of the 35mm slides and have prints made. At the same time as I first bought this scanner, I did try a much cheaper slide scanner and was very disappointed with the results. If you want good resolution, sharpness and colour, you probably do need to pay a little more for a scanner it would seem. For 35mm slides that had never been properly scanned before, it really was enlightening to see the quality of the results when using this scanner. The software that Epson have included with this scanner is more than decent in my opinion, but there are other options out there which some people prefer. You can certainly experiment with different settings when it comes to old slides that might need a bit of adjustment in order for them to look their best.

Small issues I have are that the slide holder always seems like it is about to break unless you handle it with care. The scan speed is not the fastest I have ever seen if you are in a hurry, but that won't be an issue for most people. Generally though, this scanner is pretty impressive and I certainly wouldn't put anyone off buying one.

Umbrella,Chafon CF-AS001 New 3 in 1 Auto Open & Close Compact Folding Umbrella with Reflective Stripe,Safety Hammer,Seatbelt Cutter Escape Tool-Black
Offered by Chafon UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Unobjectionable umbrella, 4 Sept. 2015
If you were just handed this umbrella without reading the product listing or looking at the packaging, you might not notice the safety hammer or the seat belt cutter, particularly as there is a rubber cap over the safety hammer. This is probably a good thing as they are bizarre features to include on an umbrella, because when you are going to need to cut and break yourself out of your car? If you do find yourself in that unfortunate situation for any reason, you are likely to be unconscious or unable to reach for or use your umbrella anyway. Looking at this just as an umbrella, it is a very good telescopic umbrella. The canopy looks and feels good, with a nice silver trim around the edge. I've been outside in a moderate wind and it didn't feel like the umbrella was going to turn itself inside out, at least not unless the wind picked up considerably. The handle is strong and is easy to grip, with the safety hammer perhaps even helping to provide better grip. The umbrella opens and closes quickly and easily at the push of a button. Also included with it is a case, which I found to be superfluous and discarded as it takes up more space than just storing the umbrella in its cover.

In my opinion, you don't need the gimmicks (hammer, cutter, case) and if you're making an umbrella you should just concentrate on making the best umbrella that you can. The unnecessary features don't detract in any way from what is a very good umbrella though, which stands comparison with any other telescopic umbrellas of a similar price that I have come across. [I was provided with this product for free to review.]

McDougalls Self Raising Flour, 1250g
McDougalls Self Raising Flour, 1250g

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous flour, 4 Sept. 2015
This is of course exactly the same McDougall's self raising flour that you can buy in any supermarket. I am very dubious about the wisdom of paying extra for "premium" flour brands as the cheaper brands always produce identical results in my opinion. I certainly can't find any fault with McDougall's flour but at the same time I can admit that the only reason I purchased it was because it was reduced in price as part of Amazon's Warehouse Deals. The resulting cakes made from this were delightful though!

Party Cooking - Cordon Bleu
Party Cooking - Cordon Bleu
by Rosemary Hume

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, with a lot of irrelevance, 4 Sept. 2015
I love this Cordon Bleu series of recipe books, that remains largely relevant (mostly, perhaps not this book) and useful over 40 years after they were first published. The introduction to these books does always assume that only women ever cook though! This book doesn't bother with large, superfluous glossy photographs and is small (14cm x 22cm) and concise. The layout is great, with effective use of bold text to highlight ingredients and recipe titles. If a recipe needs further explanation, it continues onto a second page with multiple photographs if necessary. Simpler recipes appear two or more to a page. Chapters include: Notes and basic recipes, Christmas and Boxing Day, New Year's Eve, Twelfth Night, Easter, Children's Birthday Party, Weddings, 21st Birthday Party, Hallowe'en, Guy Fawkes and Teenage Parties.

To be brutally honest, this is not one of the better books in this Cordon Bleu series, as well as being several pages less than most of the others. The recipes seem a randomly assembled bunch, with some pointless ones like sandwiches. You also get menus for a certain number of people appearing in photographs laid out on a table at various points in the book, which does not serve much of a purpose in my opinion. If you ever wanted a detailed set of instructions for making a wedding cake, then this book could be worthwhile (although this same recipe is in the much more relevant “”Cordon Bleu Baking 1””). While a lot of the recipes have some merit, there are things like preparing good coffee or making hot punches as well. This is not a terrible book by any means but not one that I would recommend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20