Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Captain
Captain

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed Mayday and read this on the back of it, 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: Captain (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed Mayday and read this on the back of it. It's a good plot but I was disappointed by the quality of the writing. Was I being too picky, I wonder? The constant changes of viewpoint mid paragraph and the use of unnecessary words like literally and personally grated this time round. Maybe I was being too picky, but it spoilt the story for me. Pity, because I was looking forward to enjoying thisone. It made me want to go back to Mayday and work out why it was later rewritten.

The Good Guy's Guide To Getting The Girl
The Good Guy's Guide To Getting The Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 12 Sep 2014
The front cover makes this book look like a guy's self help guide. Don't be put off by that. It's a novel and a good one. The. Quality of writing and the humour put this book in the top ranks for me. Well done Peter Jones.

Not Your Legacy
Not Your Legacy

3.0 out of 5 stars A writer with a future, 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: Not Your Legacy (Kindle Edition)
It didn’t take me long to realise that Samantha Wright has a talent for writing. The descriptive passages and “turn of phrase” she uses so cleverly convinced me that this is a writer who could go far. But she still has much to learn.
This is yet another misery-lit book and it doubt it will go far. It hacks cohesion in places, it does not give us any new insight into marital breakdown and it badly needs professional editing. But let’s put that aside because it is the writer’s depth of insight and her ability to use words so skilfully that impressed me. She could, if she puts her mind to it, give us the great Northern Ireland conflict book in the way that The Kite Runner is the great Afghan conflict book. I hope she will.
Samantha, I suggest you study Kite Runner carefully to learn how it neatly combines plot with great characterisation. You could learn more about plot from Divorcing Jack and you could learn more about characterisation from The Gallows on Warlock Hill. Read those books as an exercise in development. Then sit down and start crafting your own great Northern Ireland opus. You can do it and I will look forward to reading it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2014 7:30 PM BST

Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate (PC)
Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too complicated, 17 Jun 2014
I have used Pinnacle Studio for the past ten years and been happy with it. I upgraded from version 15 to version 17 in the expectation of a few good improvements. What I got was not an upgrade but a totally different system. I found it so confusing I have reverted to version 15. Version 17 should not be called Pinnacle Studio. Give it a different name so that users are not fooled the way I was.

Mr Cavell's Diamond
Mr Cavell's Diamond

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy read and well-told story, 31 May 2014
A story simply told and all the better for its simplicity. In an age when romance is so often described with graphic imagery, it makes a pleasant change to discovery a story that depends wholly upon well crafted plot and characterisations. Well done, Kathleen McGurl. Keep on writing like this.

The Soldier's Return (The Soldier's Song Trilogy)
The Soldier's Return (The Soldier's Song Trilogy)

3.0 out of 5 stars A pity it seemed unbalanced, 13 April 2014
I enjoyed much of this book. I thought the descriptions of life on the battlefield were particularly well researched and very well described. I balked, however, when I found myself having to read the political views of DeValera, supposedly come from his own mouth. The very fact of that political propaganda being quoted verbatim would have made my close the book there and then, had I not wanted to find out more about what happened on the battlefield. Did I really need to read this in order to follow Ryan's story? I think not, and I think it added a somewhat uneven balance to a novel that might otherwise have held my attention from start to finish. I did not buy the book in order to read Irish Republican propaganda. Nevertheless, I do give the author full credit for his ability to bring the war to life in a convincing manner.

Reef
Reef

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing take on the Antipodes, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Reef (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book on a number of levels. I was able to picture the New Zealand locations from memory and picture the Dorset locations from living close by. The story had meaning for me. I also found the characters intriguing. For me, it was a well-written novel that held my attention. I look forward to reading more by David Kendrick.

ELEMENTS OF LIFE (BOOK 1)
ELEMENTS OF LIFE (BOOK 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem, 30 Jan 2014
David Kendrick' Elements touched me from the first few words. As a grandfather I found myself deeply moved by the story of a child coming to terms with the loss of a grandparent. I had to read on and I found each short story to be a little gem in its own right. It is not often I will read a book of short stories but this is one I can well recommend, and it is one I will want to read again and again.

The Poisoned Cup
The Poisoned Cup

5.0 out of 5 stars A rollicking good read, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Poisoned Cup (Kindle Edition)
I bought this one last night and couldn’t put it down until I finished it. It reads like a Bernard Cornwell novel. The key character is an aging English knight working for King Edward the First to try to bring about a lasting peace with Scotland. He is thwarted when the Scottish king Alexander is killed in an accident. One of the secondary characters is William Wallace but this is a very different Wallace to the one you see in the Braveheart film. He is far from being a hero. According to Lanyon’s notes, this is the more accurate version of him. I’m no historian so I can’t judge, but I do know that those were brutal times. With that in mind, the book’s portrayal comes across as more credible than the film image. That aside, this is a just a rollicking good historical tale with knights, battles and a beautiful young maiden. A great first novel from this new writer.

Calculated Risk
Calculated Risk

5.0 out of 5 stars A straightforward heart-warming story, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: Calculated Risk (Kindle Edition)
I read this book at a time when I was in the middle of a house move and was pipped at the post just like Ms Fawcett's heroine. The story cheered me enormously at a time when I was getting somewhat frustrated. I am choosy in what I read but I found Pat Fawcett has written a well-crafted story that holds its head with the best. With twenty published novels to her credit, who could expect otherwise. This is one I can recommend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4