Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Spider and the Stone: A Novel of  Scotland's Black Douglas
The Spider and the Stone: A Novel of Scotland's Black Douglas

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed history, 26 April 2015
I wasn't convinced by this view of history. It generally boiled down to English: bad. Scottish: good. History is far more complex than that and a novel of the period should reflect a bit more truth. Try reading The Poisoned Cup by Edward Lanyon and find an alternative view of that period.

The Floral Dance
The Floral Dance

5.0 out of 5 stars Super version of the floral dance, 14 April 2015
This review is from: The Floral Dance (MP3 Download)
The tempo and sound of the way the tune is played on pan pipes is ideal. It gives a real feel for the way the dance was originally intended. Anyone could dance to this.

Hidden Truths
Hidden Truths

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange Events in a Small French Village, 27 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Hidden Truths (Kindle Edition)
When Jody Summers comes up against bad-tempered Raoul de Villiers in the French hilltop village of St Jean, she little realises what lies in store for her. What follows is more than just a tale of two people who seem to dislike one another, it is a story of mystery and adventure. What, we wonder, lies behind the local legend of missing riches? And what is happening in the house next door? Jody is suspicious and her inner turmoil grows stronger as she comes across each strange event.

The tensions rises and the mystery deepens. That, I have discovered is what makes Sheila Daglish’s stories a cut above the rest. She goes beyond the simplicity of a straightforward romance and embraces storyline twists that are designed to keep the reader interested.

Another book by Sheila that is well worth reading.

The Morning After The Life Before (Ice And A Slice Book 2)
The Morning After The Life Before (Ice And A Slice Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner, 8 Feb. 2015
You can always rely on Della Galton to come up with a winner. She did it with Ice and a Slice, and now she's done it again. If you enjoyed the first book, you'll certainly enjoy this one. I've been a fan of Della's for years, and she constantly goes up in my estimation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2015 7:36 PM GMT

Summer of Secrets
Summer of Secrets

5.0 out of 5 stars A Summer full of Mystery and Romance, 28 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Summer of Secrets (Kindle Edition)
A novelist will tell you that a well-written story begins “just as the kettle is about to boil.” In other words, straight into the action. This novel certainly fits the description.

Lacey’s arrival in Devon to help her aunt set up a hotel starts on a high note and progresses at a rate of knots that keeps the reader’s attention. It begins with a confrontation between the two main characters - Lacey and Jake. But there is something mysterious going on at Jake’s cottage.

This is not a straightforward formula romance and is all the better for it. There is an element of mystery that will have the reader wondering about rumours of pirates and ghosts. Of course, the mysteries are cleared up, but not until the end of the book.

Summer of Secrets is a well-crafted tale that starts full of promise and ends… well, I won’t spoil your enjoyment by revealing what happens in the end, but you can expect a good five-star read.

Captain
Captain

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed Mayday and read this on the back of it, 13 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Captain (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed Mayday and read this on the back of it. It's a good plot but I was disappointed by the quality of the writing. Was I being too picky, I wonder? The constant changes of viewpoint mid paragraph and the use of unnecessary words like literally and personally grated this time round. Maybe I was being too picky, but it spoilt the story for me. Pity, because I was looking forward to enjoying thisone. It made me want to go back to Mayday and work out why it was later rewritten.

The Good Guy's Guide To Getting The Girl: A Quirky 'Rom-Com' Novel
The Good Guy's Guide To Getting The Girl: A Quirky 'Rom-Com' Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 12 Sept. 2014
The front cover makes this book look like a guy's self help guide. Don't be put off by that. It's a novel and a good one. The. Quality of writing and the humour put this book in the top ranks for me. Well done Peter Jones.

Not Your Legacy
Not Your Legacy

3.0 out of 5 stars A writer with a future, 4 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Not Your Legacy (Kindle Edition)
It didn’t take me long to realise that Samantha Wright has a talent for writing. The descriptive passages and “turn of phrase” she uses so cleverly convinced me that this is a writer who could go far. But she still has much to learn.
This is yet another misery-lit book and it doubt it will go far. It hacks cohesion in places, it does not give us any new insight into marital breakdown and it badly needs professional editing. But let’s put that aside because it is the writer’s depth of insight and her ability to use words so skilfully that impressed me. She could, if she puts her mind to it, give us the great Northern Ireland conflict book in the way that The Kite Runner is the great Afghan conflict book. I hope she will.
Samantha, I suggest you study Kite Runner carefully to learn how it neatly combines plot with great characterisation. You could learn more about plot from Divorcing Jack and you could learn more about characterisation from The Gallows on Warlock Hill. Read those books as an exercise in development. Then sit down and start crafting your own great Northern Ireland opus. You can do it and I will look forward to reading it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2014 7:30 PM BST

Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate (PC)
Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too complicated, 17 Jun. 2014
I have used Pinnacle Studio for the past ten years and been happy with it. I upgraded from version 15 to version 17 in the expectation of a few good improvements. What I got was not an upgrade but a totally different system. I found it so confusing I have reverted to version 15. Version 17 should not be called Pinnacle Studio. Give it a different name so that users are not fooled the way I was.

Mr Cavell's Diamond
Mr Cavell's Diamond

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy read and well-told story, 31 May 2014
A story simply told and all the better for its simplicity. In an age when romance is so often described with graphic imagery, it makes a pleasant change to discovery a story that depends wholly upon well crafted plot and characterisations. Well done, Kathleen McGurl. Keep on writing like this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4