Profile for BatsCat > Reviews

Garnier Ultimate Blends The Sleek Restorer- Shampoo 400ml
Offered by Kiara Hair and Beauty
Price: 3.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me!, 29 Jun 2014
I have fine hair that has a horrible tendency to frizz. This tamed it perfectly, without weighing it down or making it greasy.

80 Recipes for Your Breadmaker
80 Recipes for Your Breadmaker
by Richard Ehrlich

3.0 out of 5 stars A few errors?, 14 Mar 2014
I was interested to read that a few other people have had problems with the recipes in this book. as I have had no success with 'banana bread - the sweet stuff' (p.111). My first attempt resulted in the most horrible goo and I assumed that I must have made a mistake. My second effort, however, was no better despite the fact that I measured everything out with minute accuracy. The mixture appears to be far too wet. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has had a go at this. Did you manage to create a loaf? Or did you end up with a pile of sludge that went straight in the bin?

A Year in Crete or The Diet Book that is not a Diet Book
A Year in Crete or The Diet Book that is not a Diet Book
Price: 1.96

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 26 Jan 2014
I enjoyed reading this book. It brought back many happy memories of Crete and taught me some new things as well. The recipes were a very nice bonus! The Kindle edition could do with better editing: serial offences with regard to 'it's' and 'its', for example. (Can't help it - grammar pedant.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2014 5:06 PM GMT

Andrew James Premium Bread Maker With Automatic Ingredients / Nut And Raisin Dispenser - Includes 2 Year Warranty
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD
Price: 139.95

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 19 Jan 2014
Like many of the reviewers here, I bought this machine because it seemed like a bargain compared with the Panasonic. Beware bargains. I really wish I had read all the reviews on here in detail and splashed out the extra cash to buy a decent machine. With this model, I have never yet produced a loaf which doesn't sink in the middle. The top of the bread isn't nearly as browned as the bottom, which leads me to think that the machine simply bakes at too low a temperature. I have fiddled around with bread mix recipes, altered the amount of water, yeast, sugar and salt but the results are always the same - disastrous. The only way I can create anything remotely loaf-shaped is to stand the bread upside-down, complete with paddle hole in the top. I think it is really telling that the manufacturers haven't bothered to make any comment in response to the large number of negative reviews posted on here. I think this suggests that they don't really have any answers to the problems, because the machine is at fault. And, quite frankly, I suspect that this is why they have reduced the price. But it is still way over priced for something that isn't fit for purpose. A breadmaker is a large item to have in your kitchen and the last thing you want is a large, chrome white elephant. Splash out and buy something decent. I really think Amazon should consider whether or not it wishes this lemon to remain on its site.

Who pays the ferryman ? - BBC 3 DISC SET - R2 { IMPORT }
Who pays the ferryman ? - BBC 3 DISC SET - R2 { IMPORT }
Dvd ~ JACK HEDLEY
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____
Price: 10.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun: sensitive viewers are advised to skip scenes involving Jack Hedley's shorts, 1 Oct 2013
Hammy acting, terrible studio scenes, at times highly improbable plots ... but still a very entertaining series. Betty Arvaniti looks terrific in her seventies wardrobe and even manages to appear glam with a scarf pulled tightly over her curls like a skull cap. Not an easy look to pull off. And you have to admire a girl who prances around rural Crete in high heels. Jack Hedley's short shorts are rather less of a triumph. The poor man looks as if he has simply gone a bit loopy and forgotten to put his trousers on. Perhaps that's why γιαγιά Matakis decides that assassination is the only answer. Some sartorial crimes just have to be avenged.

Breakthrough Greek (Breakthrough Language Courses)
Breakthrough Greek (Breakthrough Language Courses)
by Eleni Gambarotta

2.0 out of 5 stars No good if you want to read Greek, 5 July 2013
I thought it was worth giving this book a try but I would advise beginners against relying on it. Apart from the odd isolated word, it uses latinized, phonetic spelling throughout, so that the student never really gets to grips with the Greek alphabet. This is a pity because, despite its somewhat daunting appearance, it is not difficult to learn and you cannot study the language properly without doing so.

The House on Paradise Street
The House on Paradise Street
Price: 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvellous novel, 19 Mar 2013
This is a skilfully written novel by a highly talented author. Her prose is a delight to read and her story is powerful, gripping and meticulously researched. Anyone who is familiar with Athens will immediately recognise the sights, smells and sounds she describes so well. Those who are new to the city and its recent history will find it a fascinating insight into a country which many know only as a tourist destination. I do hope there will be many more books about the author's adopted homeland. Having finished both this and 'Eurydice Street', I feel bereft. The next budget flight to Athens will be dreary indeed!

Complete Greek: Teach Yourself Audio eBook (Kindle Enhanced Edition) (Teach Yourself Audio eBooks)
Price: 18.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this thinking you can use the audio content with Kindle Fire, 25 Oct 2012
How I wish I head read the reviews before shelling out for this. The product information is unclear to say the least. You would think, from the term 'Kindle Enhanced Edition', that Kindle owners would be able to access the audio content. In fact, it appears that they cannot. There needs to be an unequivocal warning that this ebook can only be used to its full potential if you have an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. Instead, this information is hidden under a banner saying 'Kindle Edition with Audio/Video'. Altogether grossly misleading and, since I already have the earlier version, a total waste of money.

Nosh for Students: A Fun Student Cookbook - See Every Recipe in Full Colour - 30% More Recipes Than Previous Edition
by Joy May
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cookery book I have ever bought!, 12 Oct 2012
I bought this book for my son who, like the author's son, was existing on a highly unsatisfactory student diet of pizza and chocolate. It proved to be such a great success that I bought another copy for myself. I've tried many of the recipes and have found this book unbeatable as an aid to conjuring up tasty, easy and inexpensive meals. Joy explains everything in simple terms and assumes no previous knowledge, but at the same time she isn't at all patronising. I love the layout: a simple key on the right of each page tells you how long each dish takes to prepare, how many it will feed and the degree of competence required as well as a rough idea of cost. I also like the fact that there is always a clear photo of the finished dish. No fancy equipment is needed - its great to be able to measure things by the mugful - and the ingredients are mostly things I can buy at the local shops, rather than things which require a long trek to a specialist store. I use this book regularly, which is more than I can say for many of the fancy but unloved tomes which sit on my kitchen shelf. It's great for anyone who wants to cook but doesn't want to get bogged down in complicated stuff. I have now bought Joy's vegetarian cookbook and her 'graduate' book. Personally I graduated centuries ago, but who cares?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2012 11:48 AM BST