Profile for David > Reviews

Minor Earth Major Sky
Minor Earth Major Sky
Price: 8.04

5.0 out of 5 stars just great, 10 May 2008
This review is from: Minor Earth Major Sky (Audio CD)
Just heard this album again this evening for the first time in a few years and remembered how good it is.Great songs,some of A-ha`s best and also great sound too.None of this loudness war crap here .Louder than A-ha`s eighties albums maybe,but sensibily loud with the dynamic range retained.
I remember buying my local Virgin`s store only copy in June 2000 on the day of release and I had to ask for it too!A-ha were back in obscurity then and had been for many years which is a shame as quality like this is hard to come by.
It easily beats in my view anything I `ve heard this year or last.

Accelerate (digipack)
Accelerate (digipack)
Price: 3.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Too loud as usual, 5 April 2008
This review is from: Accelerate (digipack) (Audio CD)
I agree with a previous reviewer,the record level for this album is ridiculous (as usual) which for me negates any positive qualities the songs and album as a whole may have.
Why producers feel the need to boost the sound level into obvious compression and distortion is beyond me and why bands/artists and record companies allow them to do so is beyond me too.
I thought with some negative criticism in the media recently by older producers from the sixties and seventies about this sort of practice that it might stop and sensible record levels return.Unfortunately not if this album is anything to go by!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2008 4:13 PM BST

Our Love To Admire
Our Love To Admire
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 7.41

2.0 out of 5 stars Is Carlos D sulking or just forgot to turn up his bass amp?, 10 July 2007
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
I loved the first two albums but am very disappointed with this album.

What`s happened to the massive bass that normally underpins the songs making them so dark and special?

What we are left with is a lightweight sound and to compound the problem extra treble has been thrown into the mix giving the vocals in particular a harsh sibilant edge.
The songs themselves are fine but ruined in my view by the sound.Except the last track which is tedious and boring (interestingly like the last song on the Editors album)

The same thing with the sound happened on the new Editors album too where either the bass player was feeling off colour or forgot to turn up his bass amp.And this is supposedly what is called "Stadium Sound"? If so then forget it!

I dont get this,first Editors trying to sound like Coldplay and now Interpol too....I give up...whatever next?

Fluorescent Adolescent
Fluorescent Adolescent
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 7.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a singles man myself but, 9 July 2007
This review is from: Fluorescent Adolescent (Audio CD)
Dont normally buy singles but thought I would get this one as it has three new tracks on instead of the usual one song or rehashes,re-mixes etc.

Glad I did as the three songs are as good as any on the album and I can only assume they were left off for space reasons rather than quality reasons.

If you`re into the Monkeys then do your self a favour and get this and play it either at the beginning or end of the album to make Worst Nightmare even better.

Fractured Life
Fractured Life
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too loud, 8 July 2007
This review is from: Fractured Life (Audio CD)
The songs on this debut album are not that bad sounding like a cross between Keane and Coldplay,but there is one major fault that ruins it for me.

The record level has been set way too high!
Even by the already too high levels of modern standards this album has been well over recorded.(Interestingly Keanes Under The Iron Sea is also too loud)And even when compensating with the volume control the sound still retains a certain "loud" quality in much the same way as an over recorded cassette tape use to if you didnt play proper attention to the VU meter and the peaks went well into the red.

I think record producers think we all own ghetto blasters or similar and boost up the levels to make their albums sound loud and impressive,but some of us listen to our music through expensive hi-fi systems and we want quality recordings that such systems demand.Not distorted over blown rubbish!

So,this album is now going to gather dust in my rack which is a shame as otherwise it`s not bad and as I live near Bournemouth where Air Traffic are from I wanted to like it and support a local band.

Only buy if you own any form of music playback system other than proper hi-fi.

An End Has a Start
An End Has a Start
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost but not quite, 26 Jun 2007
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
This album is easy to enjoy but has a few faults for me that stop it being truly exceptional.

Firstly it follows the common practice of being front loaded.

Why is it that so many artists producers and record companies feel the need to put all the best songs near the beginning or on side one if it is a vinyl record?

Secondly in an effort to make the lead singers voice even more massive than it already is the vocals have been turned up in the mix.The trade off however leaves the bass on the light side.

Considering it is the same producer who did the recent Bloc Party album and indeed the same studio too,I dont get this.

There the vocals were big but decent bass too.Not massive,just good weight to keep the balance right.

Here on An End Has A Start, apart from the track Bones, the bass is markedly noticeable by its absence.

The Back Room has more bass weight although the overall sound level is not so loud due to the boosted vocals on this album.(Do a comparison if you dont believe me and also listen to Bloc Party too)

And thirdly and finally,that last track Well Worn Hand.

Just cant get into it I`m afraid.It might mean alot to the singer about his friend getting killed etc,but it doesnt mean anything to me as a song.

So I now have to finish the album on Spiders which while not being bad is nowhere near as good as an album closer as Distance from the debut.

All in all then good album but it doesnt blow me away like the first one did.

On the other hand though maybe I`m being unfair in expecting any band or artist to do it to me twice!

Favourite Worst Nightmare
Favourite Worst Nightmare
Offered by Formats
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What can you say?, 22 May 2007
Is there anything left to say that hasn`t already been said?

Excellent album that gets better with every listen.

I wasn`t overly impressed on first and second listen,but then the songs kept getting into my head and I was humming them all day often to the annoyance of those around me.

I then realised how damn good this album is.

Definitely better than the first album and while I agree with the previous reviewer that perhaps there isn`t a couple of standout singles like Dancefloor and Sun Goes Down,overall in my view, this album is more complete.

One of the things I particularly like are the dynamic contrasts.When the music suddenly goes loud at the climax of Do Me A Favour and 505 my head starts going and goose bumps appear.Thrilling stuff!

Along with Bloc Party and The Maccabees, Worst Nightmare has been my best musical purchase of the year so far.

Colour It In
Colour It In

5.0 out of 5 stars Put away the crayons and grab the headphones., 21 May 2007
This review is from: Colour It In (Audio CD)
Very good debut that grows on you more and more.The sound quality however is something else entirely.Compared to my other cd`s this album sounds like it`s a super audio cd (SACD) when of course it isn`t. Just goes to show what can be achieved with humble old cd if the effort is made.Even if I didnt like the songs I would still listen to it, especially on headphones, for the sound alone.

The fact that I love the songs too makes this album all the more complete.

Best musical purchase I`ve made for a while.

Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever
Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever
Offered by westworld-
Price: 11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars My needs havent been served, 21 May 2007
I`ve heard this album a dozen times or so now and it`s alright but nothing to write home about.

I know the guy from Franz Ferdinand produced it but I`m not too impressed with the sound quality which doesnt help me like it.Vocal sibilances are exaggerated and on on several tracks the sound is left channel heavy,especially noticable through headphones.

But,if you like the Cribs and thought the last album was good (which I was going to get if I liked this one, but not now)then you`ll probably be well into this one.

If on the other hand you`re like me and havent tried the Cribs before,then take my advice and buy the Maccabees Colour It In instead.The songs are great and the sound quality is simply fantastic.

Yours Truly, Angry Mob
Yours Truly, Angry Mob
Offered by Sent2u
Price: 5.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst so far, 29 Mar 2007
This review is from: Yours Truly, Angry Mob (Audio CD)
I`ve bought most new releases so far this year and enjoyed the vast majority, but not this one.

Worst album by a mile.

Where are the tunes? (lyrics ok however)

I dont know about a mob,but I`m angry for buying it!

Page: 1 | 2