Profile for John > Reviews

Content by John

John (UK)

The Burning Question: We can't burn half the world's oil, coal and gas. So how do we quit?
by Mike Berners-Lee
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The book..., 3 Sep 2013
If you read one book on environmental issues/climate change EVER, make it this one. It is accessible, well written and the author has an impressive overview of the subject. The book discusses unflinchingly the enormity & urgency of the challenge, yet genuinely has hope that we can overcome it and gives his ideas as to where we should & shouldn't focus our efforts. This book demonstrates that apart from being a very serious issue, it is also an intensely fascinating one. I really cannot recommend it highly enough.

Climate Change Science: A Modern Synthesis : Volume 1 - The Physical Climate
Climate Change Science: A Modern Synthesis : Volume 1 - The Physical Climate
by G. Thomas Farmer
Price: 69.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Costly, but worth it., 28 July 2013
Having read this book/textbook from cover to cover I feel I have achieved what I set out to accomplish: To gain a birdseye view of the subject of Climate Science without getting swamped in the detail of this massive subject. The textbook is well written and manages to convey the main concepts to someone who has a reasonable scientific literacy without dumming down the subject. The book gives an insight into the complexity of the climate system and is a fascinating subject to read about. The book is also (at this point in time) very up to date. One big drawback is the cost, though I can't say that I have any regrets.

LUPO Earbud Earphones for Apple iPhone 5S 5 4S 4 iPad iPod Samsung HTC Sony LG Phones MP3 MP4 - WHITE

1.0 out of 5 stars sound quality bad (muffled), 17 Aug 2009
Before buying this product I checked through the other reviews to see how the sound quality was. Some said it was bad, some said it was ok. Turns out the quality is low and therefore the product is a waste of money as far as I am concerned.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2009 8:21 PM BST

The Meaning of Life: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
The Meaning of Life: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Terry Eagleton
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars A struggle, 16 April 2009
I tried my utmost to read this book till the end, but found my eyes would glaze over. I barely made it to the end and the experience was not pleasant.
Maybe it is the fault of trying to cram too many ideas into too small a book. These ideas lack a sufficient introduction/explanation and the experience was like attending a high level lecture in a subject I had no familiarity with. Disappointing as this was supposed to be an 'introduction'.
I didn't personally feel as if the author made much effort to clarify anything he was talking about and the text seemed to regularly bounce from subject to seemingly unrelated subject without any solid conclusion being produced.
Maybe I am being a bit harsh. If you are already well read in philosophy and the other subjects touched upon in the book, then this may well be a good summary.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2011 7:42 PM BST