Profile for Wayland > Reviews

Content by Wayland

Wayland

Spurensuche Haithabu: Archäologische Spurensuche in der frühmittelalterlichen Ansiedlung Haithabu. Dokumentation und Chronik 1963-2013
by Kurt Schietzel

5.0 out of 5 stars A feast for the eyes., 8 Aug. 2015
I bought this as a source book for my living history work. It is packed with detailed drawings and clear photographs of many of the artefacts found during the Haithabu (Hedeby) excavations. For someone like myself, very useful indeed.

Unfortunately I don't read German, so on the odd occasion that I need more detail than I can glean from the pictures, I have to get bits translated for me. As such I cannot really review the text I'm afraid but if it's anywhere near as good as the graphical layout and production of the book then I'm sure it's a fascinating read.

Sadly it's the sort of specialist book that will probably never see an English version printed, however, if like me you can learn a lot from illustrations then I would highly recommend this book if you are interested in the Viking age.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The best money I have spent in a long time., 8 Aug. 2015
I bought these as detail knives for relief carving and would have to say they are superb value for money.

Two of these knives hardly left the workspace on a big project I have just completed they were so useful. The other too were handy occasionally as well but all kept a great edge, even working on seasoned oak. I only polished them up about once a day and that was more out of habit than necessity.

I am just about to order a second set to include in my travelling craft bag. I want to have these close at hand when and wherever I next start carving wood.

Seascape Photography - Vision & Composition (Harvesting Light Seascape Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Targetted mainly at beginners., 17 Dec. 2013
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed "Seeing the unseen." I was keen to read more from this author. Frankly I am a little disappointed.

There is a huge lack of books written for advanced photographers and that was exactly what I enjoyed about Seeing the unseen. I bought this e-book hoping that the series would progress in the same direction but I am not sure I am even going to finish this book, let alone buy the next ones in the series.

This e-book is written in a language aimed at people who perhaps have only just realised that a camera could be used for anything more than snapshots. It sits as an average text in a highly saturated market. I know that the author is capable of delivering so much more and the quality of the photography testifies to that as well.

An enormous amount of text is dedicated to telling you what the book is going to tell you which I found very annoying. I kept thinking "I've got the book, you can stop trying to sell it to me and please get on with it now."

Bush Arts
Bush Arts

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are looking for Rambo "survival" stuff this is not the book you're looking for, try something by Edward Grylls instead., 15 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Bush Arts (Kindle Edition)
Bush Arts pre dates Mors more famous book, Northern Bushcraft, and is interesting if you like making things from natural materials.

There are simple craft ideas here that would be ideal for working with kids and the skills learned while constructing these projects should not to be underestimated.

The Hidden Power of Blend Modes in Adobe Photoshop
The Hidden Power of Blend Modes in Adobe Photoshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Brain Food, 7 July 2013
You probably won't use everything you find in this book but I'm sure you will find a lot to think about.

My first read of this book left my head spinning with possibilities I just hadn't thought of. As a photographer, some are of limited use but others can be used to tackle issues that are difficult to target any other way.

Intermediate to advanced users will enjoy this book.

The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop
by Jeff Schewe

5.0 out of 5 stars A new classic reference., 31 Mar. 2013
As an old school film photographer that cut my teeth on books by Adams, Coote and Langford, when I made the change to digital working I looked hard for similar knowledgable tomes on the new technology and was greatly disappointed.

Eventually, over the years, a few authors started to appear that really got to grips with the essential science behind the art that a photographer needs to understand. The late, great, Bruce Fraser was one of these that will be sadly missed but Jeff Schewe has produced in this volume an essential reference that should be on the shelf of any one that wants to actually be in control of their photography instead of just being a slave to the technology.

Seeing the Unseen - How to Photograph Landscapes at Night
Seeing the Unseen - How to Photograph Landscapes at Night

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, the book we've all been looking for., 31 Mar. 2013
I've looked at lots of books to answer the basic questions about what happens when we start to push beyond the traditional "Kodak" moment.

Most of those books skirt around the issues but this one hits them straight on and says "This is what you can achieve and this is how you do it."

One of the most inspiring books I have read in years and now a constant reference.

Energizer FLNP50 Digital Camera Battery Equivalent to Fuji NP-50, Pentax D-Li68, Kodak KLIC-7004 Battery
Offered by ExpressPro

1.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect item description., 26 Sept. 2012
I ordered this battery and when it arrived it was marked 750mAh

When I queried this with Amazon I was told that the item description was wrong.

It would appear that is still the case. Beware - this is not a 1000mAh battery...

People of Eight Seasons
People of Eight Seasons
by Ernst Manker; Tre Tryckare

5.0 out of 5 stars A Saami treasuretrove, 14 Jun. 2011
I once found a Swedish copy of this book in a Norwegian bookshop. It was worth buying for the beautiful line drawings alone.

Many years later I found this English language edition and found the text to be just as useful. If you are even remotely interested in Saami life and handicrafts, this is the book you are looking for.

Camping in the Old Style
Camping in the Old Style
by Dave Wescott

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 14 Jun. 2011
My opinion of this book is really divided.

The content is really good being a sampler of most of the key texts on this "old school" style of camping.

Unfortunately the paper quality and design of the book are a real let down. The paper is cheap pulp which fails to hold even newspaper quality printing. Most of the photographic images are difficult to discern and in many places the muddy grey text is set over slightly less muddy grey backgrounds rendering it almost impossible to read important sections.

It is a book that rewards your perseverance but I would like to see a newer edition with much better thought out design and execution.