Profile for worldtrekker > Reviews

worldtrekker

The Brutal Art
The Brutal Art

4.0 out of 5 stars Good multi-dimensional thriller., 15 May 2014
This review is from: The Brutal Art (Kindle Edition)
I had to persevere with the slightly bizarre first few chapters, where the main character seems to be apologising for not being Raymond Chandler and comes across as being pretentious and unpleasant, but do stick with it, as it suddenly settles down and is a really good read. A good and challenging thriller with an unusual slant, with an underlying and thought-provoking debate on the value of art which continues to develope throughout the book without getting in the way of the plot. The angles on relationships, both familial and romantic, was also intelligently and subtly dealt with, including the impact of poor parenting and personality disorder on later generations. It only lost a star for the odd beginning and slightly flat ending, but it all ties together pretty well. For those who like their thrillers unremittingly dark, bleak and Scandiwegian, (like my OH), you may find the relationship/family stuff gets in the way, but for me it was a change to read a more multi-dimensional thriller. I'd thoroughly recommend this book as a good and intelligent thriller with a twist.

The Perpetual Astonishment of Jonathon Fairfax
The Perpetual Astonishment of Jonathon Fairfax

2.0 out of 5 stars Astonished by the good reviews, 15 May 2014
I downloaded this onto Kindle as I wanted a book with a sense of humour and a decent plot and was encouraged by the reviews. All I can say is I must have a different sense of humour to those who liked it. It has its moments, but the style of writing suggests a first novel and a poor editor. The plot swings between time zones and storylines in a manner that doesn't work particularly well. Eventually I started getting confused by the relationship between the characters, I found I couldn't warm to any of them, and then I got to a point where I just didn't care any more and gave up. If it hits your particular sense of humour, you may enjoy it, but it's not for me.

BDX0501 New first2savvv heavy duty black camera case for Sony DSC-RX100,DSC-HX50,DSC-RX100II & Canon PowerShot SX270 HS,PowerShot SX280 HS & SAMSUNG WB250F,WB800F & Nikon COOLPIX A ,COOLPIX AW110 & OLYMPUS VR-370,XZ-10 & FUJIFILM FinePix F900EXR ,FinePix JV500 ,FinePix JZ200 & Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1,DMC-FT25,DMC-FT5 & CASIO EXILIM EX-ZS150,EXILIM EX-ZS150,EXILIM EX-ZR15
Offered by first2savvv

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the Sony RX100, 15 May 2014
Despite this being linked to the details for the Sony RX100 (people who bought...also bought), this isn't that suitable for this camera. Had I tried it in a shop first, I wouldn't have bought it. Yes, it fits, but it's a VERY tight fit, and the case is obviously designed for a camera with a built in grip, and doesn't accommodate the profile of the RX100 that well. It's only by virtue of the thin foam lining and the slight flexibility of the outer case that it fits. I'll keep it, as it is still small enough to slip into your pocket and fairly good quality, and I can't be bothered to go through the trial and error of finding one that actually does fit and the hassle of repackaging and returning them until I do, but I wouldn't feel comfortable about storing a spare memory card in it in case it gets damaged by the pressure, and it certainly wouldn't take a spare battery, which are one of the reasons I wanted this additional case instead of the moulded leather case I already have. So a good case, but not for the Sony RX100. Disappointing purchase.

Salter Stainless Steel 1035 SSBKDR Platform Electronic Kitchen Scale
Salter Stainless Steel 1035 SSBKDR Platform Electronic Kitchen Scale
Offered by Harts Of Stur

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, hopeless packaging, 6 Sep 2013
I always despair of people whose reviews wax lyrical about the packaging and delivery service and say nothing about the product, but on this occasion I have to join them.

First, the product is lovely. Buy one. I would give the scales themselves at least 4 stars.

But the packaging??? They just slapped an address label and postage sticker over the box the scales are packaged in, and sent it out. No envelope, no plastic bag, no padding, no brown paper, no outer box, nothing. One end of the box was even unsealed, so the scales could easily have fallen out! As it was a gift, I had to somehow peel the labels off the box, which left a load of sticky goo and damaged the print on the box, then wrap it in clingfilm to stop it sticking to the wrapping paper. I was frankly gobsmacked at the utter indifference and sloppy attitude of the supplier. Do buy these scales, but not from these guys !!

The Thick Of It: The Complete Series 1-3 & Specials [DVD]
The Thick Of It: The Complete Series 1-3 & Specials [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Addison
Offered by Sent2u

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Yes Minister look like The Waltons, 11 Mar 2013
Took me years to pluck up the courage to watch this as I couldn't cope with the stress levels, but so glad I did. Malcolm Tucker is just the most obnoxious character ever portrayed, a hissing, spitting, snarling, ball of concentrated bile with no redeeming features whatsoever. He is surrounded by lackeys and bumbling incompetents at every turn, and the hapless MPs are left trying to remember why they entered politics at all when faced with the reality of the world they have entered. It pains me to think that this reflects real life in our Corridors of Power, and makes "Yes Minister" look like The Waltons. I wish I could tell you why such an unpromising and revolting combination had me howling with laughter. Very very classy stuff, and utterly compulsive viewing. Just WISH they'd made more!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2013 12:23 AM BST

Trollied - Series 1 [DVD]
Trollied - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jane Horrocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Fell off my trolley laughing, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Trollied - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Completely fantastic, sums up the ethos of the big supermarkets and their employees brilliantly. I docked one star as some of the characters were toe-curlingly painful to watch, but only because they're so true to life! Well worth watching.

State of Wonder
State of Wonder

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonder where it's going, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: State of Wonder (Kindle Edition)
Rather slow and lacking in depth, with rather cliched characters. I was waiting for some great revelation or deep intrigue, or at least some sort of crescendo, and while her discoveries about the research and the tribes in the amazon were undeniably odd, it never really delivered. It sort of ground along to the end, and then it ended. The only thing that kept me going through it is that it's very evocative of what it's like to be in the amazon jungle - anyone who's been there will really relate to it, but other than that, a vaguely enjoyable and undemanding book if you don't have something more engaging to hand.

The Creation Memos
The Creation Memos
by Geoffrey Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsory reading for builders and consultants, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Creation Memos (Hardcover)
Read this book years ago and was delighted to find it's still available, albeit second hand. It's basically the project file for correspondence relating to the commissioning, design and construction of dear old Planet Earth, with God as project manager.

Anyone involved in the building design and construction industry, ie architects, engineers, surveyors and project managers, as well as builders, will really relate to it - it's frighteningly like most project files I've come across! A hilarious read.

Fifty Shades Trilogy Boxed Set
Fifty Shades Trilogy Boxed Set
by E L James

1.0 out of 5 stars Zero grey matter, 12 Dec 2012
An absolute miracle of marketing over content. I'll give it that much.

But really, I am so relieved I didn't get sucked into buying these tedious books, as the criminal waste of money would have added to the insult of being lead to believe these were worth reading at all. So I just skim read someone else's, and even then I feel I gave them more attention than they deserved. Goodness, what a tedious, repetitive and boring read - vacuous two dimensional cliched characters, totally unbelievable story line (I hesitate to call it an actual plot), terrible cheesy dialogue, even worse internal monologues. I do have to wonder what those who gave it five stars normally read that they thought this was remotely praiseworthy. They need to get out more.

I thought this was going to be original and ground breaking. All it did was demonstrate how effective the PR machine can be in flogging us yet more rubbish. Don't buy these. You'll wish you hadn't wasted either your time or your money, and kick yourself for getting sucked into the hype.

Habits of the House (Love and Inheritance)
Habits of the House (Love and Inheritance)
by Fay Weldon

1.0 out of 5 stars Downton Abbey on Mogadon, 21 Sep 2012
Practically the only good thing I could say about this book is the spelling, punctuation and grammar are competent. The plot is unimaginative and scarcely progresses throughout the book, and the quality of writing is too dull to compensate for this. The background, ie life above and below stairs, has been done many times before and much better. This book adds nothing to the genre, and I learnt nothing new about life in the social circles portrayed. The use of the time line in the chapter headings showed some promise, on the lines of the TV series "24" and hinted at time being critical to the plot, but it quickly became irrelevant and pointless.

The characterisations are one dimensional and somewhat cliche, severely hampered by the bizarre use of reported speech, which gives the book an utterly leaden feel. What little dialogue there is is totally wooden and unbelievable, sounding more like the characters are reading out in turn either a school essay or a cheesy amateur dramatics script. I found it impossible to angage with any of the characters, none of whom has any plausible, interesting or redeeming features.

I find it hard to believe that two more books are to follow on from this - this book was scarcely worth publishing in itself. I expected better from such a well-renowned author, and I certainly won't waste any more of my time in reading the sequels.