Profile for Hyacinth Bouquet > Reviews

Content by Hyacinth Bouquet

Hyacinth Bouquet (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Prtty Peaushun Skin Tight Body Lotion 236ml/8oz Plain
Prtty Peaushun Skin Tight Body Lotion 236ml/8oz Plain

2.0 out of 5 stars Over hyped!, 12 Aug. 2015
This is over hyped. Gwyneth Paltrow et al are supposed to love it, but after trying 3 tubes, I can honestly say it doesn't give you any more of a glow than many other products including normal body lotions. And less than 4 hours later, you wouldn't know you put it on. Don't waste your money.

Skinny Sprinkles® Appetite Control Weight Loss Drink with Glucomannan | Drink Before A Meal To Aid Weight Loss (21 Servings)
Offered by Get Gorgeous!

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, 12 Aug. 2015
Didn't have any effect. I can't say I felt fuller and I still felt hungry when it was meal times. So not sure what good this drink is supposed to do. Probably another dieting dud.

Bergasol SPF 20 Dry Oil Body 125ml
Bergasol SPF 20 Dry Oil Body 125ml
Offered by Cocooncenter France

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 12 Aug. 2015
I remembered the name from the 70s ads though I never used it then. I read the blurb and saw it had been reformulated with UVB and UVA protection, and the reviews were promising. It arrived very quickly from France. I liked the delicate smell and the way it disappeared quickly into the skin without leaving an oil slick. My skin didn't get dry and flaky as it normally does after a few days in the sun. I'm not sure my tan was any deeper, but it gave excellent protection and I would certainly buy it again.

The Accidental Husband
The Accidental Husband

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat ludicrous, 12 Aug. 2015
After enjoying a book by Green I started looking up her earlier novels and got stuck into this. I liked the premise, but by the end I felt I had nearly given up the will to live. To say it stretches the imagination, or the bounds of credibility, would be to put it mildly. I found it very hard to believe that the brittle, spoilt wife obsessed by controlling everyone and appearing perfect would morph virtually overnight into a kind individual leading a simple life with no make-up.

One central character seemed to be missing from the book, the husband. I found it hard to understand that this man who everyone seemed to love became a side note and nobody wanted to hear his point of view. It seemed all too easy to blame the brittle spoilt wife for what he did.

But the thing that really made me incredulous was the remote befriending of two girls who didn't know each other, in a country as vast as the US, which led to the whole unravelling of the husband.

I somehow got through it but it did strike me as somewhat ludicrous.

How I Lost You
How I Lost You

2.0 out of 5 stars I felt like screaming "what about your father, 12 Aug. 2015
This review is from: How I Lost You (Kindle Edition)
Very slow start. I felt like screaming "what about your father?" and I can't bear the device of befuddled heroine who can't remember anything. The plot started to unfold but by the last chapter there were SO many loose ends and explanations it all became very confusing.
Good attempt at trying to keep us guessing, but in the end none of it was remotely credible.

The Bees
The Bees

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly spell binding, 30 July 2015
This review is from: The Bees (Kindle Edition)
This is the book I look for every summer: the book that breaks the mould. Quirky, thought-provoking, poignant. I loved The Bees. Beautiful languid prose and a wonderfully involving story about a humble worker bee, Flora, who becomes one of the tiny number of worker bees in a hive able to produce an egg. I loved the ending and the way the book kept true to the life of a hive and the issues that modern life is creating for bees.

If You Go Away
If You Go Away

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 30 July 2015
This review is from: If You Go Away (Kindle Edition)
Took this on holiday, excited to have a new Adele Parks novel to savour. Read a few chapters but found myself diving into other books. Brought it home, tried again. I just couldn't get into it. I still haven't finished it but it seems pretty obvious that erstwhile spoilt debutante Vivian, now a hard working lady farmer up north, doing her bit for the war effort, will end up marrying the "conchie" she rescued from prison, with her uptight husband Aubrey dying / fleeing / committing bigamy, who knows?

I didn't like Adele's previous book much, and that was also set in earlier times. I feel her writing is a lot more vibrant and resonant when she's dealing with women's challenges in the present day.

Summer Secrets
Summer Secrets

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem beneath a naff title and cover, 30 July 2015
This review is from: Summer Secrets (Kindle Edition)
The book's title and cover belies the serious nature of the story - recovery from alcoholism - and quality of the writing. I was expecting the usual beach chick lit read, having never read Jane Green before, but was pleasantly surprised. Cat Coombs is a strong, realistic character and the descriptions of Nantucket makes me want to go there. My only complaint was it was finished all too soon!

Techbitch
Techbitch
by Lucy Sykes

4.0 out of 5 stars A delicious read, 13 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Techbitch (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this....a tale for modern times. Imnogen returns to her glossy magazine office to find her former assistant has usurped her position and turned the mag into an app. Somehow Eve sits it out and turns things round, and good triumphs over bad. I felt Imogen was a bit lame, certainly at the start. It's quite likely Anna Wintour is a "dinosaur" with tech but I actually doubt it. Imogen was only 42 so no excuses for being such a clueless idiot. And one thing that bugged me for the whole book: Rashid. At one point he was conspiring with Eve, but this wasn't built out or mentioned again. Careless.

Saving Grace
Saving Grace

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, 30 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Saving Grace (Kindle Edition)
The story is quite straightforward but I found some aspects of the plot and in particular the character development confusing. We started off thinking Ted was a terrible tyrant, always shouting and bawling, and that the poor beleaguered Grace, who spent all her time cooking and being amenable, would end up being a battered wife. Then the plot lurched into another direction. Grace was painted as a superwoman, an outstanding and respected career woman. So I found it hard to understand how she so quickly capitulated and watched passively as her life disintegrated. The fear of being bipolar like her mother was overplayed. I felt the ending was a let down: we could see what was coming the minute Grace landed in the UK. In the end it was an OK read, but it could have been a lot better.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5