Profile for Fiction_Fan > Reviews

Blackwall Compost Converter, Base Plate
Offered by evengreener
Price: 10.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fit well, 25 May 2014
I bought this base to go with the 330l composter as this was the base recommended. However, the composter had to be stretched to get it on the base in the first place. Not only that but it doesn't fit snuggly at all.Between the base and the composter is a gap about an inch thick so things seep out of the bottom. This was the only base available for the composter and I am not impressed with it at all.

Smart Weigh Digital Pro Pocket Scale with Back-lit LCD Display, Hold Feature and 2000 x 0.1g Capacity
Offered by Five Star
Price: 22.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Pocket scale, not pro power!, 31 Mar 2014
The Pro Pocket Scale comes in a box not much bigger than the actual scales. Inside the box comes the scales along with a plastic protection screen which fits around the scales. This means that you can safely keep the scales away in a kitchen drawer etc. without having to worry about them getting scratched or damaged.

The instructions and box state that the scales are easy to use. There are only four buttons which are on/off, mode, hold and tare. The functions allow you to freeze the scales at a particular weight as well as taking off the weight of boxes etc. before weighing an item inside.

However, using the scales are not as easy as they should be. When I turned on the scales, the numbers were going up and down all over the place even though the scales were on a flat surface like they should have been. I attempted to recalibrate the scales but this didn't go well. The scales ask you to put on a certain amount and even though I did, the numbers would not stop. When I did finally get the numbers to stop the weights were not right. The weight was between 5-20g out of what it should have been. The packaging claims that the scales weight within 0.1g of the actual weight of an item and this clearly does not happen.

While the scales are a good idea, they are not for me as they don't work as well as they claim to. The price tag certainly does not reflect the quality of the product.

If these scales were to work as they are advertised to, I think they would be a great and handy little product. It makes me wonder if my scales were faulty though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2014 8:51 PM BST

Faking It
Faking It
by Cora Carmack
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars No Faking It when I say I loved this book, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Faking It (Paperback)
When it comes to new adult books I am getting really sick of reading about weak and virginal girls who are a bit too plain and boring. I wanted a book that was the opposite of that and this was one that was recommended to me.

Max loves her life in Philadelphia. She dyed her hair, got tattoos and piercings and has the boyfriend her parents would never let her have. They expect certain things of her but now that she doesn't live with them, Max can do whatever she likes... until they turn up for a surprise visit. Her boyfriend isn't suitable according to her parents and she needs to find someone else and fast. She takes a chance on someone she meets in a coffee shop and asks him to pretend to be her boyfriend for a while, just for appearances sake.

I really enjoyed the plot throughout Faking It. The whole idea of having a pretend boyfriend just to please parents was great as I know my mum hasn't approved of many of my boyfriends over the years. She would always wish I was with some nice boy instead of the one I was with at the time. Luckily, I married a wonderful man and she's now happy finally. Anyway, I could totally relate to Max's situation but I would have never dared asked someone to do what she did.

Cade is that pretend boyfriend. The moment Max meets him, she knows her parents would like him because he is such a sweet guy. I have to admit that I loved Cade to bits. He willingly agreed to Max's proposition but told her that he really is the perfect boyfriend and that she would find that out soon enough. Although not exactly a charmer, Cade was sweet as anything and a joy to read about. At the time of making the agreement, Cade is still hung up on a girl called Bliss (from Losing It) and he didn't seem to be able to move on from that.

Although both Max and Cade have their problems, they get along so well together and their time as fake boyfriend and girlfriend is so fun. The chemistry between the two grew at a good pace and there was none of this love at first sight rubbish. The characters get to know each other slowly and gradually let each other in the more they do get to know about the other. This was one of the best, and funniest, relationships I have read about in a long time and it wasn't even a real one!

As you can probably tell, I really enjoyed Faking It and now have other books by Cora Carmack waiting to be read.

Hopeless For You
Hopeless For You
Price: 2.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Hopeless for you, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Hopeless For You (Kindle Edition)
I really liked the sound of Hopeless For You as soon as I read the synopsis. What makes this book so different from other New and Young Adult books is the setting, which was fantastic. Protagonist Ash and her best friend Gina head off to Vancouver, Canada to be interns at a conservation. The woodland setting was fantastic and certainly interesting. It also provided quite a few exciting but dangerous situations for the characters.

Hopeless For You is told in alternating chapters from both Ash and Kade's point of view. Ash suffered the loss of her fiancé only a year and a half ago and hasn't really been herself since. Kade has a past and is known for being a player and a bit of a bad boy back at home and he does not want a girlfriend at all. Both characters were great to get to know mainly because they had such complicated pasts. Neither character was exactly who I thought they'd be and I really enjoyed seeing more of their true personalities come out over the course of the book.

Although both have their secrets and feel as though they don't really fit anywhere, they manage to find that in common with one another and sparks fly. Also, neither wants a relationship of any kind so the attraction to each other is certainly unexpected. The actual romance of this book is pretty predictable, but then it wouldn't be a romance book otherwise really would it? The predictability with Ash and Kade didn't really bother me too much not only because I was expecting it but the plot had enough excitement going on at the same time.

As the book is set around a conservation setting, a lot of the plot takes place out in the woods where Ash and Kade, along with two others, are on the lookout for hawks there. But, some bad and unexpected things happen along the way and Ash and Kade find themselves cut off from their travel companions. This is where the plot really gets exciting. Ash and Kade are stranded in the middle of the woods with few ways to get back and food running out very quickly. I couldn't believe some of the things that happened in this book and I held my breath so many times.

While this book is predictable, it is also a really good read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Love Struck
Love Struck
by Amber Garza
Price: 6.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Struck, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: Love Struck (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading about the hot musician Beckett in the first book in this series but it was really another character who caught my eye. Love Struck tells the story of Ryker, a member of Beckett's band. The good thing about these books is that even though they're a series, they can easily be read as stand-alone books.

Ryker couldn't believe his luck when Lola showed up to one of his band's shows one night. He had never seen a more beautiful girl and couldn't take his eyes off of her. He knew she was way out of his league but he also knew that he had to take a chance on her. Ryker doesn't `do' love though and only his hidden secret can reveal why. Ryker was such a lovely character. Although he has a bad boy exterior, he cares so much for the people around him and works hard. He's a musician and also goes to school first class to study business. He wants to make something of his life but the only thing he thinks he can't have is love. Ryker melted my heart a little bit throughout this book but I'll get to why in a little bit.

Lola comes across as the spoiled rich girl with a bit of an attitude. However, it was clear that as she spent more time with Ryker, there was so much more to her than meets the eye. Just like Ryker, Lola feels instantly attracted to him but she knows she shouldn't let him in. Her mother certainly wouldn't approve. Lola has a bewitching effect on Ryker but their relationship is far from perfect. Both character have their own issues which obviously causes tension on them as a couple.

Love Struck has a more exciting plot than I was expecting. Although a lot of the book focuses on Ryker and Lola's relationship and the feelings between them, there is also so much more going on. Ryker has a secret that he never shares with anyone and Lola, well, she's a mess pretty much. Her family have an overwhelming control over Lola and how she lives her life and she feels as though she cannot be herself around them. This puts so much pressure on Lola and how she acts in life and the result is a certainly damaging lifestyle. Ryker begins to see glimpses of Lola's problems and although he tries to help her, she pushes him away.

When I started to read this book, I thought it would be extremely predictable and I thought I knew exactly how things would go. I was wrong. Amber Garza throws in so many surprises and shocks throughout the book and I never knew whether I was coming or going. Love Struck is so much better than the first in this series and I can't wait to read more from this author now.

Crash into You (A Pushing the Limits Novel)
Crash into You (A Pushing the Limits Novel)
by Katie McGarry
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Crash Into You, 16 Dec 2013
I have absolutely loved the books in the Pushing the Limits series so far and Isaiah has been a character who has made me curious in previous books. I was so happy to see him get his own book and I couldn't wait to see what he got up to.

The whole series follows a group of young people trying to survive the foster system and families with many problems. Isaiah is no exception. In this book, he isn't really sure about where he is living but he does know that he wants to be a mechanic. He's always had a massive love of cars and can't imagine anything better than working with what he loves. Although Isaiah has a tough exterior with his tattoos, he is such a sweetheart deep down. It is clear that he cares about his friends more than anything and will do anything for those he loves.

Rachel, even though she comes from a wealthy family, has a terrible home life. She's stuck living in the shadow of her dead sister and can't seem to escape that. Her mother wants her to be a certain type of person but Rachel actually loves cars and has to keep it a secret mostly. When she takes part in a drag race, she has no idea what she's getting herself into or who she is going to meet along the way.

Isaiah and Rachel were a fantastic couple. Although both characters come from different backgrounds, they have so much in common with their family problems. Isaiah and Rachel understand each other and they also have such a passion for cars. Isaiah can't believe his luck when he meets Rachel. However, he knows that she's way out of his league and should keep away... but he can't. I really enjoyed watching the chemistry grow between these two characters but also watching them get to know one another better. The romance in this third Pushing the Limits novel was amazing.

I also really loved the plot. You can't get much better than fast cars, racing and shady deals along the way. I found the plot to be extremely exciting throughout and there was a great mix between the street racing world and Rachel's rich family and friends. Stereotypes are broken down and the characters surprised me many times.

While Crash Into You is pretty predictable, I didn't mind one little bit. I quite liked knowing that the guy would get his girl but there is so much going on along the way to make the book more exciting.

Christmas at Carrington's (Carringtons Department Store 2)
Christmas at Carrington's (Carringtons Department Store 2)
by Alexandra Brown
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Discover Christmas at Carrington's, 9 Dec 2013
I have to start by saying that I haven't read the first book in this series but both can be read as stand-alone books.

Carrington's is a large department store in Mulberry-On-Sea and the series focuses on different people working in that store. The whole idea of Carrington's reminded me of a not so expensive Harrods but with the dreams to be as big as somewhere like that. This book focuses on Georgie Hart who works in women's accessories. I gather from some things that happen in this book that she was also in the first as well. The staff there seem to have a really nice family feeling going on and everyone gets along well... to begin with.

You see, big boss Mr Carrington secretly makes a deal to have Carrington's take part in a reality TV show where the store will get a massive make over by Kelly Cooper. Georgie doesn't know anything about it even though she's seeing Tom and is mortified when she sees herself on television for the first time. She wants nothing to do with the show until she's talked into it with the promise of extra money per show and the opportunity for a make-over and the chance to write in a magazine. As shallow as it sounds, Georgie figures she's going to be forced into it anyway so why not make something out of it.

I absolutely loved Georgie. Not only is she a real woman at size 14 but she's absolutely fine with who she is. It was so refreshing to read about someone who wasn't stick thin and who liked to eat. She's also such a lovely character and genuinely appeared to be a kind, friendly and caring woman. What I loved so much about Georgie is that she was someone I would have loved to have been friends with. She's put in some pretty awkward situations but she manages to bounce back every single time and she's also hilarious while she tries.

The whole television show aspect of Christmas at Carrington's was fantastic. The plot was something of a mix between The Hotel Inspector and that show where the woman helps out shops (cannot remember the name of it for the life of me)! It was fun to see what problems Kelly thought the store had and what she was doing to attempt to fix those things. The television show also put the characters in really funny situations such as trying to figure out who were real customers and who weren't.

The one thing that was lacking in this book for me was the romance. I didn't really feel the lust and attraction between Georgie and Tom. Maybe this was something I had missed out on by not reading the first book. I could see the attraction from her but he really didn't seem that bothered during any point in the book. If there isn't going to at least be some good chemistry, I don't see the point in having a relationship in a book such as this. If those missing elements had been there, this would have easily been a five star book for me.

Overall though, Christmas at Carrington's is a really good and enjoyable read.

Runner, Runner [DVD]
Runner, Runner [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Affleck
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Average film, 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: Runner, Runner [DVD] (DVD)
The plot surrounds Richie Furst who used to have a great job on Wall Street. Unfortunately, that ended and Richie goes back to college to complete his post grad. However, due to his past employment, he cannot get any help with tuition so he has to pay it all himself. Richie's character is extremely intelligent and figures that he can get sign ups to an online gambling website and receive a cut of everyone who signs up. But, the dean of Princeton threatens to expel him if he keeps it up. I liked how the beginning of the film set up the explanations of online gambling and the way that people chase money on there. But, after that, it all got a bit too crazy and unrealistic.

You see, Furst runs off to Costa Rica to confront the owner of the website face to face. He knows Ivan Block in incredibly hard to get to but figures it's worth a try anyway because he's desperate. Even though it's stated that Ivan Block is hard to get to, Richie seems to manage it with very little trouble at all. Playing Ivan Block is Ben Affleck who has had a bit of a bad run of acting jobs in the past few years. However, I quite liked him in this role for the most part. He plays a character that is quite smarmy and slick, who knows that he can do pretty much whatever he wants. Affleck acts cool, calm and collected for the most part but is also able to lose his temper and show the meaner, more devious side to him when he needs to. Even though he did a good job, there are loads of actors who could probably have done better.

Justin Timberlake hasn't had that many roles since hitting the film business but he does always manage to switch it up a little bit. In Runner, Runner Timberlake plays main character Richie Furst. I found Timberlake to be absolutely fantastic in this film. At the beginning he is confident, clever and doesn't see that he's doing anything wrong. It's only when he loses all of his money gambling online that he begins to change. He makes the change from Princeton student to wealthy and stylish very quickly which goes to show what money can buy you... a nice suit! Anyhow, Timberlake manages the transition pretty damn well and became more likeable as the film went on due to what was happening to him. However, I would have liked to have seen Timberlake lose it a little more towards the end of the film as he was too calm for what was happening around him.

Runner, Runner doesn't have the most complicated or exciting plot because basically, it's been done before. This is a film that doesn't really offer anything new which was quite disappointing. While this may not be an original film, it is still very entertaining. There is plenty going on throughout, even with a slow start, and there are little clues being dropped everywhere. I enjoyed watching Richie get to grips with his new life and to figure out exactly who he could trust around him.

There are also a few things that didn't make a whole lot of sense. Richie is supposed to be incredibly intelligent but he doesn't see what's going on around him until quite near the end of the film. He also should have been able to outsmart Ivan with ease or at least do more about what was happening. Not only that, but if he was so clever, he should have probably known that Ivan's offer was far too good to be true. Things like that just don't happen. It's a shame that such little issues let this film down.

While I did enjoy Runner, Runner, it could have been such a better film. The plot was quite standard and there were problems throughout. One to buy on DVD when it's cheap though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2014 8:20 PM GMT

The Bookstore
The Bookstore
by Deborah Meyler
Price: 9.09

1.0 out of 5 stars Weird but not wonderful, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Bookstore (Paperback)
When I saw this one on NetGalley I thought it would be the perfect book for me. As a lover of books and quirky old book shops, I was instantly interested in finding out more about one set in New York. This was a really strange book from beginning to end. At points, I really struggled to keep going and was tempted to put it down but the strangeness is what kept me going. I wanted to find out how much more ridiculous it could get.

I just could not get my head around how stupid protagonist Esme was. Somehow she's supporting herself through studying in New York. She has a super-rich boyfriend who is an absolute arse to her but she's determined to stay with him because she just can't see what an idiot he is. When he does find out about the baby, he tries to get her to have an abortion, acts like an arse once again and then at some point, proposes in the middle of a crowded restaurant. Honestly, who would have stayed with a man like that. Esme, that's who.

So, after Esme finds out that she's pregnant, she talks her way into having a part time job at The Owl, a pretty run down second-hand book shop which is pretty much filled with crazy people. I have no idea why anyone would have taken Esme on considering she only has a student visa and she's pregnant. Surely that would never happen. Not only that, but the book shop has nice enough staff but seems to become a second home to homeless guys and drunks. Not the safest place for a pregnant lady to be hanging out now is it? There are plenty of situations and events that happen while Esme is at work and I just didn't understand what was going on. She's often alone with one of the homeless guys who then tells her to go get something to eat five blocks away and to leave the shop with him. Who would do that?!

So, with a mix of insane characters you would think that this book would have an amazing plot to make up for that... but it doesn't. The plot pretty much is just about Esme making bad decisions in regards to her pregnancy and her future with Mitchell. There is nothing funny or even remotely exciting about The Bookstore and instead, it was just weird. I can't really recommend this one because even though I finished it, I didn't really enjoy it.

Headfirst Falling
Headfirst Falling
Price: 1.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Headfirst Falling, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Headfirst Falling (Kindle Edition)
While I like new adult novels, the same romances over and over again get boring and repetitive. I couldn't wait to read this one as it seemed as though it would tackle some really important and current issues.

The book begins with Jackson's point of view, with him and Adam (Charlie's brother) being away in Iraq and making promised to each other in case anything ever happens. Jackson constantly carries around a picture of Charlie and is the one thing he can't stop thinking about. Jackson and Adam are best friends so when Adam makes Jackson promise to look after Charlie, he can't refuse. Jackson instantly comes across as such a sweet guy, confession that he didn't know what he had when he was at home and going across the world to fight a war made him realise his mistakes.

When Jackson arrives back home without Adam, he has no idea what to do with himself. He knows he's going to have to speak to and see Charlie but he just isn't ready to deal with that. He can't forgive himself for not being able to save Adam and feels as though Charlie won't be able to see past that either. Charlie doesn't want to have to deal with Jackson. She imagines hating him on first sight and resenting him but she's surprised when all she wants to do is run into his arms.

While Jackson was a likeable character, Charlie drove me insane. She did not deal with any of her problems well at all and tended to drown her problems with alcohol. She also completely ignored problems with family members because she was so self-obsessed. Charlie acted extremely childish at times and while I understood she was struggling with the loss of her brother, I just wanted to slap some sense into her at times. Due to all of this, I found it really hard to like Charlie for the most part of the book.

Even though I disliked Charlie somewhat, I did really enjoy reading this book. Jackson's story and watching him come out of Iraq was extremely interesting to read about. I have friends in the forces and can only imagine how they must feel after tours of Iraq or Afghanistan. However, I would have liked to have seen more about PTSD. It is clear that Jackson has problems being back in society but I wanted more about his struggles deep down and the horrors he would have been thinking about. While the initial idea of the book was good, it could have been made to be fantastic.

Even with its problems, Headfirst Falling is a good new adult novel that is different from everything else I've read so far.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20