Profile for Cooking Up A > Reviews

Content by Cooking Up A

Cooking Up A "Storm" (Luton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Memorial
Memorial
by Gary Crew

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is beautiful and just what you'd expect from Shaun Tan, 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Memorial (Paperback)
This book is beautiful and just what you'd expect from Shaun Tan. Very poignant and accessible on many levels

EarPeace HD High Fidelity Hearing Protection (White Earplugs/ Silver Case)- For Musicians, DJs, Concerts, Tinnitus, Motorcyclists etc
Offered by EarPeace Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars I was recommended to try the EarPeace ear plugs as a way ..., 9 Feb. 2015
After suffering Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss (SSHL) I was left not only with deafness in one ear but also very loud tinnitus and hyperacusis (where noises aggravate the tinnitus despite the loss of hearing). As I do a lot of choral singing I was very concerned that the noises of the other singers and instruments was causing me a lot of discomfort, and I didn't want to give up singing. I was recommended to try the EarPeace ear plugs as a way of baffling the noises coming into my deaf ear by someone at AOHL (Action on Hearing Loss).
The ear plugs are invaluable at just dampening down the harsh sound sin the environment. I wear it at work, as I work in a school where at lunch times etc there is a lot of noise to contend with. And I find it really useful if going to a noisy restaurant or cafe.

XDU Flexible Earhook Stereo-to-mono Single Headphone for the Left Ear - Fabric-wrapped Cord
Offered by Sport Explorer UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Although this does what it should I find the earpiece ..., 8 Feb. 2015
Although this does what it should I find the earpiece doesn't fit well into the ear and as a result if I want to hear anything when there is any noise around I have to hold the earpiece in with my hand. As I have recently suffered profound hearing loss in one ear, I was hoping that this would enable me to listen to music in my hearing ear without loosing out due to stereo, but find I'm then struggling to hear through it at all if my hands are occupied.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2015 6:18 PM GMT

Perfect
Perfect
by Rachel Joyce

5.0 out of 5 stars I had read her previous book and thoroughly enjoyed it, and was not let down by this ..., 8 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Perfect (Paperback)
I had read her previous book and thoroughly enjoyed it, and was not let down by this one either. The characters are well presented and as the situation developed I was positively frustrated with their reactions, but in a way that spurred me on to find out more. The tragedy towards the end bought me to tears, and the final twist was unexpected, but made a lot of sense in hindsight. Very well written and good to read.

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
by Karen Joy Fowler

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't begin to say how much I enjoyed this book and especially the twist, 8 Feb. 2015
I can't begin to say how much I enjoyed this book and especially the twist. It started slowly, and I was a little uncertain about where the story was going, but once you realise what has happened (I'm not going to give the game away) then it really gets going. I had to look back at all I'd read and make a new sense out of it when I'd got a grasp of what had happened. Excellent!

Outstanding Formative Assessment: Culture and Practice
Outstanding Formative Assessment: Culture and Practice
by Shirley Clarke

4.0 out of 5 stars I particularly liked the links to the bite sized video clips which ..., 8 Feb. 2015
Although this repeats some of the ideas in Shirley Clarke's earlier books I found this to be a real refresher. I particularly liked the links to the bite sized video clips which I will be using in staff INSET sessions.

When Mr Dog Bites
When Mr Dog Bites
by Brian Conaghan

5.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night ..., 8 Feb. 2015
This review is from: When Mr Dog Bites (Paperback)
If you enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night Time then you will love this book. I had moments where I shared the character's frustrations and lots of times when I laughed out loud.

The Seven T's of Practical Differentiation (Alphabet Sevens)
The Seven T's of Practical Differentiation (Alphabet Sevens)
by Sue Cowley

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and of limited use., 20 Jan. 2015
Having been teaching for over 27 years, and a successful deputy head teacher, I bought this book as a resource to share with the NQTs that I am currently mentoring. I was most disappointed with the content of several of the chapters. E.g. much of the research from the Assessment Reform Group and others shows that learning objectives should be common to all students, and that having too many objectives becomes unmanageable, but the chapter on targets suggests several learning objectives. I was also surprised to see an example of a learning objective given that was more about completion of the task rather than transferrable learning. There was also some muddling up about the function of success criteria in this chapter which is also at odds with current research.
The sections on time and on thinking skills didn't really address differentiation, but just how teachers should plan these aspects with all students in mind.
The section on thinking skills was quite weak, with no reference to the use of specific thinking skills tools. I got excited at the end of the last chapter when I saw graphics" as a subheading, but again was disappointed to find that it wasn't actually talking about the use of graphic organisers to support differentiation, but merely about the use of photos.
Unfortunately I will not be sharing this book with my NQTs.

Keep Calm and Pretend Its On The Lesson Plan PURPLE Mug Cup Gift Retro
Keep Calm and Pretend Its On The Lesson Plan PURPLE Mug Cup Gift Retro
Offered by Top Banana Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for a Teacher Trainee, 21 Dec. 2013
This mug is fine and caused a laugh with my teacher trainee friend. I may need to buy another one for myself.

Tinxs 3X Waterproof Camera Mobile Phone Ipad Pouch Dry Bags For Backpack Kayak Military-Pack of 3
Offered by tinxs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 23 Nov. 2013
these little pouches were excellent value and will be so useful for keeping all sorts of items dry when kayaking.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9