Profile for P. Grass > Reviews

Content by P. Grass

P. Grass "hungrybuffalo" (Near Frankfurt, Portland and Middlesbrough)

Lian Li PC-Q09FNA - PC-Q09FNA Mini-ITX HTPC Case with 300W SFX Power Supply - Silver
Offered by procooling

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets for it's Size, 7 Nov. 2014
With computer components it's normally a matter of "Form following Function". With a computer case you have a choice. In this case I was wanting to build a new "family" computer that was both quiet and small.

Just for info, here's the rest of my build:

MSI B85I Mainboard (MINI ITX, DDR3 Speicher, VGA, DVI, HDMI)
Kingston HyperX PC3-12800 Arbeitsspeicher 8GB (1600 MHz, 240-polig) DDR3-RAM Kit
Samsung MZ-7TE250KW Serie 840 EVO Desktop interne SSD-Festplatte (2,5 Zoll) (250GB, 512MB Cache, SATA III
Noctua NH-L9i CPU-Kühler für Sockel 1155/1156
SAMSUNG SN-208BB sATA SlimLine schwarz ohne SW
Wentronic HDD S-ATA Kabel 1,5GBs/3GBs/6GBs (S-ATA L-Type auf L-Type) 0,3m
DELOCK Adapter SATA 22pin St > Slim SATA Bu 5V
in addition I added an old 3Tb 3.5 inch HDD, plus Windows 7.

Build Issues
==========
The 3.5 inch HDD needs to be installed in a drive bay under the DVD slot, with it in place there is very little room for the CPU Cooler. I used a very satisfactory Noctua CPU to get around this. However, if I were to build again, I'd swap the 3.5 inch HDD for a smaller 2.5 inch one that can be mounted away from the main motherboard.
There is no cover-plate for a slimline DVD drive, so you end up with a lump of black plastic spoiling the elegant front of the case.
As this was the first time I'd used a slimline DVD drive in a build I didn't realise that it uses the smaller 13-pin Slim (or Slimline) SATA connector, hence the need for DELOCK Adaptor.
The USB cables coming from the front of the case are rather hard to fit in once the DVD is installed. Careful bending of the cables is required. It would have been better to have a shorter cable. My cable came out a couple of times after I'd put the lid back on the case.

Thoughts
========
Overall the box works, it's small. It's not as quiet as I would like. In part this is because of the relative open construction and the fan pulling air over the motherboard and out of the side of the PC. If either the noise or the draft concern you, then look for an alternative. Other than that the case works as well as could be expected given it's size.

A di Alessi La Cupola Espresso Coffee Maker, 3 Cups, Black, (A9095/3 B)
A di Alessi La Cupola Espresso Coffee Maker, 3 Cups, Black, (A9095/3 B)

5.0 out of 5 stars A design classic and a nice cup of coffee, 27 May 2010
We bought this coffee pot (correctly called a Moka) in Sicily 9 years ago. Since then we have used it regularly to make what we think is great coffee (I'm no expert). The 3 cup size is perfect for a large cappuccino or for 2 "British Coffee Cup" sized cappuccinos. Once made the mistake of putting part of the pot in the dishwasher which dulled the aluminium. Since then we've followed the instructions and only rinsed the pot in warm water, leaving the coffee residue to coat the insides of the pot.

[Update Sept 2011]
I can recommend the following replacement filter set: La Cafetiere Bialetti Washer and Filter Set To Suit - Moka Dama 3 Cup, Replacement Part
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2015 3:19 PM GMT