Profile for Emma > Reviews

Finding Audrey
Finding Audrey
by Sophie Kinsella

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, funny, and still completely Kinsella!, 8 July 2015
This review is from: Finding Audrey (Hardcover)
4.5 stars!

"Life is all about climbing up, slipping down, and picking yourself up again. And it doesn't matter if you slip down. As long as you're kind of heading more or less upwards. That's all you can hope for."

I loved this book! And I was so happy to get back into the world of Sophie Kinsella. When I first began this, I was wary that her sense of humour wouldn't be able to translate into a YA novel with a teenage character, but I was wrong. This was just as funny as some of her adult novels, and for that I am really pleased.

Audrey was a great character, and I found her struggles with anxiety believable and real. I don't personally think her symptoms would class as severe, but at the same time, everybody can feel and experience differently.

I loved how this novel was also centred around family; parents and siblings and the bonds and fights they all share. Her parents were hilarious, and the relationship she shared with her brother Frank reminded me a lot of myself and my brother. And Felix was too cute!

I found the romance between Audrey and Linus cute and sweet, and exactly as a teenage romance should be. However I did see it as a tad insta-lovey, but it was still very cute. I think is a theme with YA novels - especially when the characters are younger. I don't think a 14 year old really knows what it is to be in love, truly and wholly, and a few years later will experience something even better. But it was still cute, and that's a minor personal issue.

A few reviews have stated that her anxiety was "cured" too quickly, and whilst I agree she made a large amount of progress in a short period of time, she also then relapsed again. Like a jagged graph, which I feel is much more realistic.

I wish we had found out what really happened at school to cause her to spiral into her current mental state, however I guess the author didn't feel it was entirely necessary to the story.

Overall I really enjoyed this book, and I would rate it about a 4.5 stars!

(Review originally posted on Goodreads)

ODY-C Volume 1
ODY-C Volume 1
by Matt Fraction

2.0 out of 5 stars A confusing and bizarre creation, 7 July 2015
This review is from: ODY-C Volume 1 (Paperback)
(Received free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review)

I'll be truthful: I had no idea what the hell was going on for 90% of this graphic novel.

Yes, I know it is a space-themed, futuristic, gender role-reversed retelling of The Odyssey, but I still could not say what happened.

It felt unstructured and messy, jumping from scene to scene, planet to planet, with little or no explanation at all. Characters were unclear, and I felt no attachment to any of them.

If somebody asked me what I've just read, I'm not sure I could say. It involved space, and warriors, and a cyclops of some kind... and goo.

I'm saddened not to have enjoyed this, because I was honestly really looking forward to it, but the lack of clear explanation, and the complex language that could well have been taken straight from The Odyssey itself (I have never read it, so do not know), meant I was waiting for it to end, just so I could move on to something else.

It would be a one-star rating from me, however the artwork is so amazing, that the rating has been bumped up to two-stars - it is a confusing, but visually stunning creation.

Fire Colour One
Fire Colour One
by Jenny Valentine

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprising read!, 2 July 2015
This review is from: Fire Colour One (Paperback)
“What if death is the one and only way that you do get to live forever? If the weight of the universe never changes, regardless of who’s living and who’s dying, that must mean we never leave it, not entirely.”

I am honestly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.

It follows teenager Iris, as she is taken back to England by her mother Hannah, and stepfather, to her dying father, Ernest, in her mother's twisted hope that he will leave them a fortune when he dies.

It's very simple, told in a past-and-present kind of way, with scenes of Iris and her father - Ernest - in the present, Iris at home with Hannah in the past, Iris with best friend Thurston in the past, and then Ernest and his sister Margo as children in the distant past.

I liked Iris a lot, and found her pyromania fascinating to read about. Thurston too intruiged me, and I wish we had seen a lot more of him throughout the novel.

Hannah on the other hand is a piece of work. I hate parents who don't care about their children.

Ernest was sweet, and kind, however I kept having to remind myself he was not an old man. For some reason he read like one, and I'm not sure if that was the sickness or his wisdom, but I found it a little distracting.

The language is lovely, and the descriptions throughout are excellent; I have multiple sentences and paragraphs highlighted in my kindle.

Despite the lack of any real action-packed plot, which I usually crave, I really enjoyed this book, and would definitely consider checking out more of the author's work in the future! I also might buy myself a physical copy at some point.

The Night Circus
The Night Circus
by Erin Morgenstern

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmorising, 16 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
Beautiful, magical, mesmorising. Quickly became my favourite book of all time. It isn't action packed; the story is set over several years, and it jumps to various points in the timeline for each new chapter. It's slow, but it is more about the world building and character development than an action-packed plot. Would recommend to everybody. I fell in love.

Throne of Glass: 1
Throne of Glass: 1
by Sarah J. Maas

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a new fantasy series, 16 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Throne of Glass: 1 (Paperback)
Great start to a new fantasy series; lots of action, magic, a kickass heroine, a touch of romance, and a great new world to explore. I'd recommend people read the novellas in "The Assassin's Blade" first though!

If I Stay (Definitions)
If I Stay (Definitions)
by Gayle Forman

2.0 out of 5 stars that by the time I read it I was just disappointed. It could have been heartbreaking and filled with ..., 16 Sept. 2014
This book was so hyped up, that by the time I read it I was just disappointed. It could have been heartbreaking and filled with emotion, but all I took away from it was a teenage girl who seemed to care more about her boyfriend than the death of her family.

Fangirl
Fangirl
by Rainbow Rowell

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a fan!, 16 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Fangirl (Paperback)
Amazing beautiful book. Perfect for anybody who gets a little too obsessed with fictional characters, spend hours online blogging about said characters and shows, and people who can quite happily sit down and read/write fanfiction on those same characters. It's really good, really sweet, and gives a realistic portrayal of social anxiety and starting a new college with new people. This quickly became one of my favourite books of all time, although I can relate to the main character Cath entirely. Would recommend for people aged around 13+.

The Assassin's Blade: The Throne of Glass Novellas (Throne of Glass Omnibus)
The Assassin's Blade: The Throne of Glass Novellas (Throne of Glass Omnibus)
by Sarah J. Maas

4.0 out of 5 stars READ THESE NOVELLAS BEFORE YOU READ THRONE OF GLASS! ..., 16 Sept. 2014
READ THESE NOVELLAS BEFORE YOU READ THRONE OF GLASS! These give you so much backstory to Celena and her life prior to the events of Throne of Glass, you should really read them first. I'm reading them afterwards but I wish I'd done them beforehand.

Red at Night
Red at Night

3.0 out of 5 stars Very sweet but also sad, 16 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Red at Night (Kindle Edition)
Considering how short it is, I was surprised how attatched I got to the characters! Very sweet but also sad.

Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian
Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian
by Rick Riordan

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing conclusion to my favourite series of all time, 16 Sept. 2014
Amazing conclusion to my favourite series of all time! I read a lot of kids/young adult books, but this series is by far the best I've found.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3