Profile for C. Welford > Reviews

Content by C. Welford

C. Welford (East Sussex, UK)

Bad Blood
Bad Blood

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, 10 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (MP3 Download)
Bastille are amazing. This album is a great first offering and I must admit, after seeing them live supporting Muse they sound just as good, if not better, live than they do on this cd which is so rare in artists these days. Thoroughly recommend!

Dracula (Norton Critical Editions)
Dracula (Norton Critical Editions)
by Bram Stoker

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, bad bad writing., 13 Dec. 2012
Let's not beat around the bush here. There's no denying that Stoker was written a great story, but his writing is terrible. The awkwardness of the characters and the lack of continuity in places can make it a frustrating read. Stoker is limited by the medium in which he chose to write. He could have written this novel as either a first person narrative or a third person narrative and it would have been better; instead he includes many perspectives on the events which I think he gets confused with himself as the character's voices appear to blend into one, and it becomes difficult to discern who is narrating without looking back at the chapter title. However, the story itself is good and there's no denying that this book has had a massive impact on popular culture.
The notes included in this critical edition make understanding the novel that much easier and are a valuable resource for anyone studying this text.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Deluxe Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece, 13 Dec. 2012
Howard Shore has again composed a piece of epic music fitting for an epic film. It's still deeply rooted in Middle Earth and contains many of the much loved themes from Lord of the Rings but with a uniqueness needed for this film. The new Hobbit theme is much like the Lord of the Rings main theme and crops up in suitable moments which tie in really well with the film. My personal favourites include the deep, mellow tones of Richard Armitage in Misty Mountains; The White Council which evokes the mysterious land of Rivendell and Lorien that we loved in Lord of the Rings, and interestingly includes passages from Gandalf's Lament, and an almost Gondorian theme; An Ancient Enemy manages to introduce the choirs and high strings associated with Mordor; Riddles in the Dark again introduces familiar themes from Lord of the Rings, most memorably those from Shelob The Great and some more familiar LOTR themes.

Overall, a very good effort which suits this film perfectly. Yes, it has been heavily influenced by LOTR but it's good that there's the sense of continuity in the music that lacks from so many blockbuster series (Harry Potter's move away from the iconic music of John Williams is a prime example). It's sure to please hardcore fans of Tolkien and of Peter Jackson's masterpieces, and let's hope that this standard of music is continued through the next two films, but I would like to see Shore develop further the new Hobbit themes, rather than rely heavily on LOTR music that doesn't always fit the situation in the film (Thorin's apology to Bilbo anyone? It's taken directly from The Fellowship Reunited from ROTK).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2013 6:18 PM GMT

Labyrinth
Labyrinth
by Kate Mosse

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book but it took a while to read, 15 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Labyrinth (Paperback)
I read this book after I read Sepulchre, and I must admit, Sepulchre is better. Labyrinth has one too many characters to keep up with and although I persevered with it and I liked the story itself but it was just a little hard to read. It was however very well researched and I enjoyed the historical aspects of it. It's just if you don't like a hard read, maybe this book isn't for you. I liked the link between the books with the character Audric Baillard/Sajhe and you learn a lot about his life during this book, which may have helped me with reading Sepulchre. I thought though that the caption on the front cover 'Three Secrets. Two Women. One Grail' was left a little unexplained at the end of the book, as I still don't know what the three secrets are :S Otherwise, a good book that takes a while to digest.

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls

5.0 out of 5 stars One Day? A guarantee, 15 Aug. 2009
This review is from: One Day (Hardcover)
I ordered this book on the reviews I saw on here, and picked it up this morning as I had nothing to do all day (I've recently had an operation) and I was so captivated by it that come 5pm I'd finished it. It was an amazing read, very relatable in places and I must admit I cried a little at the end. For me, I like a book that I can finish in a day, because it tells me that it was a very well written, flowing book with a good storyline. The only other books I have read in a day were 'Secrets' by Freya North, 'Angels and Demons' by Dan Brown, 'Pillow Talk' by Freya North, and 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova. 'One Day' is a brilliant book and will definitely be something that I recommend to others.