ARRAY(0xb443a0a8)

Profile for Four Winds > Reviews

Content by Four Winds

Four Winds (England)

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black (will only fit Kindle Paperwhite)
Price: 30.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Scratchy Catch, 17 Oct 2013
I don't like it, and I think it's way over-priced. There's only one way to mess up a product like this, and Amazon picked that way: it's uncomfortable in the hand. The little metal thing is perfectly placed to hurt your hand just enough to annoy you. It's the only way you could balls up this kind of product. Waste of money, avoid.

The Emperor Series Books 1-4
The Emperor Series Books 1-4
Price: 14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware the bundle price!, 6 April 2013
So, if you take a look - and things are priced the same as they are today - you will see that this bundle costs 19.99, but if you buy the four books separately they will cost you 11.29.

This bundle seems to be a waste of money, but the books are great.

Later Edit (5th May): On the 6th April I paid 11.29 for these. Now Harper has put the price of the individual books UP so this bundle does not appear a complete rip off. I will be watching them from now on.

Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time)
Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time)
Price: 6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars ebook version has chunks of text missing, and errors all over!, 22 Jan 2013
I give 4 stars for the book, but kindle users beware! I have sent so many content error reports about all the books in this series that now I just can't be bothered to send in any more. At the start of the ebook it says that it was 'produced by JOUVE FRANCE.' It is clear to me that the people making the e-version have not even bothered to read it (or the rest of the series) when complete: it is clear that there are chunks of text missing from the start of at least two chapters, and errors throughout the rest of the book.

This French company are going to ruin the authors' and original publishers' reputation with their illiterate incompetence.

Most errors in an ebook I have seen up to now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2013 11:12 PM GMT

Nicorette QuickMist Mouthspray 1 x 150ml Freshmint
Nicorette QuickMist Mouthspray 1 x 150ml Freshmint
Offered by Mk_Online304
Price: 9.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but at an extreme price, 5 Jan 2012
So this thingy will give you an instant (pretty much) nicotine hit.

The price charged is ridiculous however and the Nicorette people should be ashamed. To me this price is proof absolute that the cold-turkey advocates are correct when they say that companies involved in NRT manufacture are in fact just pushers like the cigarette manufacturers.

Shame on Nicolette for milking you when you are desparate to save yourself from a painful death.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2012 11:08 AM GMT

High Speed USB 2.0 to Micro B Data Cable - 3 Metres
High Speed USB 2.0 to Micro B Data Cable - 3 Metres
Offered by Solent Cables Limited
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for tethering a phone to the PC, 19 Oct 2011
I had a need to tether my 3G phone (galaxy S2) to the PC. By using this long (3m) cable my signal and data speeds shot right up. The length of this cable makes it ideal for moving the phone about to get the best data rate. Note that by hanging the phone on the curtain rail gives me 6Mb rather than about 1Mb I get leaving the phone next to the PC on the short cable that came with the phone (that's only a few feet away and up to get an extra 5Mb).

It's a shame there's not a 5m cable. I called Solent Cables to let them know I'd love one, but they don't sell one at the time of writing.

Pets in a Pickle (Prospect House 1)
Pets in a Pickle (Prospect House 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Preserve me from more pickle, 12 Sep 2011
I thought I could do with a laugh and the reviews I read seemed to promise just that; I smiled once, and didn't laugh at all.

I thought the characters wooden, the misogyny seemed fake, and I didn't even get the feeling that the vet cared about the animals! After reading the book I had to look on the internet to convince myself that the author was indeed a male vet: I thought I had detected a female layperson 'trying it on'.

If you're impressed with endless banal puns, or think them 'hilarious,' it's a book for you. Note the hilarity of my review title to get the idea.

I gave the book two stars as I finished it, I didn't like this book at all however.

Master and Commander
Master and Commander
by Patrick O'Brian
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Take my word for it, 25 April 2011
This review is from: Master and Commander (Paperback)
I read all of these books (there are 20 of them) before the movie came along. So, 20 large novels are a lot...it's worth it though. I'm going to keep this short; it's more of a recomendation than a review. This first novel is great, but I have to say you need to read them all.

I have a bad feeling that some of the later editions were sensored for language. I may be wrong but I recall having to switch to editions with different front artwork; I recall that all the sailors in these later editions seem to have lost the habit of swearing.

Anyway, I'd love to read all 20 again. I shall one day...perhaps when they're all out for the kindle...as long as the sensors have not got at them.

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

3.0 out of 5 stars Isn't it all about content? (no Epub is shocking), 21 Jan 2011
Some (most) books are not available as ebooks. Some (lots of) ebooks are not available in a format Amazon like.

This means there are lots and lots of books you can't even read on it.

I don't own one, but I have used one now for some time.

My summary:

Great device, but as you can't read the books you want to (search these forums and the web for examples...or keep head in the sand) I'll have to skip until you can.

Later Edit:

After consideration I think I've been too hard on the Kindle. My feelings are 5 stars for the divice itself, but 1 star to Amazon for trying to be Itunes by not using epub. Why should I not be able to look at what could be described as an industry standard format for ebooks on my ebook reader?... Answer... Amazon are playing silly buggers, and I guess hope that all the fan-boys (and girls) will still buy kindles. This is great for Amazon but not great at all for their customers.

Device=5 stars. Content=1 star. Therefore 3 star result.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2011 10:04 PM GMT

Free books for Kindle
Free books for Kindle
Price: 0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Con, 21 Jan 2011
Simple con as the free books are US. At least it does highlight that Amazon are charging us for books that the US get for free. I'd think hard about buying a kindle if you have not yet. Make sure you research the fact that the US has more books available and more for free. Note that the hype you read comes from the US mostly and they get a much much better deal.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2013 11:14 AM BST

Heavy Rain (PS3)
Heavy Rain (PS3)
Offered by Gameseek
Price: 16.48

2.0 out of 5 stars Twister?, 5 Mar 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Heavy Rain (PS3) (Video Game)
This game has a great story. All the hoops you have to jump through to 'watch' the story however are a pain. It takes 4 or 5 button presses to walk past a dumster!

It seems that the whole 'game' side of this is just an addition and who whole thing would be better if released as a stand alone cartoon.

This is not the future; this is a story with an annoying interface added on the front end.

Save your money.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2010 4:28 PM GMT