Profile for Kitten > Reviews

The Princess' Blankets
The Princess' Blankets
by Carol Ann Duffy

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for small children, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Princess' Blankets (Hardcover)
My little girl's friend bought this book to share with us. They are both 4. I read to them but found myself skipping passages about dead animals and skulls and people being buried alive. I found it dark and a bit creepy myself and can imagine it's very unsettling for small children. The illustrations are quite dark also. It is a beautifully written and the author is obviously talented but I would think this only suitable for much older children.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful moving story, 27 Feb 2013
I picked this book on a whim and couldn't put it down. It starts out gently and continues that way right to the end, i felt compelled me to read on and I could not put it down. The portrayal of Harold and Maureen and those people who come and go from their lives is simply and beautifully done. you come to know them without having to try! the storytelling is understated and yet powerful. This is a story of normal people at whom life throws it's usual curve balls, about how people deal, or don't deal with what happens to them and about how they loose their way and, if they are lucky, find it again. I laughed, I definitely sobbed and I loved it.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
by Jonas Jonasson
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit bonkers but a great great read, 27 Feb 2013
I had been considering reading this book for a while and I am so glad I did. The plot is not deep and meaningful, bears absolutely no relation to the real world (although real world events are a big part of the tale) and is so far removed from reality that it is, quite frankly, a bit ridiculous and yet is it still one of the best books I have read in a long long time. I couldn't put it down, it made me smile I thoroughly enjoyed it, i might have to read it again (something i very rarely do). I recommend it to everyone I speak to.

My Dear, I Wanted to Tell You
My Dear, I Wanted to Tell You
by Louisa Young
Price: 3.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not brilliant, 8 July 2012
I picked up this book and expected another birdsong and in that respect I was disappointed, I do not think it is in the same league but, having said that, it is still a good book. The book covers many issues of the time, women's roles in society, the class system and of course the war and all that that brings about. However I felt it tried to do too much and so didn't do as well as it could have. Whilst I presume the premise of Julia's character was to show how woman left behind, not trained or prepared for anything other than a good marriage struggled, in their own way, as much as the men I felt the character was one dimensional - I struggled to find any empathy or much sympathy for her character and ended the book knowing that her absence from the story would not have detracted from it, for me. Her husband, though less one dimensional, also I feel, needed to be better drawn and explained. The characters of Riley, Rose, Nadine and in many ways Ainsworth, Couch and Ferdnand etc etc carried the story for me. So all in all I enjoyed the book but can't help feeling slightly disappointed in it.

The Last Letter from Your Lover
The Last Letter from Your Lover
by Jojo Moyes
Price: 7.11

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 26 May 2012
It took me a fair number of chapters to get engrossed in this book. I am not sure I wouldn't have preferred it if we had seen a bit more of Ellie in the early stages as I felt that, whilst Jennifer and Boot's story was great it was not where we were going to end up... Having said all of that once I got to the final chapters I couldn't put it down - I was desperate to know what happened to all of them in the end.

RoomMates Repositionable Childrens Wall Stickers Jelly Butterfly Bugs
RoomMates Repositionable Childrens Wall Stickers Jelly Butterfly Bugs
Price: 13.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pretty room decoration for little girls, 15 Feb 2012
We bought these last year to decorate our little girls room. She loves them and we often say goodnight to the ladybirds, the buzzy bee and the butterfly etc. They are well made, great colours and stick really well. We have repositioned a couple which has been easy to do. We are moving shortly and might go for a change of theme but then again we may just add to these. Would recommend.

The Great Monster Hunt
The Great Monster Hunt
by Norbert Landa

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 21 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Great Monster Hunt (Paperback)
We bought this on a whim but my little girl loves it and I have to say I do too. It has become a staple at bedtime.

Childrens Princess Pop Up Castle - Suitable for Indoor & Outdoor Use : Girls Pink Toy Play Tent / Playhouse / Den
Offered by The Prezzie Place
Price: 49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely tent but not pop up?, 5 Jan 2012
My little girl LOVES this tent and has many picnic lunches in it has filled it with cushions and her favourite friends (teddies and dollies etc). I would agree that it is nowhere near as pink as the picture suggests more a silver grey with pink roof and window and door covers but it is pink enough. However I am not sure how anyone could describe it as pop up - it has 4 large poles which you need to insert into the base and the point at the top to keep it up. A bit fiddly but not a disaster but it is a bit rich to describe it as such. However as it is such a hit I have still given it 4 stars

A Spring Affair
A Spring Affair
by Milly Johnson
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant read, 5 Jan 2012
This review is from: A Spring Affair (Paperback)
This is only the second Milly Johnson book I have read, having thoroughly enjoyed Here Come the Girls I thought I would give another of her books a whirl and I was not disappointed. This book may be classed as chicklit but it is in a different league to many other books in that category. Every last character from the main players Lou, Tom, Phil, Debra etc to the bit parts Karen, Nicola & Stan are well observed and transferred to the page for our enjoyment. I am fairly certain that there are traits in most of them (good and bad) that people will either recognise in themselves or in others. The story is predictable (who doesn't love a happy ending?) but funny, comforting and engaging all the way to the end. I will be getting another book shortly - the only thing holding me back is that when I have started I have to finish so I need to make sure I have some time to spare!

bike*star 30.5cm (12 Inch) Kids Learner Balance Beginner Run Bike Sport - Lilac & White
Offered by Star-Trademarks
Price: 69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent balance bike, 28 Dec 2011
This was a last minute gift for my little girl. It arrived in double quick time so was with us in plenty of time for Christmas. Grandad put this together and was very impressed especially for the price and whilst I am sure it will pick up some scratches along the way it has started off looking incredibly smart. My 2 year old is quite tall (89cm with long legs) and with the saddle in the lowest possible position she can reach the floor easily. She has only had the bike a couple of days and is still getting to grips with it but it is already a favourite. Would happily recommend

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4