Profile for Sophie > Reviews

Content by Sophie

Sophie "Sophie" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Here Comes the Bride (Modern Arrangements Trilogy Book 2)
Here Comes the Bride (Modern Arrangements Trilogy Book 2)
Price: 1.27

1.0 out of 5 stars weak, 15 Nov 2013
I decided while on holiday to read books 2 and 3 of this trilogy having downloaded the first for free. The story became progressively weaker and increasingly ridiculous as it continued, the characters were unbelievable and unlikeable and behaved in completely unlikely ways.There were so many glaring plot holes with time frames which simply didn't add up (ages of children, when things happened relative to each other etc).

Don't waste your time or money.

Running the Rift
Running the Rift
Price: 1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A harrowing yet compelling read, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Running the Rift (Kindle Edition)
This was one of the best novels I have read in many months. It is harrowing and distressing at times, but well written in an accessible style (rather than a turgid literary style). It is a gripping tale of survival against the odds, the desperate lengths people have to go to just to stay alive, and it completely held my attention. There is so much to take from this book about friendship and family, communities, love and hope against the backdrop of genocide. The lead characters were completely believable, and I found myself really caring about them and their survival.

It pulled me in right from the start, with small actions of hidden menace, which gradually build into the full horror of violence. I could so easily picture the changes in people, going from being friends and neighbours to feared enemies.

The Midwife of Hope River
The Midwife of Hope River
by Patricia Harman
Price: 5.60

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings, 9 Mar 2013
I did enjoy this book, but felt that the author should not have strayed out of her sphere of knowledge without more research. I refer specifically to all scenes involving veterinary medicine - bitches whelp, not labour, laminitic horses with sunken penetrating pedal bones would be highly unlikely to recover to be ridden without antibiotics/anti-inflammatories and many months of intensive nursing, and disseminated intravascular coagulation did not receive this name until 1950's. Details maybe, but enough to make me wonder how many other inaccuracies there were in areas I am less familiar with.

It felt as if the author wanted to cram in too many examples of what can go wrong/right in a home delivery at the cost of so many other themes that could have been explored, using Patience as the conduit.

But it was a quick and easy, enjoyable read, nonetheless.

Cancelled (Love story from a male POV)
Cancelled (Love story from a male POV)
Price: 2.54

1.0 out of 5 stars thankfully a free download, 1 Mar 2013
Poor characterisation, weak plot, not been proof read. Full of unlikeable, unrealistic people and situations, Forced myself to finish it.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars appeals to my black satirical sense of humour, 1 Mar 2013
For me, this was one of those books that I stayed awake too late at night so I could finish reading it. It is a fairly black humour and yes, you have to suspend disbelief that one person could be in the position to influence so many political situations of the 20th century. But no one holds that against Forrest Gump.

I literally laughed out loud at this book and the hapless accidental hero of the story. It is improbable, yes, but how many works of fiction are truly realistic? I can only assume that the few detractors live in a very dull and literla existence.

I don't want to regurgitate the plot, but if you like black comedy, farce, and a smattering of elephant dung mixed in, this might just appeal to you!

The Man Who Disappeared
The Man Who Disappeared
by Clare Morrall
Price: 6.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, 27 Sep 2010
We're meant to believe that a transatlantic flight would be held back for several hours while a bizarre interview with the 'heroine' is carried out. We're also meant to believe that a money-laundering story would cover the front page and be headline news for weeks on end. And, that it is possible to buy a new house using the income from a couple of pretty menial part-time jobs (lollipop lady and cleaner).

Then, there is the unforgivable racial stereotype of a corner shop owner with limited grasp of English, who is prepared to employ someone who walks in off the street for below minimum wage and avoid tax/NI.

Most of the characters are thinly drawn, and there are numerous superfluous characters (e.g. Lawrence, the older son and his girlfriend) who add nothing to the plot. Bland and dull. Avoid.

Jungle Safari Nursery and Bedroom Wall Sticker Make-Over Kit
Jungle Safari Nursery and Bedroom Wall Sticker Make-Over Kit
Price: 27.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, and perfectly sticky!, 6 July 2009
I purchased these just over two years ago for my son's room. They still look as good as the day they went up, and were very easy to apply. We have had no problems with peeling off like another reviewer. My son loves them, and has asked for the same again in his new room after we move house.

Life on Air
Life on Air
by David Attenborough

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 19 Jun 2008
This review is from: Life on Air (Paperback)
David Attenborough is one of my all time heroes, so how could I fail to enjoy it? He has lived the most exciting, extraordinary and amazing life, and done so many things that I could only dream of. It was one of the easiest reads I have had in a long, long time and simply fascinating to read about the changes in attitudes in zoology over the last 50 years, not to forget his time as an early pioneer of TV.
Read it.

The Life of Birds
The Life of Birds
by David Attenborough

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, easy read, 19 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Life of Birds (Paperback)
So many factual texts can be hard to read. but this book contains an enormous range of information without being in such depth that the 'average' reader gets lost. It is stuffed with beautiful pictures. I would encourage anyone with even a passing interest in birds to read it. You'll be hooked and want to know more...

Last Voyage of the Valentina
Last Voyage of the Valentina
by Santa Montefiore

1.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought it secondhand from a local charity shop, 19 Jun 2008
At least that way somebody benefitted from the purchase, as it certainly wasn't me! Mindless, improbable but predictable drivel. The central character is a thoroughly unpleasant individual. It is described as a mystery, but there is never any sense of tension or desire to keep turning the pages to find out what happens next.

I hate the phrase 'low decolletage', which was repeated on multiple occasions. Surely there are better ways to describe a woman's dress?

I'm giving it one star, because I'm not allowed to give it none.

Page: 1 | 2