Profile for Sophie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Last Voyage of the Valentina
Last Voyage of the Valentina
by Santa Montefiore

1.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought it secondhand from a local charity shop, 19 Jun 2008
At least that way somebody benefitted from the purchase, as it certainly wasn't me! Mindless, improbable but predictable drivel. The central character is a thoroughly unpleasant individual. It is described as a mystery, but there is never any sense of tension or desire to keep turning the pages to find out what happens next.

I hate the phrase 'low decolletage', which was repeated on multiple occasions. Surely there are better ways to describe a woman's dress?

I'm giving it one star, because I'm not allowed to give it none.

Imperfectly Natural Baby and Toddler: How to be a green parent in today's busy world
by Janey Lee Grace

2.0 out of 5 stars A dissenting voice, 4 Jun 2007
I really, really want to like this book. I do my best to live a 'semi-natural' lifestyle, and thought this would be the perfect guide to helping me follow it through into parenting.

Unfortunately, it is opinion and personal belief dressed up as scientific fact in many areas, written in such a way as to strike fear into the heart of any inexperienced mother trying to find her way through the minefield of early motherhood. Few, if any, of the damaging claims for the 'unnatural' path are backed up by references. Controlled crying is referred to as 'leaving them to cry it out' rather than a staged retreat. Fluoride is referred to as a drug, with no mention of it being essential in the diet at the correct level.

This book would be useful for someone who is able to pick the fact from the fiction, but I wouldn't risk giving it to a potentially nervous new mother who will be overwhelmed with guilt at all the terrible things they are exposing their child too. Don't read it unless you can keep things in perspective.

There is however, a great web directory for those who are convinced and ready to buy.

I sent it back.

LeapFrog Hug & Learn Baby Tad
LeapFrog Hug & Learn Baby Tad

1.0 out of 5 stars Makes my skin crawl, 20 April 2006
My son was given this toy for Christmas by my father. It has come out of the toybox only twice since.

Like the previous reviewer who wanted to make it stop shouting at him, I find it loud (there's no volume control) and its accent irritating. The tunes are played too fast, in an infuriating pseudo-childs voice.

And, the material it is made from catches on your skin/nails, and literally makes my skin crawl.

I also hope my son does not grow up to love Baby Tad.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2011 4:05 PM BST