Profile for ... > Reviews

Content by ...

... (London, UK)

Ladies Womens Plain Black Buckled School Skirt Short Mini Back Zip Side Pleated UK 6-16 (UK Size 14)
Offered by Shab Fashion

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality, 8 Jun. 2015
Fab skirt, feels well made and looks nice. Size was quite accurate, even a little looser than expected as most clothes are the opposite when they're under £20. The feel is quite thing and flowing with nice movement in the fabric. Belt looks good.

The Newsroom - Season 2 [DVD] [2014]
The Newsroom - Season 2 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Jeff Daniels

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Nov. 2014
Brilliant 2nd season. The whole Genoa

Dream Theater
Dream Theater

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 and a half really but still wow, 22 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
In the age of free music streaming, I know it's barely worth reading/writing music reviews these days...
but...
I had to write this because some of the reviews on here are bizarre! I know music is an art form and, therefore, subjective but Dream Theater's latest album is surely their best since the Muse-inspired Octavarium (which I adore partly due to that but mostly because the title track is my fave DT track ever) and I really don't understand the resistance to it.
I'm convinced that many of the fans who dislike this album wrote off DT the moment Mike Portnoy left and, perhaps, can't help but see this as further evidence that he should come back. Maybe I'm being unfair but, if not, those same devotees should open their minds as there's nothing to gain from walking away from a band of virtuosos. If they genuinely don't like this, fine, their loss IMO but, if you are similarly concerned and reading this review, please listen to the album and again...and again as this album really does get better with each listen.

There is one obvious flaw, however. I've never loved the band's lyrics generally but these are, mostly, utterly forgettable, but that's a very small negative wave in a sea of positives. Besides, no-one ever claimed that DT had a Roger Waters-esque poet or a storyteller, a la Peter Gabriel, in the band.

Comments about synth/pad sounds are accurate but I admit I like those because they add colour and ambience at the right times.

The guitar work is sublime - actually it's stunning in places, as is the production on most songs. I think the drumming suits perfectly.

Finally, I have to add a bit about the orchestral section in Illumination Theory. I'm a big classical music fan and am aware as both a listener and composer that large-scale arranging is not an easy task! However, Turkish arranger/conductor Eren Başbuğ's work on Jordan Rudess's composition is so good he makes it look simple, almost surpassing the themes he's so brilliantly orchestrated.

So, yes, if you like Dream Theater, you really should give this album a few chances to grow on you. Personally, I loved it instantly. :)

The best tracks for me are : The Enemy Inside - this would have been a suitable addition and highlight on Train Of Thought had it been written 10 years ago, The Bigger Picture, Surrender To Reason and, of course, Illumination Theory - a 20-minute classic with obvious progressive rock influences and a string section to buy for.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2013 11:20 PM GMT