Profile for J. M. Reurslag-McIntyre > Reviews

Content by J. M. Reurslag...

J. M. Reurslag-McIntyre "Joanne" (The Netherlands)

The Lion and the Unicorn
The Lion and the Unicorn
by Shirley Hughes

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read for kids of varying ages, 4 Jan. 2010
This is a beautifully illustrated book which I bought for my 8 year old son. It touches on a range of subjects that remain important for kids of many ages; being the odd one out at school, missing family, and above all the inner strength and braveness inside us all. It also touched on the human tragedy of war without being overly gruesome, which I felt was important as my son loves playing at being a soldier etc and this helped him to see war from a different and more serious perspective. We have had several interesting talks about these and other themes which arise in the book, and I would highly recommend it.

Stephen Biesty's Incredible Cross-Sections  (Stephen Biesty's Cross-sections)
Stephen Biesty's Incredible Cross-Sections (Stephen Biesty's Cross-sections)
by Stephen Biesty

5.0 out of 5 stars Could it bet better?...No!, 13 Dec. 2009
This is Stephen Biesty after all. At excellent book, I bought this for my 8 year old son who loved his Man 'o War book and just loves this one too. Brilliant illustrations combined with humour and great text...who couldn't love this book?

The History of Warfare: the Battle of Waterloo [DVD]
The History of Warfare: the Battle of Waterloo [DVD]
Dvd ~ The History of Warfare

4.0 out of 5 stars very good basis for a beginner/medium interest viewer, 13 Dec. 2009
I bought this DVD having limited knowledge of, but a lot of interest in, the Waterloo battle. This DVD provides a very good basis for understanding the background, tactics, and results of the battle and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested. Good text and grahics, realistic re-enactments, and knowledgeable commentary make this a very engaging DVD to watch.

A Port Through Time
A Port Through Time
by Anne Millard

5.0 out of 5 stars Get lost in a world of detail, information fun, 26 May 2009
This review is from: A Port Through Time (Hardcover)
I purchased this book for my 8 year old son after seeing others in the series. He loves it for the wealth of detail and spends ages poring over each illustration. The book prompts questions and is a great way to spend time together, plus it's fun; there are amusing or surprising details on each two page spread. The progression of the port over the centuries is very well rendered and makes for an engaging book whether the reader is five or fifteen. Highly recommended.