Profile for Mr. D. Stephens > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. Stephens

Mr. D. Stephens (Chippenham, Wilts, UK)

Poems
Poems
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

5.0 out of 5 stars Good 1887 collection., 25 April 2014
This review is from: Poems (Hardcover)
A Wonderful 1887 edition of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry. Contains some if my personal favourites. My copy was in very good condition.

Anthology (Poet)
Anthology (Poet)
by Robert Browning

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Anthology (Poet) (Hardcover)
A very nice little pocket edition of a good selection of some of the Robert and Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry

Celestial Star Projector Lamp Night Light Funny DIY Romantic Valentine's Day
Celestial Star Projector Lamp Night Light Funny DIY Romantic Valentine's Day

3.0 out of 5 stars Good lamp, let down by lack of assembly instructions., 25 April 2014
A good product, but as stated by another reviewer, you need to fully assemble this lamp yourself, including the wiring - without any instructions. It came out OK in the end for me, but I can see a lot of people having problems with it.

A Memory of Wind: A Tor.Com Original
A Memory of Wind: A Tor.Com Original

5.0 out of 5 stars The life and death of Iphigenia., 1 Mar 2014
This is movingly beautiful retelling of the ancient Greek story of Iphigenia - the daughter of Agamemnon sacrificed for good winds for the launch of the fleet invading Troy - is magical and heartbreaking. A must read.

Engevita Savoury Yeast Condiment With B12 125 g (Nutritional Yeast Flakes - Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Even More of a must have!, 31 May 2013
I started off buying the regular version of these flakes - and I absolutely adored them.

As I stated in my review of them:
It has been a total lifesaver since I went Vegan - it is hugely versatile, tastes incredibly delicious (the "cheese" sauce I've made with this is BETTER than any "real" cheese sauce I have had in my life!), its very good for you (it's packed with vit. b12), and above all its cheap!

Everything applies to these enriched flakes - only more so! I find they have a stronger, even more unctuous flavour than the regular variety, and so you actually need to use less of them to get the same effect (though they are so nice, using "less" is often a feat of willpower!).

So as the other flakes got 5 stars from me, these, as they are even better, would get 6 - if only it were possible!

I have them on subscription so I never run out - I just couldn't do without them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2014 5:31 PM GMT

The Brothers
The Brothers

5.0 out of 5 stars Secrets in the snow, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Brothers (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book when it was one of Amazon's daily Kindle deals last year. The blurb seemed interesting, and at 99p, I figured I couldn't go wrong.

And so it sat, unread and unremembered on my Kindle for months, languishing in my ever expanding "To Read" collection. It would probably be there still, if I hadn't been for the rapidly approaching new year. I wanted a short book to get through before the years end and, at 120 pages, "The Brothers" fit the bill.

As it turned out, though it was promoted from "To Read" to "Reading" at the end of November, I didn't actually start it until this weekend. (Procrastination, thy name is Danny)

A part of me wishes I had read it sooner -another part of me is happy I didn't as it means I can share my impressions of it with you. (Hint: I loved it!)

The book has been described as "A Shakespearean drama from icy Finland", and, though apt, I don't feel that truly does it justice. I feels more like a sweeping 19th century (Russian?) epic, condensed down to its most pure, distilled form - like good Finnish vodka!

Reading this book, it never feels like there is a single wasted line or superfluous word -yet at the same time, each of the multiple viewpoint characters feels completely unique and engaging, their voices all individual.

The book is set in 1809, in the aftermath of the Finnish war between Sweden and Russia, in a large farmhouse Finland. Sweden has lost the war - and the Finnish territory to the Russian Empire, and as a result, things are very unsettled.

The Brothers of the tile refer to Henrik and Erik - previously close, they had been driven apart prior to the war over matters of love and honor To further complicate matters, they each fought of opposite sides during the conflict - Erik for the Swedes, Henrik for the Russians.

Erik, though the younger brother, is in possession of the house, following events that are slowly revealed in the course of the book, and lives there with his wife, his mother, his manservant - who is also an impoverished relative, the loyal Farmhand, and various servants.

Henrik, who left the farm for initially unstated reasons years before, returns at the start of the book, and serves as a catalyst for the events that follow.

The Brothers is a book that, despite its short length, is so full of twists and turns, secrets, grudges love and hatred that saying to much more could ruin someone enjoyment.

Sahlberg (and the translators) brings it all together masterfully, creating engaging fully realised world, one that you can practically touch and taste and smell.

It may not be to everyone's taste, but I would urge anyone looking for a good, thought provoking work of historical fiction to read to give this book a try.

Grow
Grow

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, let down a little by the controls, 22 Sep 2012
This review is from: Grow (App)
This is a pretty fun little game, and quite addictive, but I can't give it full marks as I have found the controls to be a big let down. I found the following default tilt control method to be impossible to use, and the other two methods are rather clunky - and obscure part of the view of the screen. I can't help but feel this would be a pretty awesome game on console or pc - ie on something that gives you separate controls.
However, it's free, so I can't really complain!

Suma TVP Flavoured Coloured Mince 250 g (Pack of 6)
Suma TVP Flavoured Coloured Mince 250 g (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stuff, 21 Sep 2012
I have always liked TVP - soya mince as it always used to be called - even before I went vegan I often eat it in preference to meat mince. Sadly, my local shops don't seam to sell it any-more - so I was very happy to find it on here.
Great quality product, at a great price. Can't go wrong with that!

Engevita Yeast Flakes 125 g (Pack of 6)
Engevita Yeast Flakes 125 g (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have item for Vegans!!, 21 Sep 2012
I absolutely adore this product.

It has been an total life saver since I went Vegan - it is hugely versatile, tastes incredibly delicious (the "cheese" sauce I've made with this is BETTER than any "real" cheese sauce I have had in my life!), its very good for you (its packed with vit. b12), and above all its cheap!
I have been using it almost everyday, and I am still (just about) on my first container.

Even my non Vegan friends and family love it, and have been asking where they can get some - it is just THAT GOOD!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2013 3:43 PM BST

Motionperformance Chrome Racing Car / Bike Tyre Valve Caps
Motionperformance Chrome Racing Car / Bike Tyre Valve Caps
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality caps, 1 Jun 2010
Very nice looking, good quality caps - look very good on a car, not to over the top, recomended!