Profile for Ms Linda Phillips > Reviews

Content by Ms Linda Phillips

Ms Linda Phillips

An American Caddie in St. Andrews: Growing Up, Girls and Looping on the Old Course
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful to hear about the caddy life at St Andrews ..., 3 July 2014
A very entertaining read. Wonderful to hear about the caddy life at St Andrews and the many anecdotes and stories about the real characters that work there.

Casual Dining Essentials 69-inch Round Tablecloth, Purple
Casual Dining Essentials 69-inch Round Tablecloth, Purple
Offered by 4 Your Home
Price: 10.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 22 Dec 2013
I was initially very pleased because it arrived quickly the week before Christmas. However when I opened it up and spread it out yesterday I saw what I thought was a lot of loose threads. When I tried to pick them off I saw that they were attached and that there were pulled and looped threads all over it. There is no time to return and reorder for Christmas and so I spent ages yesterday pushing the threads to the wrong side with a bodkin. I couldn't do them all and so the lovely new tablecloth that I ordered for Christmas actually looks as though it has been well-used.

The King's Mistress: The True and Scandalous Story of the Woman Who Stole the Heart of George I
Price: 3.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, 13 Jan 2013
History makes it a bit confusing anyway, because so many of the fathers and sons and female members of the family had the same names. Obviously that is not the fault of the author, but she seems to compound the confusion by jumping backwards and forwards and not always dealing with events chronologically. When you have read about someone's demise, they crop up again a couple of chapters later. I also find the writing style rather dry and boring.
Sorry, not a page-turner for me as I find the book very easy to put down.

An Englishman's Home: The Adventures Of An Eccentric Gardener
An Englishman's Home: The Adventures Of An Eccentric Gardener
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read and I hope there will be another book to follow this one, 13 Jan 2013
I visited the World Garden at Lullingstone in September with my aunt (a former librarian). She had seen the TV series and when she told me the story behind the creation of the garden, I couldn't wait to read the book. We both read the books in sequence, so The Cloud Garden first and then An Englishman's Home. We enjoyed reading both books, but we agreed that we liked the second even more than the first. I loved Tom's easy, conversational writing style and he managed to be informative and interesting without overwhelming the reader with latin names and science. He struck a fine balance between chronicling the creation of the garden and introducing his family and friends. I loved the book and will revisit the World Garden this year with a fresh viewpoint. Will you write a sequel please, Tom?