Profile for K. Mead > Reviews

K. Mead (Winchester, UK)

Funfairs and Heartbreak
Funfairs and Heartbreak

5.0 out of 5 stars A Time To Remember, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Funfairs and Heartbreak (Audio CD)
Just discovered the track A Time To Remember among my unlabelled songs on iTunes and fell in love with it, slightly Pogues-ish feel to it - so I ended up here buying the CD. Vocals are great, definitely worth a listen, shame Special Needs make it bigger, definitely much better than many of the indie bands that followed in the wake of The Libertines. Hope Zachery is still singing somewhere! (And why is the Wikipedia entry under 'The Needs'?)

Sans Fusils, Ni Souliers, A Paris. Martha Wainwright's Piaf Record
Sans Fusils, Ni Souliers, A Paris. Martha Wainwright's Piaf Record

5.0 out of 5 stars Made to sing Piaf, 22 Feb 2014
This is a delicious record, it's as if these songs were designed to show off Martha's voice, pure pleasure. I'm afraid that since buying this our old Piaf albums haven't been played...

Picture - art on canvas nature length 51" height 31,5", four-part parts model no. XXL 6130 Pictures completely framed on large frame. Art print Images realised as wall picture on real wooden framework. A canvas picture is much less expensive than an oil painting poster or placard
Offered by Visario Arts

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, lovely colours, striking, 22 Feb 2014
My son was doing his room out in black and green and wanted this - I was dubious but actually it looks really great, is sturdy and the colours show no sign of fading even after a couple of years in a sunny room. A good buy.

The Hour - Series 1 [DVD]
The Hour - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Romola Garai

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and entertaining, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Hour - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Such a shame that the BBC couldn't stick with this and cancelled after just two series; the context and characters deserved development over a longer period, Mad Men-style. This is the first series, but the second one is possibly even better. I like the way it interweaved contemporary (late 50s in series 1, early 60s in Series 2) stories into the drama, and the performances were great - not only the stars, Wishaw/West/Garai, but also Anna Chancellor and Oono Chaplin. Watch both series and imagine your own third...

The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars: 40th Anniversary Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 22 Feb 2014
Very different from the Berlin years, but this was the one that made me love him in the first place - I was 14, bought the LP, carried it around like an identity badge, such a flash of light compared with the rock and prog bands of the time. It's crazy, dramatic, over the top, but filled with great riffs and great images. To be enjoyed..... then, when your emotions are drained, cool down with Low. A perfect contrast.

Love Undercover
Love Undercover
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Play it loud and enjoy!, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Love Undercover (Audio CD)
By far my favourite of the Coral members' solo projects, I defy anyone to feel down while listening to this music. Skelly is in great voice and it fair rollicks, makes you want to dance, there's a bit of Van Morrison at his punchiest about it, excellent job!

Back Into the Woods
Back Into the Woods

5.0 out of 5 stars Piano, voice and a little bit more - intimate and beautiful, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Back Into the Woods (Audio CD)
Absolutely love this, it's Ed Harcourt stripped back to the basics without the luscious arrangements of some of his other albums. The spare settings suit his voice, and after repeated listening I never grow tired of these melodies. According to the BBC this was recorded in one night at Abbey Road and it has a feeling of intimacy, as if he's singing in your living room. Favourite tracks Murmur In My Heart, the title track, and The Man That Time Forgot - in terms of sales Harcourt does seem to be forgotten, in spite of that Mercury nomination for Here Be Monsters, yet good as that was, he has much more to offer. Buy this, then the new EP, then everything else...

No - Film [DVD] with Limited Edition Alternative Artwork
No - Film [DVD] with Limited Edition Alternative Artwork
Dvd ~ Gael Garcia Bernal

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and entertaining, 22 Feb 2014
From the subject matter you might expect this to be worthy but maybe dull, whereas we found it flew by - thoroughly watchable and entertaining, as well as entertaining. Refreshing, with engaging characters. Haven't seen the previous related films but will hunt them out now!

All Maps Welcome
All Maps Welcome
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Now my favourite Tom Mcrae album, 15 Feb 2009
This review is from: All Maps Welcome (Audio CD)
Several years on I love this record and play it over and over again. When I first bought it I was disappointed, as I'd been with Just Like Blood - I'd been bowled over by the first eponymous album and to me these second two albums lacked the intensity of those first songs. I still think the first album is amazing, it always takes me back to the first time I saw him at Portsmouth Wedgewood Rooms, with his fiery opinions about politics combined with angry and tender songs, he got a rapturous reception and came back solo for an extra encore to sing "I ain't scared of lightning", magic. So you can see that I'm crazy about the first album (a "must own"), so when I say that after several years this is the one I go back to most often you'll appreciate that I think it's a thing of beauty - gentler than the first album but with a more subtle magic.

Now to catch up on King of Cards....

Heimat [DVD] [1984]
Heimat [DVD] [1984]
Dvd ~ Marita Breuer
Offered by alentertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best thing I've ever seen on television., 16 Nov 2004
This review is from: Heimat [DVD] [1984] (DVD)
This was a complete revelation when we watched it in the 80's. Every episode is as satisfying in its own right as an intelligent film, but the whole builds up to a fascinating portrait of a German family and their friends from the first world war to, as I remember, the 1970s. Don't be put off by the fact that it's in German with English sub-titles, my husband speaks no German but loved every minute. There's lots of warmth and humour as well as drama. Brilliant cast and it looks amazing.
I've been on an internet mailing list for years waiting for this to come out, it will be my present to myself this Christmas.
Essential for anyone interested in the history of the last century, the second half is also very interesting (and sometimes funny) on modern (classical) music.