Profile for C. Bellis > Reviews

Battery Operated Heart Fairy Light Wreath with 10 Warm White LEDs by Lights4fun
Battery Operated Heart Fairy Light Wreath with 10 Warm White LEDs by Lights4fun
Offered by Lights4fun

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, 27 Dec. 2014
Really happy with this. Looks stunning.

Incomparable: Explorations in the Character of God
Incomparable: Explorations in the Character of God

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 27 Dec. 2014
A superb book which I bought a few years back in paperback and have now updated to my kindle. Each chapter can be read as a bible study or as a prelude to praise and worship. Every aspect of God, as highlighted by Andrew, gives fresh pause for consideration and deep thought. How amazing is our God.

Creamy White Battery Powered LED Rattan Cane Wooden Ball Fairy Light String 3m (9.9 feet) Long
Offered by ChainuponStringLights

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, great service, 27 Dec. 2014
I picked these up the day before Christmas Eve and the packaging was great. Strong and sturdy with a very helpful message from the vendor inside giving his email address and telephone number incase anything was wrong.

This was so handy as I had a bit of bother getting the clear casing in to put in the batteries but Ollie responded in less than 24 hours and my lights are now cheering up my place.

The lights themselves look great and battery-operated means they can go anywhere without having to worry about being close to a socket.
However the after-care from Ollie is just brilliant. Highly recommended.

Elegant Crystal Flower Fairy Lights Garland, 60 Warm White LEDs, Indoor Lights
Elegant Crystal Flower Fairy Lights Garland, 60 Warm White LEDs, Indoor Lights

4.0 out of 5 stars They look great, very happy with, 13 Dec. 2014
Bought these to go around my full length mirror and to add some sparkle in the cold winter nights to my bedroom. They look great, very happy with them

The Happy Intercessor: 1
The Happy Intercessor: 1

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great, 13 April 2013
I'm not sure what I was expecting from Mrs Bill Johnson but what I was hoping for wasn't in this book. Whilst the book itself was ok and well written, it wasn't really a biography or a book providing guidance on intercession.

Some of it seemed to be "fluff" for want of a better word. There were areas where Beni shared about an experience then would just end it with an odd sentence which didn't really say what her take-aways were, views on how others might get closer to God. I felt a bit confused by it to be honest.

I wouldn't say I disliked it because I enjoyed reading about some of her experiences but I just found a lack of conclusions to it and that was frustrating hence why 3 stars.

Did the Resurrection Happen . . . Really?: A Dialogue on Life, Death, and Hope (The Coffee House Chronicles)

2.0 out of 5 stars Dry, 13 April 2013
I tried very hard to like this book but I found the swathes of bible verses and the sanctimonious tones of some of the characters too much. I never finished it.

The Most Important Thing Happening: A Novel in Stories
The Most Important Thing Happening: A Novel in Stories

2.0 out of 5 stars started off well, 13 April 2013
I really enjoyed the first few stories and even got how the writer was being to intertwine them but by the middle of the book I began to lose interest. Whilst the concept had initially intrigued me, I found some of the characters irritating and just became plain bored with the development of the following stories. Certainly a clever idea but not sure if it worked for me.

The Wild of God: A Global Journey
The Wild of God: A Global Journey

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, challenging and beautiful, 13 April 2013
I was intrigued by the overview of this book but, as non-fiction isn't usually my normal fare, wondered whether I would be enticed by this story of a young man's adventure of travelling the world as a missionary for a year.

It is, without doubt, the best book I have read in over 5 years (and I read ALOT).

His descriptions of each country visited allow you a glimpse through his eyes of the vistas, the people and the cultures. Indeed they are glimpses as the author had only a year to cover so many countries spanning the globe. The description of the city dump in Mexico showed the hopelessness of the people living and eeking out a living there, the despair of the inhabitants of wastelands in Nicagrua, his wonder of the majesty of the Andes whilst in Peru - all pictures drawn in black ink allowed me to be there with him.

Then Eric covers the brief stop in London, the culture shock of modern life before being plunged back into South Africa and the areas ravaged by civil wars, the beautiful way of people still managing to find a gleam of hope in a hopeless situation within their refugee camp.His descriptions of China, Tibet, Thailand all awakened my imagination so that I could almost taste the Yak's milk.

What I also appreciated was his account of his own changing relationship with God, how he was trying to grasp a vital faith coming from a background of comfort, as we do in the western world, yet seeing basic tennents of faith lived out by those with so much less than we would imagine is possible to survive on. I also appreciated his honesty where he struggled with his doubts and not always having the answers. Too often, it seems that we feel we have to have an answer to our doubts - surely, isn't it in continuing to have faith whilst we have doubts that our faith is matured and made stronger?

I also appreciated his understanding of people with faith other than his own - knowing they needed Jesus but not wading in in typical evangelical stomping, a fact he notes when teaching young Tibetan monks - and instead appreciates their humour, their humanity, their wisdom and where appropriate, learning more of God through his interaction with them. Make no mistake, Eric is a born-again Christian but this story is his growing in maturity as he interacts with people from different cultures and means. They give to him as much as he gives to them and this shows in his writing.

Reading through Eric's journey of faith, as well as his physical traversing, made me long for a deeper, closer walk with God, to hear God's voice in a clearer way for my own life.

The most touching parts of the book that had me blinking back tears were his description Jose, the man who'd been alone for 60 years yet found freedom and acceptance, of his time sitting on the mountains in Peru during his time with the farmers there and his amazing desciption of the glory of God's creation and finally his mountain top experience in Tibet, far above the monestary as God shows him something amazing, just for him.

I cannot recommend this book enough. I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my review yesterday and I have blazed through the pages.

Eric, thank you for this beautiful description of your year long journey. You are not the same for having undertaken it and I am not the same for reading it.

Yahweh
Yahweh

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 16 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Yahweh (Audio CD)
This was the second purchase of Hillsong Chapel I've made although it was actually the first in the series to be released.

I love the "stripped down" versions of the songs we've come to love so much from Hillsong but this style gives it a much more intimate feel & is ideal for personal worship times or, I would imagine, small groups.

There is a sensitivity to the arrangements & I think, in most cases, I prefer them.

Definitely a "must buy".

Coming Home: A Story of Undying Hope
Coming Home: A Story of Undying Hope

5.0 out of 5 stars Break out the hankies!, 24 Nov. 2012
As a conclusion to the Baxter stories, this is a humdinger.

Karen sets the scene carefully so you can re-acquiant yourself with the Baxter family and gives just enough background to remind you what each character has been through so you are ready for the next and final chapter of their story (as I assume Karen really isn't going to write anymore about them now).

What can I say? Read it. It's tender, funny, absorbing, throws some challenging thoughts about our faith; just how serious are we when the chips are down, and ultimately it's a cracking read.

Do keep a box of tissues close by though. If you like a good cry, this certainly meets the criteria!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4