Profile for WJ FOX > Reviews

Content by WJ FOX

WJ FOX (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Toshiba PX1626E-1HE0 500GB StorE Alu2 USB 2.0 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive Silver

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor lifespan - died within a few months, 12 April 2015
I don't recommend this at all. Mine was unable to handle large file transfers, and eventually just froze, after which it didn't work at all. I've since purchased a Buffalo MiniStation 500GB, which is perfect and doesn't have any problems, even after many months of use.

Komputerbay 32GB Class 10 High Speed Micro SDHC Card with SDHC Adapter/USB Adapter
Offered by KOMPBAY

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Jan. 2012
Excellent product - I've been using this SD card for several weeks now and it's performed brilliantly. No problems at all. Delivery was also fast. I would use Komputerbay again.

London: The Biography
London: The Biography
by Peter Ackroyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating exploration of London's history, 26 Mar. 2011
This review is from: London: The Biography (Paperback)
Finally finished reading this last night ... all 800 pages. The size of this book can be daunting - but if you stick with it, it's easily one of the best books you'll read on the subject of London. Peter Ackroyd is a genius. I love his style and the way he describes the sights, sounds, smells, noises, crowds and atmosphere of London's streets, the legendary stories from its past, and its rise from a small Roman village to the capital of a global empire. This book is just packed full of historical events and fascinating tales about the bloody uprisings, plagues, fires, urban legends, famous criminals and other characters that have played a part in shaping London. The architecture, infrastructure and physical expansion of the city is also described in wonderful detail. You get a real sense of how the city evolved over time. Ackroyd did a TV series too. Highly recommended!

24: Season Six DVD Collection [DVD] [2002]
24: Season Six DVD Collection [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Kiefer Sutherland
Offered by MediaMine

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly outstanding drama, 27 Feb. 2011
I don't often write reviews, but on this occasion I feel compelled to do so - I simply cannot believe some of the negative comments from other Amazon reviewers! Season 6 is truly outstanding. I didn't find it repetitive at all. There is no "significant reduction in Jack Bauer's screen time" as claimed by another reviewer... were we even watching the same programme?! It is EASILY as good as some of the earlier series. If you love edge-of-your-seat drama, a tense and intriguing political storyline, thrilling action scenes, and brilliant character development, you won't be disappointed by this. I have no hesitation in awarding it 5 stars!

Brabantia Pedal Bin, 12 Litre - Matt Steel
Brabantia Pedal Bin, 12 Litre - Matt Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, high quality bin, 2 Sept. 2010
This is an excellent, high quality bin - very durable, stylish, looks great and is easy to use. Holds in odours too. I can't really fault it. Great value for money.

The Meaning Of The 21st Century: A Vital Blueprint For Ensuring Our Future
The Meaning Of The 21st Century: A Vital Blueprint For Ensuring Our Future
by James Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating look at the dangers and opportunities of the 21st century, 12 Oct. 2008
An utterly fascinating book... the best thing I've read in years.

I've been developing a strong interest in futurology, and this book is packed full of predictions, scenarios and warnings for what lies ahead in the 21st century. Practically everything you can think of is covered here - nanotechnology, genetics, climate change, overpopulation, poverty, disease, global trade, demographics, war, terrorism, computers and the Internet, AI, the exploration of Mars, transhumanism and mind uploading.

Martin writes in a clear, logical and persuasive style that is very easy to follow. This book is nearly 600 pages long, but I finished it within a couple of weeks.

Some of the predictions he describes are terrifying - it's clear that we face enormous challenges in the years ahead, and there's a very real chance that civilisation won't survive beyond the 21st century. We desperately need to learn how to manage our planet, its resources, and our relationships with the world's poorest countries.

One thing we can be sure about, is that we'll have to endure LOTS of changes over the next few decades.

Martin is an optimist though, and far from doom-mongering, he shows the many spectacular ways in which humanity could be transformed by the emerging technologies. But only if we learn to work together, control our resources, and minimise our impact on the natural world.

I would give this book 10/10, it's a real eye-opener and needs to be read by everyone... especially our politicians!

To quote Sarah Greenfield, Director of the Royal Institution: "On rare occasions, a special book introduces a vital new idea into the public consciousness. This is one of those books."

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money, 31 July 2008
I have to agree with the previous reviewer. My flatmates and I spent over half an hour trying to set these traps up, but found it impossible - despite being ultra-careful, extremely gentle, and following the instructions to the letter. The "arm" which is meant to hold the trap in place is simply too short, and we kept trapping our fingers by accident as it slipped and went off before we could set it properly.

On the packaging, this product claims to be the most popular mouse trap in the UK, but I find that hard to believe somehow. This was a complete waste of time and money. I don't often give a 1-star rating, but this thoroughly deserves it. I will be trying one of those electric traps instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2008 4:19 PM BST

Belkin Blaster Canned Air 12 oz
Belkin Blaster Canned Air 12 oz

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - but rather overpriced, 3 May 2008
This has a very powerful blast, and does a great job of blowing all the dust, gunk and other debris out of your keyboard. However, the air was almost completely used up by the time I'd finished. It therefore seems a little overpriced at £5.30, especially when you add the postage and packing to the cost. It might be cheaper to buy a new keyboard altogether.

Another point to note is that the cannister gets EXTREMELY cold after a few seconds of use - enough to make your skin stick to the metal. Make sure you wear gloves, or hold it with a cloth when you're using it. Also, it needs to be used in a well-ventilated area.

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)
Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good while it lasts..., 1 Oct. 2007
These are stylish and extremely comfortable earphones. They are very compact, and fit really neatly into your ears. The sound quality is superb - especially the noise insulation which blocks out almost everything around you. Even when I'm travelling around the busiest parts of London (such as Oxford Street, or on the tube), the music stays loud and extremely clear. All distractions are blocked out, even people talking loudly next to me.

Also, the lead is quite long (over a metre). If you play computer games, this makes it good for plugging into a PC or console, assuming you have one that's under the desk or is quite hard to reach. I found the quality to be exceptionally good for Doom 3, Quake 4 and similar games where the sound is really important.

For £17, these ought to be good value for money. However... I've had a persistent problem with the lifespan of this product. Despite taking really good care of them, I've just got through my 3rd pair in a year. For some reason, the left earphone seems to keep dying after a few months.

In summary, these earphones are excellent while they last, but the durability is terrible - I'm afraid I won't be buying them again. I suspect many of the reviewers here are people who've only had them for a short time, and have yet to experience this problem. For me, this certainly isn't a long term purchase.

Woken Furies (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Woken Furies (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Richard Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 May 2007
For those who are new to the world of Takeshi Kovacs, it's well worth reading the previous two novels in the trilogy (Altered Carbon and Broken Angels). Nevertheless, this book can be read on its own as a "standalone" novel.

The story is set about 500 years in the future and takes place on Harlan's World, a lush planet several light years from Earth. Technology is so advanced that people have achieved a kind of immortality. Their minds can be digitized and backed up on disks, then downloaded into new bodies following their death. This can lead to its own unique problems, however, which becomes clear as the novel progresses.

Without giving anything away, the plot centres around Kovacs - a man who once belonged to a group of elite soldiers known as the "Envoys" but is now on the run, having been involved in a number of incidents. The story follows him on a series of heart-stopping chases around the planet, during which he encounters a number of characters from his past, including one extremely important woman whose presence could change the world. There are various subplots, which ultimately converge and lead to a thrilling climax.

Overall, I loved this book, just as I loved the previous two novels in the series. There are some fascinating twists and turns, betrayals, and unexpected appearances from various people. The action scenes are particularly good, and this is where Richard Morgan really excels. In fact, I can't think of another writer who describes action scenes as well as he does. His style is excellent.

If you love sci-fi with a nice blend of action and dialogue, then you'll love what this novel has to offer. There are tons of original ideas and concepts here, futuristic technology, cool characters, breathtaking chases and surprises, interesting cities and locations... all of which make for a very absorbing setting. Takeshi Kovacs is violent and often flawed, a kind of anti-hero - but at the same time you're really rooting for him throughout the story.

Page: 1 | 2