Profile for brotherdeluxe > Reviews

Content by brotherdeluxe

brotherdeluxe

Google Nexus 10 Tablet Case - G-HUB PropUp RED Stand Case Cover (with integrated stand function and magnetic sleep sensors) for Google / Samsung Nexus 10 with BONUS: G-HUB ProPen Stylus
Offered by OGADGETHUB

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly good case at perfectly good price., 10 Feb 2013
Good case for Nexus 10 - fits well, stitched together solidly, the cut outs don't obscure any ports/camera, and the magnetic sensor works a treat. The only small irritation I have is that the case sits a little too upright when using the Nexus for watching films, etc. This is the only downside I have, and it's not really a problem, it's just my preference. As for the merchant - item as described and prompt delivery. Overall, happy with case and merchant.

Sony Walkman NWZ-S639FB 16GB Drag & Drop MP4 Video Player with FM Tuner - Black
Sony Walkman NWZ-S639FB 16GB Drag & Drop MP4 Video Player with FM Tuner - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A sound investment., 9 Aug 2009
Purchased this to replace a Sansa Fuze, which refused to play at the correct speed (see review).

You want an excellent MP3 player for a reasonable price - get this. For the price, audibly it knocks the headphones off a similarly priced iPod and gives much more storage and better battery life. I generally listen to high bitrate MP3s and the sound from the S639 is crisp and dynamic. There are various audio preferences that can be tweaked in the player, but apart from the equalizer, I didn't find them useful in altering the sound favourably. The VPT surround option is meant to recreate various environments (live, club, arena, etc.), but I found my music to sound over-processed and artificial. The equalizer is more useful, with several presets and, better still, the option to set your own preference. In fact, it's possible to save two custom preferences and you can really add muscle to the sound using the 'clear bass' facility, if that's your thing. The bundled earphones are more than adequate and much better than the cheapo offerings usually included with an MP3 player. I tried my Grado SR80s and the sound was improved again, but the included 'phones will be fine for most.

There are a couple of features that this player lacks over similar players, however. There's no sleep timer facility, no support for gapless playback (unless you use WAV), no support for FLAC or other lossless audio and no ability to record from radio or externally. Though, these are all minor points and, unless you really need them, will not be missed.

The screen is crisp and clear and, for its size, displays a vibrant image. Video transfer is as easy as music transfer and BBC iPlayer is supported. The S639 is small, light and easy to use, being very easy to transfer music/videos to - plug in and drag 'n' drop. An excellent media player.

Sansa Fuze 8gb MP3 Player Black
Sansa Fuze 8gb MP3 Player Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast Fuze - my player is a little too speedy for me., 30 July 2009
Very recently purchased a Fuze, based on excellent reviews I found on the web. An excellent little player for the money, but I've found a serious shortcoming - this player refuses to play at the correct speed. I manually synced the Fuze to a CD player (just comparing the audio difference/quality), both playing the same track (and carefully matching the beat with a little pause button dancing!), one earphone from the Fuze and one from the CD player; the Fuze marginally slipped ahead, becoming more noticeable as the track wore on. Just to be sure, I tried again and the Fuze marginally slipped ahead again. I grabbed my old Creative Nomad Jukebox harddrive player, did the same test with the CD player and it was synced as close as you'd ever want. I grabbed an iPod Nano, once again synced the Fuze audio with the CD audio and the Nano stuck with the speed of the CD player. I tried my old Lexar flash MP3 player and it played in time with the CD. What's going on with the Fuze?

I'm on firmware V02.02.26F. Out of curiosity I installed an older firmware to try again. V02.01.17 was exactly the same. It's not way off, but it's off. I'm no expert, but is it not easy to give the Fuze some firmware to make it play at the right speed? The Nano can do it! I didn't want an iPod...but it plays at the right speed! I have my MP3s as LAME V0 VBR files at 44.1kHz. I tried a FLAC file - fast, just like MP3. I tried a 320 CBR MP3 - same again. 128 WMA - same. It's just slightly fast every time. I resampled a 44.1 MP3 to 48kHz, but it made no difference. I've reformatted, re-flashed, done all the 're' things you can think of, but no difference.

OK, my tests are hardly scientific (I didn't create sine waves or play it through an oscilloscope!), but they're real world and that's where I want to use the Fuze. Maybe there are lots of variables here...the CD players aren't 100% accurate, the MP3 files are possibly corrupt, but either the Fuze is 100% accurate and my CD players, PC and music files are off...or the Fuze is at fault. I used a couple of CD players, different hardware and software MP3 players, different tracks from different encoders in different formats and the results were the same - fast Fuze. It's not like it's really noticeable to the casual listener listening to the Fuze alone, but do what I did, compare the Fuze against something else playing the same track at the same time. Hear the difference? A cheap as chips MP3 player can stick to the correct speed (or as close as makes no difference), but not my Fuze.

Do I have a duff player, or is there a known issue that Sansa will be putting right?

All in all - it's good value; has good sound reproduction and great format support; it's easy to use and a perfect size. Also, the speed problem isn't really noticeable when simply playing it as is and, therefore, probably won't matter to the casual user. That said, if you like things to be 'just so' or need to have your music at the correct speed, you might want to consider other options. Then again, I might just have a rare dud. Three stars, all things considered, but very irritating, at least for me, speed problem.

I've contacted Sansa and I've seen various postings with regard to speed issues on the Fuze, so it seems it's not just me. I look forward to Sansa's reply.

Update: So, Sansa (finally!) saw fit to reply. There was no apology for the delay and the reply simply referred me to contact their OEM department. Useless; referring me to another department isn't helpful. Why didn't their customer service site refer me to this department in the first place? Why didn't the guy who replied to me not automatically pass my details to this department and let them take over? Poor show. On the upside, I contacted Amazon with my findings, there was a reply from them within hours asking me if I'd like a refund or replacement Fuze. Of course, I chose the refund and got myself a nice Sony S639 (also from Amazon. Check my review.). I did the same tests as before and it's perfectly in sync with everything and sounds cracking to boot. Sorted. Great service from Amazon and sans customer service from Sansa.

Professor Layton and The Curious Village (Nintendo DS)
Professor Layton and The Curious Village (Nintendo DS)
Offered by APE-GAMES

4.0 out of 5 stars I will not be outwitted by a DS!, 12 Feb 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Charming, entertaining and, if you're into puzzle games infuriatingly addictive! This title has received many glowing reviews and I echo their sentiments. If you like puzzle books, have a stubborn streak in you and hate to be defeated, you're bound to like this game. If not, you'll play this and very quickly throw your DS in the bin!

Some of the puzzles are a little tricky and a little 'quirky', in that you have to 'get' the meaning in order to proceed in the right direction to solve the puzzle. That said, there are many puzzles you'll probably get quite quickly, but without feeling it was all too easy and a few you'll just breeze through in a second. All in all, I think it's fairly well balanced. As I said, if you like puzzle books or IQ type tests, you'll like this and you may even recognise a few of the tests as being similar to ones you've encountered before.

If I had to criticise, it would be to say that some of the puzzles repeat themselves as you progress and you will meet the same puzzle a few times, albeit presented slightly differently. If you're stuck, hints are offered, though you have to 'buy' them using coins you find scattered throughout the game. These coins are hidden and you'll probably end up tapping every inch of the screen in order to locate the little blighters! Inevitably (but thankfully!) there are websites with all the solutions to all the problems, so you might find yourself sneaking a peek...just this once, of course!

As for the whole premise of 'the Curious Village', the mystery story that unfolds will entertain children and add another engaging dimension to the game, but adults will probably be simply content to move on to the next puzzle. Still, it's a nice touch and well presented. Progressing through the mystery unlocks other elements and puzzles and it's also possible to download further puzzles, so the game continues to delight and infuriate, even after you've completed the main mission.

Eden Lake [DVD]
Eden Lake [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Fassbender
Offered by TwoRedSevens

2.0 out of 5 stars One for the Daily Mail readers., 3 Feb 2009
This review is from: Eden Lake [DVD] (DVD)
Nice, middle-class couple randomly terrorised by a gang of young, teenage thugs. Descends into violence, mindless violence, survival violence and finally 'we look after our own' self-justified violence. End. That's about it.

I agree that it is a tough watch and certainly the violence is gruesome and fairly unremitting, but I just didn't think it was this great social commentary that several reviews have suggested. Yes, there are touches of 'it could happen to you' and I'm sure most of us can relate to some of the situations depicted in the film, but it seemed to me that the filmmakers had taken several newspaper-headline-type, random thug crimes and created one enormous, blood-soaked ASBO of a feature. I think it pushed its central theme just a little too far for my liking, to the point that it was just wantonly unpleasant for the sake of it. I didn't get a sense of being enlightened in any way, or gleaning a deeper meaning. Of course, maybe 'Eden Lake' is all about utter nihilism, despair and futility? If so, five stars. But, if it's trying to be a little more socially-minded, trying to play devil's advocate and provoke some debate, I think less might have been more in this instance.

Don't get me wrong, it's a well screwed together piece with a strong cast. The gang ringleader is nauseous and well portrayed and the rest of the kids believably portray the slightly uncomfortable sheep trying to follow the leader and fit in. Just like many gangs. And the nice, middle-class couple are...well, a nice, middle-class couple. You can feel them being pushed into wincingly uncomfortable territory by the gang and the sense of angst in their struggle in deciding whether to try and reason with these kids, or fight fire with fire is convincingly conveyed. However, I found some of the actions of Kelly Reilly as Jenny a little hard to fathom, especially at the end. Do you really think those people, at that house, are going to help you out, once they realise who's involved?! Of course, the film had to have her end up there again, but it all felt a little too contrived for my liking. I also couldn't identify with the really claustrophobic feeling of the setting and that was exacerbated by the notion at the film's end of 'looking after our own'. It got to the pitch that I felt there's absolutely nothing these people won't do to do whatever it takes. It's like one of those 'everybody's in on it' moments beloved of many horror films. Of course, there are utterly malicious, desperate people out there, but, as I mentioned above, all in all it just seemed like watching several, self-fulfillingly grim, Daily Mail headlines merged together and exploded to a shockingly horrible degree.

Certainly, the film ticked all the boxes for being grim and relentless, but the brushstrokes were too broad for it to be considered a thought-provoking piece on 'hoodie culture'. Worth watching once, but would you want to watch it again?
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2009 1:37 PM BST

Mum And Dad [2008] [DVD]
Mum And Dad [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dido Miles
Offered by TwoRedSevens

4.0 out of 5 stars Make daddy happy!, 3 Feb 2009
This review is from: Mum And Dad [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
What's going on behind the curtains of that ordinary looking house you pass every day? That's the question you'll be asking yourself, after watching this tightly made shocker.

Yes, we've seen this sort of thing before - the mundane façade hiding unspeakable horrors - but 'Mum & Dad' is more than just going through the motions of that premise. The lead characters (essentially all the cast) put in solid acting and the shoestring budget is made to go such a long way, this cannot be considered 'just another low-budget slasher flick'. There are some really quite inventive shocker pieces, some disgusting interactions with eviscerated organs, surreal humour and enough space for your imagination to ponder, 'is that what I think it is?' The Christmas scene will probably go down in horror lore as being an all-time classic, if only for the macabre Christmas tree abomination. Yes, truly horrendous, but gruesomely well devised. It'll have you squirming with disgust and delight. Imagine Christmas 'round at Fred and Rose West's. A festive collapse. I don't want to give too much away, but I'll say this much, 'lung candle'.

If I had to offer criticism, it would be that the ending could maybe have been handled a little better. Maybe a little less rushed in feeling, but this is really a minor grumble to a well executed (pun intended!) suburban horror. All in all, a grimy little classic!

The extra features are also worthwhile, especially the 'making of', which shows just how much you can do with so little and the commentary which fills in some of the little gaps, adding further breadth and depth to what's being depicted. There are also a few of the director's early shorts; these in much the same (ahem) vein as the feature.

Steel Trap [DVD]
Steel Trap [DVD]
Dvd ~ Georgia Mackenzie
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Let's just say the quality of the film rhymes with 'trap'., 21 Jan 2009
This review is from: Steel Trap [DVD] (DVD)
Really, not very good. Hard to generate any kind of empathy or sympathy with the characters, to the point that you just wish the killer would quickly despatch them all, get it over and done with so you can go do something much less irritating than watching this film. Talking of the killer; what a walking cliché of the genre. Mask wearing, mute and never in much of a hurry to get anywhere. Also, performs the old 'appear and disappear as if by magic' trick beloved of stalker films.

The script is weak at best and mainly consists of the characters sniping at each other with feeble, childish put-downs. This only adds to the irritation you feel for them. I'm not sure what they spent the props budget on, but it wasn't on props. Check out an iPod (thinly) disguised as some kind of tracking device! OK, so maybe you're not that concerned with quality props, great character development and a fizzy script and you just want a bit of mindless slasher thrill...well, don't look here. It's like something from a made for TV movie. Yes, sometimes less is more, but here, less is most definitely less. Check out 'Eden Lake' for some uncomfortable slasher moments, or 'Mum & Dad' for some really gruesome kicks. 'Steel Trap' may have had a limited budget, but 'Mum & Dad' was made for peanuts and totally eclipses it in every way.

There is, of course, a twist in the tail of 'Steel Trap'. I say 'of course', because you're already looking for it after a matter of minutes, once you realise the tired style, weak direction and general lacklustre nature of the film.

Also included is a 'making of' extra feature and it's as amateurish as the main feature, though some interviews were unintentionally funny and when you see the quality of the crew, you know why 'Steel Trap' is the way it is.