Profile for Chris > Reviews

Content by Chris

Chris

LiteFuze LT-1000 1000-Watt Step Up/Down 110-120V/220-240V Voltage Converter Transformer with UK & EU Detachable Cord

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, 18 Mar 2014
I use it with a 550W KitchenAid mixer and Brother sewing machine from the US (not at the same time). Both appliances work perfectly fine.

Aten 2 Port USB HDMI KVM Switch - Black
Aten 2 Port USB HDMI KVM Switch - Black
Price: 52.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for me now, 10 Mar 2014
I have a 1920x1080 Samsung monitor. I bought the KVM to switch between a PC and MacBook Pro. The PC has a discrete NVIDIA card and it works just fine, no problems there. However when connected to the MacBook, there are green pixels running around the screen. Even more visible when there is a darker window on screen. Due to this, it is unusable for me. I tried various HDMI cables (even very short ones) etc., no luck. Unfortunately I tried too hard to make it work and my return window has expired. :-(((

So one piece of advice: If you have a MacBook, try it at your risk. Otherwise it may work for you just fine.

*Update*

It turned out that my problems with MacBook were due to a questionable mini DP dongle. I got a new mini DP dongle and all the problems have disappeared. Apparently the HDMI connector from the KVM didn't fit very well in the old dongle. I am a happy user now. And you can get the mini DP dongles reasonably cheap on Amazon.

HP Officejet 4620 e All-In-One Printer
HP Officejet 4620 e All-In-One Printer
Offered by TAB Retail LTD
Price: 79.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but slooow, 4 Sep 2013
I bought this printer at local TESCO, because it had the same price as Amazon.

It's working good in my home office setup. It works seamlessly with my Mac and with Linux too. It uses WiFi, so I can put the printer anywhere I want and it's not limited by cables - it does not have to be next to computer or USB socket. WiFi is also very convenient if my wife wants to print something, she does not have to come by and hook up the printer to her computer, she can print from anywhere. I have not tried AirPrint yet, but it's good to have it in case I need to print something from my iPod.

I've been using it lightly for two months and printed a few dozen of pages and it hasn't run out of the ink that came with the printer yet.

I've also scanned a few documents. The printer can serve as a flatbed scanner where you put the documents on the glass page by page (good option for copying a passport), or you can put all pages on the top shelf and it will suck them in automatically to scan them.

One thing I am missing is duplex printing. Unfortunately this printer does not support duplex printing, so if you want to print something on both sides of paper, you will have to print odd pages first, then carefully insert them back to the printer to print even pages.

The other thing which is sometimes annoying is that it is really, really slow. Both printing and scanning are super slow. This reminds me of the old days of dot matrix printers where you would have to wait several minutes to print a single page. Yes - it takes minutes to print a single color page from a scanned PDF!

Summary:

Pros:
* Good price
* WiFi
* Just works

Cons:
* Very, very slow
* Lacks duplex printing