Profile for Andy Raffan > Reviews

Content by Andy Raffan

Andy Raffan (Glasgow, Scotland)

AV USB Video Cable For Apple iPad iPod Touch iPhone 3GS 3g 4 4g
AV USB Video Cable For Apple iPad iPod Touch iPhone 3GS 3g 4 4g
Offered by TECHNOPRO
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price & good quality picture, 12 Mar 2012
Bought this cable as a cost effective way of watching iPlayer, YouTube etc from my iPad into my TV rather than buying Apple's AV connector at more than twice the price. The cable works absolutely fine and the picture and sound quality are good (although not HD quality which was not what I expected anyway). Have already used it to watch a few progammes streamed into the TV, and its great to be able to do that rather than sit watching them on a 10 inch screen. All in all a good product that does exactly what it says on the tin - and delivered within a few days too!!

Team America: World Police [DVD]
Team America: World Police [DVD]
Dvd ~ Trey Parker
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 3.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed my ass off!!, 24 May 2005
I'm afraid if you dont laugh hugely at this movie then there is no hope for you. It rips right into the Hollywood blockbuster mentality and delivers a hilariously funny film which very rarely misses its targets - unlike the members of Team America! There's more than enough here for anyone with even a hint of a sense of humour, as well as a desire to see the major monuments and tourist attractions of the world blown to bits. What made the movie even funnier for me was the songs (what? you say!) - yep, the songs were absolutely fantastic parodies and even the stoniest hearts amongst you will feel a wee bit of sadness during Kim Jong Ils rendition of "I'm so ronery". As for the look of the film - think Thunderbirds with swearing and much better explosions and effects and you've just about got it - the guys involved in making this obviously went all out to make it look and sound great, and the DVD features which delve into the 'making of' side illustrate the time and effort the crew put into the look and effects of the film. And of course they made the puppets have sex!! My advice - get it, grab some beers and popcorn and laugh yourself stupid. Remember, sometimes believing is all we have.

The Secret History
The Secret History
by Donna Tartt
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, beautifully written, 20 July 2002
This review is from: The Secret History (Paperback)
Having just finished this today I wanted to share how much I enjoyed this wonderfully written novel. Tartts erudition absolutely leapt out of this novel so many times, yet her skill in characterisation and control of the plot meant this was the icing on the cake rather than something to be intimidated by. Like other reviewers on this page I too felt absolutely engulfed in the setting and atmosphere of the Vermont location. The narrator character, Richard, was superbly drawn and through him Donna Tartt was willing to take the time ( as not a lot of contemporary authors do with half an eye on a potential screenplay ) and literary effort to develop situations, characters and motivations which were a joy to read and be swept along with. Truly I believe there are many more layers within this great novel to be discovered in future re-reading, which I am already looking forward to. A novel about remorse and the consequences of terrible actions - it will, as it did me, leave you deeply moved by the power of great writing.

One Fine Day In The Middle Of The Night
One Fine Day In The Middle Of The Night
by Christopher Brookmyre
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, average delivery, nice rocket launchers!, 11 Sep 2000
Having read two of Brookmyres previous novels ( Not The End of the World & Country of the Blind ) I approached this one with a mixture of optimism and caution. As it turned out I was right to. If you enjoy absolutely jet black humour mixed in with quick, cinematic style plots then this is the man for you. Watch out however for the overly laboured metaphors & Brookmyre using the characters to vent his personal political rants. I enjoy a good political rant as much as the next person, but it has to be believable that the characters feel that way rather than them just being used as mouthpieces. Things do settle down a lot after the first third of the novel, and once the stage setting & characterisation are complete Brookmyre gets stuck in to an excellent send up of the Hollywood action movie. Along the way he fires off a few shotgun barrels of cynicism at the tourism industry and the Scottish education system - if you fire off enough rounds some of them are bound to hit! The middle third of the novel is certainly the strongest, as I felt he used a couple of dodgy plot devices to wrap things up quickly at the end. If you like your characters cynical and well-armed and your plots bizzare & twisted you wont go far wrong with this one. One final thought - why does Mr Brookmyre have such an extensive knowledge of military hardware?

Dark Hollow
Dark Hollow
by John Connolly

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing in light of other glowing recommendations., 4 Mar 2000
This review is from: Dark Hollow (Paperback)
Having read the reviews of this novel on Amazon as well as the reviews of his first novel I was expecting a cracking read. I'm afraid I was disappointed in the end. Whilst I liked the Parker character I began to find his endless grieving over the events of the first novel ever more tiresome as the book progressed. I felt there was little actual new plot and when I reached the conclusion my reaction was 'Well, was that it?'. I had hoped that a gripping and interesting story would reveal itself, but it never did. Just an average serial killer plot padded out with the Parker character trying to come to terms with his earlier loss. Bright spots were the Angel and Luis characters, gay hit-men with hearts of gold. Nice touch, more of them next time and less maudlin insight please.