Profile for wiccanelf > Reviews

wiccanelf

How To Crochet:  A Complete Guide for Absolute Beginners
How To Crochet: A Complete Guide for Absolute Beginners

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 7 April 2014
Well written with excellent stitch illustrations and pictures; I have downloaded a few crochet books of late and I find this by far the most useful. Honestly, I have found the easy availability of internet tutorials to be the most help in learning to crochet but I am the sort of person who likes manuals and this is one of the best in my opinion - clear, concise and written with warmth and enthusiasm. Highly recommended.

The Eleventh Doctor: a critical ramble through Matt Smith's tenure in Doctor Who

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 10 Feb 2014
Not an episode guide but the author's thoughts on my favourite Doctor episode by episode, and much more besides. I love Who with a passion bordering on the obsessive and I love anything factual about the show - this book was especially great for me because not only does the author write with great depth and insight, he plainly has as much affection and respect for Doctor Who as I do. His opinions are interesting, thought provoking and above all honestly critical and he's made me look again at the episodes I love from a new perspective. Highly recommended.

Fifty Years in Time and Space: a Short History of Doctor Who
Fifty Years in Time and Space: a Short History of Doctor Who
by Frank Danes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 18 Aug 2013
Really interesting, informative book - a good overview of the history of Who and written in a clear, concise, witty style which I really enjoyed. It told me a lot which I didn't know and I found the whole thing fascinating - I got a clear, linear sense of the history of the show itself and how it's changed within the context of the last fifty - fifty! - years. I loved the caricatures of one and eleven,and of course Sexy herself, on the front cover and I was thrilled when opening the book to find it had been signed by the author - unexpected and an absolute bonus. Recommended.

A Song of Ice and Fire (5) - A Dance With Dragons: Book 5
A Song of Ice and Fire (5) - A Dance With Dragons: Book 5

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrible formatting...., 8 Aug 2011
I don't usually review books because obviously a great deal is due solely to opinion and taste. For the record, I enjoyed ADWD a lot, it was good to catch up with some favourite characters. The main reason I'm writing though is to comment on the incredibly poor formatting on the Kindle - much of the dialogue completely ignores grammatical convention, to the point that at times it's difficult to tell who has said what. I've got quite a few books on Kindle now and I'm quite used to the oddities that sometimes occur in this respect, however this is the first time I've been really annoyed and disappointed by what I've downloaded. The book was expensive and much anticipated and this sheer lunacy completely spoiled my reading experience; I wish now I'd got the thing in hardback.

An email to Amazon resulted in a request to send back more information detailing the location of the issues - believe me, the problem occurs right throughout the whole edition and I would be there all day. As I said, good book, just don't bother getting it on Kindle unless you like becoming engrossed in the plot and then having to stop and think, "Hang on, what did he/she just say??? That's completely out of character....huh??...oh, bloody Kindle...!"