Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now
Profile for powelb > Reviews

Content by powelb

powelb (UK)

Contech ScareCrow Motion Activated Animal Deterrent
Contech ScareCrow Motion Activated Animal Deterrent

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - Won't work with wrong hose connector, 20 April 2013
To repeat what others have said: it won't work if you have the sort of connector on your hose that stops the water when you take the hose attachment off. Mine said 'Aqua Stop' on the side. When I first set up the ScareCrow I just got a dribble of water out of it and was about to send it back, or buy an expensive value in case my tap pressure was too high. But I read through more reviews and spotted the note about the connector. I changed it for a normal connector and all is well - it works perfectly! Now I need to wait to see what the cats think of it.

Cisco-Linksys Maximum Performance E4200 Dual-Band N Router
Cisco-Linksys Maximum Performance E4200 Dual-Band N Router

4.0 out of 5 stars Note this is 'cable' and not a 'BT' router, 16 Oct. 2011
I bought this not realising it was for people that have a 'cable' company supply their broadband, rather than a 'BT' or ADSL connection, where you connect to your broadband via a phone socket. Just a warning for anyone else falling into the same trap.

So I've no idea what the actual thing is like. I gave it 4 stars because it annoys me when people give something one star because of a silly mistake and it unfairly brings down the average rating....

The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
by William Sears

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive advice that makes sense, 17 Nov. 2010
What a fantastic book! I found the advice in this book very sensitive. I have always been a firm believer in responding to the needs of your child promptly and lovingly, which this book promotes. Instead of seeing my baby as something to be trained, I have enjoyed empowering him to learn the skills of falling asleep without being fed to sleep in a gentle and kind manner without any tears. I am most definitely in the Sears camp of parenting and have found this book supports that approach.

The Breastfeeding Book: Everything You Need to Know about Nursing Your Child from Birth through Weaning
by Martha Sears

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic book by the Sears!, 17 Nov. 2010
I read this book when I was experiencing a few difficulties breastfeeding when my son was only seven weeks old. The advice was so sensible and sensitive. My baby is now six months old and I am planning to still be breastfeeding when he is one. I have found it an invaluable source of advice throughout the past months as it answers questions on positioning, diet, demand-feeding, allergies, winding etc. This is a "must-have" book for any new mother who is planning to breastfeed.

The Attachment Parenting Book (Sears Parenting Library)
The Attachment Parenting Book (Sears Parenting Library)
by William Sears

5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering parenting, 17 Nov. 2010
What a fantastic book! We purchased this book just before our baby was born because we felt the approach suited us. I now have an extremely happy six month old son, who has not been subjected to any training at all. After following the advice in this book, I feel I know my son extremely well and I have been able to enjoy bonding with him from day one. The book sensibly advocates responding sensitively to your young baby's needs, there is no "crying it out" or routines or clock watching. The approach is extremely empowering, based on the parents being the expert on their baby. I have now purchased several books by Dr William Sears and I certainly consider myself to be an attached parent.

The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
by Gina Ford

1.0 out of 5 stars Cruel parenting, 17 Nov. 2010
After reading this, I couldn't bring myself to follow any of the advice in this book and found this approach to be cruel. I have a six month old son who could only fall asleep if he was being breastfed, he now falls asleep on his own and we have had no tears at all. I would strongly recommend getting The No-Cry Sleep Solution, Elizabeth Pantley. I strongly believe that, as the sleep association had been caused by me, I should be the one to bear the pain to break the association, not my baby. Also the ideas on demand feeding are proven to be wrong by many breastfeeding experts, in fact I can't think of any breastfeeding expert who does not advocate demand feeding. It is so important to feed your baby when they need it, as they work so closely with their mother to ensure milk supply and production is meeting their needs. I feel lucky, that as an adult, I am able to sleep, feed and gain comfort whenever I need it and am not subjected to someone checking I am dry and fed before leaving me alone to fall asleep to the sound of my own crying and feelings of anxiety and confusion.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2011 6:55 AM GMT