Profile for michaeljtox > Reviews

Californication - Season 3
Californication - Season 3
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun :-), 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Californication - Season 3 (DVD)
I wish I had seen these series when they came out. Excellent characters, cleverly scripted and easy to become addicted.

Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry
Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry
by Douglas A. Skoog

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad addition to an Analytical Chemists required reading list., 2 Dec. 2013
I bought this book along with some others to provide me with some theory to assist practical knowledge I've gained through my career on various analysis and instrumentation, it was cheap and full of content that I find useful as reading and a reference.

Instrumental Methods of Analysis
Instrumental Methods of Analysis
by Willard

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper reprint but still very useful content, lots of sections and all very informative., 2 Dec. 2013
I have a copy of this book in my lab at work and it is an older copy of the same version, the print is much thicker higher quality print, the cover is different too but it is the same version. So this copy here is much thinner paper and is pretty evident upon purchase but too be fair it was very cheap and it's content is still the same and is most excellent. Very useful for an analytical lab and providing background to uni students where necessary on analytical instrumentation their not akin too. Bought several analytical chemistry books at the same time, this was definitely the best.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ3EB-T Compact Camera - Brown (16.1MP, 10x Optical Zoom with Leica DC Lens, 25mm Wide Angle Lens, HD Video Recording) 2.7 inch LCD
Offered by uk-dealz

4.0 out of 5 stars Good lightweight compact, slim and sleek design, fairly priced Lumix super zoom with Leica lens, 26 May 2013
I wanted a long travel zoom (I know 10 x is not a long zoom but I wanted this model of Lumix specifically SZ1 or SZ3 - the SZ1 had very good reviews on Amazon and I could hardly see a difference between the two apart from slight appearance modifications, so my purchase got brought forward as Amazon dropped this to under £100 and it was therefore cheaper than it's predecessor. Firstly brown was not an option with the SZ1 and it is cool in colour and design, it is sleek, compact and stylish and it's controls are user friendly.

My likes are: This model though comparatively cheap comes with a Leica lens! It takes very good photos outside in sunny blue sky weather, the colours produced are vibrant and rich. There are a plethora of scene modes and also the useful auto intelligent mode allowing both the budding amateur, the enthusiast and the non photographer to snap happy. The LCD display is bright and performs well in sunny weather compared to my last digital camera. As I mentioned it is sleek compact and light.

My dislikes are: I now see why comparison sites say '10 x' is a poor zoom for a travel zoom camera (but to be fair to Lumix, this camera is in their super-zoom range not travel zoom). I tested the camera against a Nikon s6300, the only noticeable difference showed up in the picture quality in low light conditions, the SZ3 definitely did struggle somewhat but this is fair as now having read more and realised the CMOS sensor in the Nikon would always out perform the CCD sensor in the SZ3 in low lighting. The zoom factor for me is not an issue as '10 x' is still ideal and an upgrade from what I had and if you're looking to increase your zoom beyond this in the Lumix range, prepare to increase your spend. My only real dislike was the notable difference in sensor quality when the cameras are similarly priced but the Nikon is heavier and bulkier and which goes against my likes of the SZ3 which is ideally weighted and sized as a compact.

So in short if your looking to buy into the Lumix range as I was this camera is fairly priced around the hundred mark, with lots of modes and user friendly options to experiment with incl. 'through glass scene mode' and 'starry sky mode' which allows the shutter to stay open for longer.
If your looking at upgrading and you are still not sure as to what you want, make sure you know what you are buying the camera for, many of the Lumix range also contain CMOS censors and so if you are shooting in low light make sure you pick the right camera for you and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2014 8:02 AM BST

The Simpsons - Season 9 (Ltd Edition 'Lisa' head)  [DVD]
The Simpsons - Season 9 (Ltd Edition 'Lisa' head) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dan Castellaneta
Offered by lightningdvd

5.0 out of 5 stars still great fun to chill out to...., 26 May 2013
I buy these DVD box sets when they fall below £10 on Amazon, I originally placed all of the series in my basket (select save for later) then if like me you check your basket regularly, the basket changes will update you on price changes - they normally retail with Amazon and elsewhere for approx. £12-25 but on Amazon they tend to put one or two on at promotional prices (if you check your basket everyday you will notice Amazon adjust their prices a lot if not just by pennies! But it can be hard to find them beat for price.
So the series itself excellent value for just over £8 - I'm still not tired of them and they are great to watch over dinner.