Profile for S.M.Barker > Reviews

The Dream Dealer
by Marita Phillips
Price: 4.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Most captivating class-reader in 30 years., 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Dream Dealer (Paperback)
I am a teacher and someone gave me a copy of "The Dream Dealer". I tried it out on some 11/12 year olds and they absolutely adored it. However, I had a fairly bright and advanced group of 9 year olds as my class this year and, as we had finished all our usual class-readers, I decided to give it a go with them. It was a roaring success and I almost had to fight to get the books in at the end of the reading sessions. I didn't dare leave them in their desks as I knew that several of them would read to the end and spoil the story for the others.
They loved Finn and were totally engrossed and excited when the children were lured towards the Dream Dealer's van to have their souls stolen. One child, who just happened to be the girl of a non-identical pair of twins, was so absorbed that, while we were reading the bit where Finn finally decided that he might try an ice-dream, she actually shouted out, "Don't Finn, don't!" I've never known such concentration and captivation in a story in all my 30 years of reading stories with children.
It also stimulated much class discussion. It gave us the opportunity to talk about Mother Nature - the power of nature and the balance within it and importance of caring for our environment. We talked about 'the soul' and what we thought it was. We touched on playground bullying and family values. We talked about the importance of being honest and open. The book was an invaluable source of discussion topics and even encouraged my less able pupils to read and join in with class debate. I hope there's a sequel on the way.