Profile for Tina X > Reviews

The Devil's Tune
The Devil's Tune
by Iain Duncan Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars LUDICROUS GARBAGE, 17 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Devil's Tune (Hardcover)
Putting my prejudice against this nasty man who targets the disabled aside, I read this trash with an open mind. Or at least I tried to. In the end I had to stop since I could not stop laughing at the "author"'s apparent lack of ability to function on a human level as expressed through his characters. The guy is a heartless robot and it shows in his writing. I have never read anything this bad and suspect i never will.
I can only hope.
The book now resides in my works lavatory where i have pinned a notice asking for reviews. Eighteen have accumulated here as the book has become a joke amongst my colleagues! Most have described it in frightful terms, one brave soul did reach the end but tearfully regrets doing so.
Need I say more? There is a reason this bombed, and not just because IDS is hated because of his self-righteous, upwardly mobile Tory ethos and the way he has sneered at and attacked the disabled.
No, it is for a much simpler reason: the bloke cannot write.
End of story.

Sorry
Sorry
Offered by AbundaTrade

5.0 out of 5 stars AS SMASHING AS PUMPKINS!!!, 10 July 2012
This review is from: Sorry (Audio CD)
It's a crying shame that somehow, someway, 90s alternative rock band Catherine got lost in the tide whilst their friends in Smashing Pumpkins (whom i largely adore) went on to insterstellar success. Because this album is pretty damn hot, almost the equal of Gish at least and someway towards as good as the mighty Siamese Dream. For me, three songs in particular stand out as classics - "Funny Bunny" is classic shoegaze pop with gnarly guitars and quirky arrangements making for a fantastic cute little song. "Every Christian Lion Hearted Man Will Show You" - a cover of the beautifully trippy Bee Gees (!) song - reins in the original's spaciness a little but replaces it with some horny Glitteresque (!!) sleaze. It also brings to mind bands like Lake Trout and Flaming Lips but with perhaps a bit more rock attitood. Which also works a treat on "Saint", perhaps the most lively song on the album, which unashamedly replicates that Smashing Pumpkins rock baton and runs with it. Think "I Am One" from Gish is a pretty close comparison. The guitars don't cut and chunk with quite as much as Corgan/Iha's prowess but there ain't much in it. It still rocks and is perfect for cruising around on a Summer's day.
Here, I must admit to not being overly familiar with the other half of the album - yet - but for me these three songs alone justify bringing this CD into my life. And when I die, I pray the Lord will at least admit that Catherine should be allowed into Rock N' Roll Heaven....

Work, Work, Work
Work, Work, Work

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely old song, 19 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Work, Work, Work (MP3 Download)
I love this song from when i was a 15yo lad in 1989 listening to this on my grandma's record player. Not that i really knew what work was in them days hee hee!

Ty Peppa Pig Buddy 10"
Ty Peppa Pig Buddy 10"

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 23 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Ty Peppa Pig Buddy 10' (Toy)
Love it - my wife is a huge Peppa fan and I know it will be a much-loved gift for her at Christmas. Delivery prompt and well packed.

Bedtime Rhymes
Bedtime Rhymes
by Audrey Daly

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful, 4 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Bedtime Rhymes (Hardcover)
i had this as a child and bought it again recently - i am a 37 year old man but still love this beautiful collection of children's poetry and pictures. I am a songwriter and realised how much this book influenced and inspired me too!

Classics
Classics

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing band, 4 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Classics (Audio CD)
ABsolutely terrific band - Kory Clarke is a genius. If you like your punk rock loud, wild and sleazy this is for you! They should be massive but there you go - the now ubiquitous X-Factor conveyor belt of braindead mush is stupefying the kids and rock n roll as an art form seems pointless in the hands of idiots like Pete Doherty and Johnny Borrell. This is how it should be done - with conviction, and a swagger so cocky and sexually charged it would get your granny reaching for the KY...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2012 6:13 PM GMT

Die Pretty - Summertime
Die Pretty - Summertime

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing Pixies-style punk/pop track, 27 Aug. 2010
I guess it's a sign of the times that there is so much great underground music out there going unnoticed. And when it's as catchy as this it defies belief; I really can imagine this in the top ten. But the real masterstroke here is the fact that it achieves commerciality through that most difficult of mediums - noisy punk rock guitars, loud drums and sleazy Mary Chain-style vocals. The disparate references don't end there. Throw in a hefty dose of Nirvana; a generous helping of Breeders and Beach Boys too - and what you get is a delicious cocktail that is a pure summertime pop anthem with razorblades inside it!
I don't know who the hell "Die Pretty" are - sure I've heard the name somewhere, but it's a shame they haven't made some money out of this when there's so much bland muck in the charts.