Profile for Catherine Earnshaw > Reviews

Content by Catherine Earnshaw

Catherine Earnshaw

The Birthday Party (Pinter Plays)
The Birthday Party (Pinter Plays)
by Harold Pinter
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensationally Good, 18 Oct 2009
I had to read this play for my A level English lit. coursework, I wasn't expecting much as I hadn't seen any of Pinter's other plays and it sounds slightly dull. However after having read it in class with my classmates I see how wrong I was, a sensationally good play, with unbelievable characters that are yet so believable... then there's the inane chatter that fills most of the pages constantly causing me to stop and take stock of the importance of the majority of what I say. With dark wit throughout I sincerely hope I have the opportunity to see a live production of this near masterpiece.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
by John Boyne
Price: 5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written book., 7 Nov 2008
I knew that your not meant to know too much about this book before you begin it however it didn't stop me from trying to find out the story before I had read it. However it was when I saw one very strong review seriously rebuking me for trying to find out about the story that I decided to do as the review said and just to buy the book and read it. I wish I had done it sooner. Its truly a beautifully written book, my main advice to anyone wanting to read it is- stop desperately trying to find out what its about (if your anything like I was) just buy it and read it as it was written to be read.

I have handed my copy of this book onto a friend and I now have a small waiting list now appearing of people wanting to read it after my rave reviews of. 'It's Amazing! Read it!'

Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read., 31 Oct 2008
'A VAMPIRE romance, set at HIGH SCHOOL?' was my first reaction when my friend all but forced the book into my hands during her recommendation of it to me.

I was just about as reserved over reading this book as I would be over eating frog's legs. However when it came to mid-July and I was sitting alone in the house half way through the summer holiday I decided to put my pride aside and to give it a read. That was without a doubt the best decision I made this summer.

As I began the book I was ready for some reading that I could laugh at. However by the end of the first chapter I knew that this wasn't what I was going to get. I was extremely engaged and I moved swiftly onto the next chapter then the next then the next then the next then the book was taken off me by my mother because she felt I should go to bed because it was past 1.

This book is stunning it's truly a well written book that is inescapable and haunts you long after you've finished.

So this is defiantly a must read for all teenage girls and if you loved Harry potter all the more reason to read this. Why? well even if the plot sounds tenuous when you put it as a 'Vampire Love Story' the characterisation is excellent furthermore the 1st person narrative makes this book incredibly intimate and all the more personal. The only other problem I could find with this book is that it has American-English spellings and words in - but that is me being quite pedantic and can be easily overlooked.

A definite read. Particually for teenage girls.