Profile for Asmodeous > Reviews

Content by Asmodeous

Asmodeous (North Yorkshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas [DVD]
The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas [DVD]
Dvd ~ Asa Butterfield
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.97

2.0 out of 5 stars A Shocking Film in its oversimplification and inaccuracies - very uncomfortable viewing, 19 Aug 2012
I came to this film with an open mind having had it recommended to me but being a bit daunted by being 'entertained' by a film about the Holocaust. Whatever they did, I felt, they had to get it right...alas the events described were implausible although the sentiment must have been sincere. The friendship of the soldiers son and the Jewish boy was based on improbable set ups. That the Jewish boy could freely have a conversation with Bruno over the fence was absurd and that the young Bruno would no nothing of the war or Nazi regime was bordering on the ridulous and if I may make a serious point here - bordering on the offensive. This film is not a true reflection of the horror of the reality and despite good intentions falls seriously short of what the victims of this atrocity deserve. My wife however was touched and loved it and was affected deeply by this film. Rather than spoil it for her by objecting to its crassness I thought I would save it until later and in the meantime write this review to temper my disgust. Unbelievable, full of inaccuracies that other one star reviews (I am relieved to see others feel the same) explain better than me and less than the victims deserve.
I would give it one star but two is perhaps more fitting as despite it's many flaws it does at least cover an important subject that needs to be kept in the public consciousness .

Try Schindlers List instead.

A Dangerous Method [DVD]
A Dangerous Method [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley
Price: 7.47

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise - enjoyed it more than I thought I would, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: A Dangerous Method [DVD] (DVD)
A good film, which I enjoyed - I never knew Jung had such a promiscuous sex life! Complex themes perhaps superficially tackled for a mainstream audience but fitting in admirably as part of an unusual love story and emotionally engaging. Perhaps a bit weird for some tastes as the darkness and high brow themes might put some off as being unpleasant or pretentious to some, but I for one liked it. Very well acted, particularly by Keira Knightley, sensual, beautiful and intellectually stimulating providing a different side to the portrayal of Freud and Jung.

Don't Stand Me Down (The Director's Cut)
Don't Stand Me Down (The Director's Cut)
Offered by thelastresortofmusic
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hidden Classic that deserves to be reissued, 17 Jun 2012
This album is probably the one I have played more times than any other. Having just purchased the latest Dexys 2012 album I felt I had to remind folks about this album and celebrate it one more time. Unique, soulful, and it just grows on you with every listen. If you can get a copy you will be rewarded by repeated listens. An underrated classic.

The Grey [DVD]
The Grey [DVD]
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson
Price: 3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Liam is great but the film does not meet his standards and is a B Movie at best and ridiculous plotting wise, 9 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Grey [DVD] (DVD)
Starts GeForce great with an atmospheric narration by Liam, a well depicted air plane crash and then crap CGI/ taxidermy style wolves, ridiculous plotting and unrealistic situations make this film a 'b' movie at best and no more than this. Liam is fantastic and elevates the film considerably giving it three stars in my book. If it did not have him it would be two stars at best. someone out there give Liam a decent film and script. He is an excellent actor crying our for a major lead role. This film is a disappointment and I am relieved I got it rental rather than purchase it (I was close to losing fifteen quid, which would have been very upsetting). As for the ending -well it doesn't end as such and you are no nearer to a resolution than when the film started. Don't think I am spoling it for anyone by saying this but best that you are warned! Indeed with the initial premises sounding so exciting I am quite amazed that such little happens. The big battle with wolves does not take place. I believe this is because the Cgi was so inadequate that they were unable to pull it off without making the film even more ridiculous than it was. Very disappointing.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [DVD] [2011]
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Tom Hardy
Price: 3.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Wigs, Bland Pondering Direction and a litter full of period errors - if you can live with that then this is an ok film, 9 Jun 2012
The film deliberately tries to evoke the 1970s culture of films-which is an admirable thing except that this film is littered with period mistakes (check out the road system with Tony Blair inspired ramps and telephone boxes that are modern rehashes of the genuine article etc.). The film is pondering and fails to convey the tension of the story-indeed it is confused and un clear in the ttelling. As for the wigs- well type in Tinker Tailor wigs and you will find an assortment of websites mocking the atrocious wigs on display that distract from the film and make the attempts by the director for a 1970s film a joke. Other than this the acting is generally sound and it is based on a super book. Three stars at best - does not compare with the BBC series(which you will probably find cheaper and takes its time to accurately portray the story). In my view the wigs are such a put off I give it two stars.

One Day I'm Going to Soar
One Day I'm Going to Soar
Price: 8.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Dexys Are Back!, 7 Jun 2012
Dexys are back after an absence of over a quarter of a century - for die hard fans time has passed by very slowly...this album is a worthy follow up to a Don't Stand Me Down and just like this album it sounds deceptively simple and so, so at first but a couple of plays and then you just can't get the tunes out of your mind and then you crave the soulful, laid back, emotional intensity of the songs for repeat listening. There really isn't anything else like it out on the market at the moment and Dexys album fills an artistic, emotional void. Kevin bares his soul, warts and all and this honesty and purity is what makes the album so special. Personally I love all the Dexys albums and especially like the big brass and fast paced tunes - this album is not like Searching or Too Ray but has the mellow aspects of Don't Stand Me Down and at times I wanted Kevin to just let rip and give it some but this album is very controlled, very deliberate and each track has its place, tells its story and links together to create a masterpiece. Dexys get cracking on your next album and build on the creative highs attained here so as to make up for lost time. Keep it coming Kevin! Get another album sorted for 2013!

Drive [DVD]
Drive [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan Gosling
Price: 3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it but beware of the hype, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Drive [DVD] (DVD)
I liked watching this film and thought it was well made and well acted, however, the hype levitates it to be something more than the sum of its parts. As critics have said, the plot is basic, dialogue is minimal, it is overly stylistic to at times which makes it a bit unbeliveable. I know the director considers it a modern fairy tale in the Grimm tradition and in this light it is effective, but unsatisfying also as the plot is so one dimensional. In spite of this though I can't help give it four stars as this is a film that makes and impression and is one I imagine I will watch a few times as stylistically it is quite fascinating and Ryan Golsling and the lead actress are very watchable. The gore and violence however will put off many so beware as these moments are quite extreme and dwelt upon by the director.

.................................,..................

About eight months later I re watched this match and lo an behold I feel compelled to add a few extra comments. I had broadly forgotten about some of the details of the plot but this time I knew what I was letting myself in for. Second time round and I was amazed,touched and moved and ...I got it...I thought the film brilliant,clever and although all my above points are I think valid, this time round I think my four stars might be a bit closer to five. A film I look forward to watching and re watching every now and then in the years to come.

I look very much to the directors next work.

Warrior [DVD]
Warrior [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Hardy
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb film which fight fans will enjoy, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Warrior [DVD] (DVD)
A great film deserving four or maybe five stars-such is the quality of film making and acting. The story has been told before as in Rocky or most recently THe Fighter, however, this rises above them all in my view and is genuinely moving,tense,exciting and action packed with some great fight scenes that are extremely well choreographed and filmed. I would have liked to have seen more of the family life of the key actors as their family interactions were fascinating and brilliantly acted. Another area that stood out was the lack of blood. Without sounding bloodthirsty, those of us who have watched and enjoyed UFC are aware that in the blood can flow sometimes. In this film the gore is kept in check. Perhaps this is because the film is an advocate of mixed martial arts and does not wish to detract from the sport or play into the hands of those who consider the sport to be barbaric. For me , more blood would have been more authentic and made the sheer drama even more riveting. The film in some ways had too big a story to tell and the Sparta tournament felt somewhat condensed- not a fault of the filmakers but, wow, if Hbo made this material into a thirteen parter then what a fine film experience it would be! However I award it five stars as the sheer experience of watching this film had me on the edge of my seat and created a sense of awe and excitement I haven't felt for a while watching films and the acting is excellent and very believable. Fight fans and alpha males will love it and want to watch it again and again. There are great extras on the DVD and especially blue ray which are worth noting. This film is a class act and a worthy addition to the genre. In my view possibly the best fight film out there,despite the inevitable clichés. Fight fans will almost certainly like it. My number one film of 2011 and so far, 2012.

Vax V-124A Dual V Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer
Vax V-124A Dual V Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer
Price: 149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a miracle - our carpets are clean again!, 14 Feb 2012
I merely wish to add to the rave reviews here and say that this carpet cleaner exceeded our wildest expectations and has performed miracles-our carpets were in a right state with a variety of stains caused by pets,people,kids etc.that had us thinking about replacing them as we just had some marks we could not remove. This carpet cleaner is thus a bit of a money saver in that we now have beautifully clean and pleasant smelling ( using the ultra cleaning fluid) carpets that look brand new. The attachments allowed us also to clean chairs and sofas. We are very impressed with the results. We notice a poor review here and there in which some reviewers were less impressed. All we can add to the mix is that if our carpets could be cleaned so incredibly then this machine would likely keep 99.9 per cent of people happy. The best carpet cleaner on the market?in our eyes we could not imagine a better one!

PS we have no connections with the company, we are just amazed.

Billy Miske: The St. Paul Thunderbolt
Billy Miske: The St. Paul Thunderbolt
by Clay Moyle
Price: 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for boxing fans -BIlly MIske is an inspirational man, 18 Jan 2012
The reviewer Rowley (below) has summed the book perfectly. This really is a book for boxing fans and is very well told, accurate, detailed and well researched. Note that the book focuses specifically on BIlly MIske's boxing record rather than stand as a biography covering his life and past times/family etc. fights are recalled one after the other in parts and unless you are fascinated by the period or the man it may not appeal to the general reader. However for those interested specifically in the boxing record and boxing related journey as undertaken by BIlly MIske this is a first rate book. A beautiful hard back copy with excellent photos including one of jack Dempsey that I had not seen before. BIlly MIske comes across a a man of integrity and a real gentlemean and I was deeply moved by how obviously he loved his family. He was brave beyond belief and appears to have been a man who everyone would have been proud to have known. He is the personification of fighting spirit. His physique is also worth commenting upon. Though to later be plagued by Brights DIsease his physique was as the pictures show, quite phenomenal and more than any fighter of the 20s he has the look of a modern athelete . A great book about a truly inspirational man.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17