Profile for Asmodeous > Reviews

Content by Asmodeous

Asmodeous (North Yorkshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Ufc Best of 2013 [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Ufc Best of 2013 [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Compilation from the UFC containing a great selection of exciting, jaw dropping fights!, 5 Jun. 2014
This is a great Blu Ray compilation containing a superb selection of the best fights from the UFC in 2013.

For fans in the UK impatient to get the best of disk (which at the time of writing is still not released over here) I recommend the imported version if you have a Blu Ray capable of playing the disk (my Panasonic only cost me about £70 a couple of years ago so hopefully most Blu Ray players are now affordable and Multi region for fans who want better access to top rated Blu Ray disks - that seem to be delayed or never make their way to a UK approved format across the Atlantic).

I think the range of fights on the disk are generally spot on. For some fans there will always be a favourite event missing but this selection does a pretty good job of things in my view but the review of the year is full of spoilers for those who are unsure as to who won an event or can't remember the result so I suggest you watch the titled bonus matches first and then take a look at the review or it may infuriate.

Personally I would like more behind the scenes features and perhaps a discussion by experts and commentators on their highlights and predictions for the future. I would also have liked to have had the interviews after the events and the mid round insight into working the corners during fights which are ceremoniously cut from the best of package.

So in general there is still room for improvement and many fans will still be wanting for more but to be fair to the UFC you are not going to find a better, more action packed selection of fights (of any martial arts discipline, including boxing or kick boxing) anywhere else in the world and the fights on this double disk format are right up there with the greats and I for one am one very happy customer.

Word of warning! The blu ray is being reviewed here and not the DVD version which by comparison is extremely poor with very little fight action and in many ways is a rip off. I can only assume this is to encourage purchases of the more expensive blu ray editions? I don't know. Just be careful what you buy. For picture and sound quality as well as compendium of fights you have to go for the Blu Ray if you can and if you shop wisely you can get a copy of this disk for a fraction of the RRP (recommended retail price) but the DVD is poor and would barely rate one star due to it being ultimately inferior to the blu ray copy. Be warned! Note also why the reviews for the best of ufc disks vary so widely amongst reviewers. Get blu ray!

5/5 for the fights
4/5 for the overall format

York C201 Exercise Bike (Old Version)
York C201 Exercise Bike (Old Version)

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyers beware of all York Cycles!, 1 Jun. 2014
Beware. Look at all the one and two stars and be warned that aprroximately twenty five per cent of the reviews for this cycle rate it as poor quality.

The bike was great for about a day - silent, reasonably comfortable and solid - but like many others who have written here, our bike failed with regard to an electrical fault affecting the resistance setting.

Our bike this failed within two days and there was no option for a replacement as we foolishly let our two little uns make a den out of the box the cycle came in! A damaged box meant no replacement despite the proof of receipt and the fact that York were aware of the fault and there was to be no service engineer coming out either from York. Promises of service but nothing happened, no one turning up.

Turns out that the cycle has an inherent fault and hence hs been withdrawn. The fault seems to be a recurring one with other York cycles, demonstrating that you really do get what you pay for...

The only solace is putting up this review to warn others. One star however is extremely generous. We feel daylight robbery has occurred and the perpretrators (York) got away with it. The bike together with the box thus became an expensive deb for the kids and has since become a cumbersome clothes stand gathering dust. And we expected so much more...

Retro Phone Co®-360-Retro Union Jack Leather PU Stand Case Cover for Apple ipad 4, iPad 2/iPad 3 with Magnetic Sleep Wake Sensor

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase - great quality,great looking,great value!, 6 Feb. 2014
Really impressed with this product. Looks fantastic - great vintage look and is super value for a such a well made item. If you like the look of the picture, then you will love the item when you receive it. Much better than I thought it was going to be. Great prompt service too. Top rate five star purchase.

UFC 158: St-Pierre vs Diaz [DVD]
UFC 158: St-Pierre vs Diaz [DVD]
Dvd ~ Georges St-Pierre

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Fight Night!, 4 Jan. 2014
Very good card - some superb matches, especially between Hendricks and Condit. The GSP fight with Diaz perhaps didn't turn out as expected but is an excellent display of domination by the winner. If you like mixed martial arts then this is a worthy addition to your collection. Great extras and a good overall card. In my view the second best fixture of 2013. great atmosphere as well - the Canadians came out in force and I love watching this one for the sheer buzz of the main fight cards.

UFC 162 - Silva Vs Weidman [DVD]
UFC 162 - Silva Vs Weidman [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best cards of the year, 4 Jan. 2014
This is a good DVD to purchase and contains a great selection of all that mixed martial arts has to offer. Great fights,lots of dramatic moments ,lots of interesting extras and plenty of replay value for your hard earned money.

Probably the best card of 2013 if you are wondering which card to purchase and worth owning.

Ultimate Fighting Championship: 165 - Jones Vs Gustafsson [DVD]
Ultimate Fighting Championship: 165 - Jones Vs Gustafsson [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting card for fight fans - good replay value, 4 Jan. 2014
I enjoyed this fight card - there are some very interesting fights. Worth it for fight fans from a technical point of view. Whilst not containing the most stand out fights as a collective whole, I found myself pressing the replay button plenty of times to look at technique. The main event is worth the price alone and is one of the best fights in UFC history. A great exhibition of all that mixed martial arts has to offer. The extras are pretty cool and in all there is a lot of good viewing for the price. A worthy four stars.

Ultimate Fighting Championship: 164 - Henderson Vs Pettis [DVD]
Ultimate Fighting Championship: 164 - Henderson Vs Pettis [DVD]

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best UFC out there - for hard core fans only perhaps., 18 Dec. 2013
Just to guide anyone picking and choosing which UFC DVDs to buy. This one contains some OK fights, but has little in the 'wow that was amazing ' category.

The main card bouts tend to be anti climactic - on occasion a fight is stopped too early by the referee or ends abruptly with good technique minus the accompanying drama.

I would watch a couple of fights again, but in the main, the fixtures here are OK rather than great and this is possibly one of the weaker UFCs I have purchased in a while.

UFC Best of 2012: The Year In Review [Blu-ray]
UFC Best of 2012: The Year In Review [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Anderson Silva

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be so much better..., 16 Dec. 2013
Worth a purchase if you like mixed martial arts and want a taster of what the UFC had to offer in 2012.

However, buy the Blu Ray not the DVD or you will be short changed and not receive the majority of fights - be warned. The DVD I would give only two and a half stars as there is hardly any content in comparison to the Blu Ray.

There is an overview of the year but many great fights are shown in highlight form only and the fights are so tightly edited that there is a rushed feel to things and the interviews after the fights are generally skipped.

There are some great fights in full but there are others that are conspicuous by their absence. The UFC is a big business and they are blatant in their treatment of the fans - spend, spend, spend if you want to follow the sport. Best of 2012? No chance, they have missed too many great fights out and would rather you buy their full collection. Compared to all the other Best of UFCs this one is better than 2011 but not as comprehensible in its coverage of the best fights of the year when compared to other editions.

Nonetheless the UFC is an exciting format for showcasing MMA and those fights that are covered are generally exciting to watch. Just be prepared that the Best of 2012 is arguably good but short changes the fans to the extent that it cannot be considered great or genuinely the 'Best of 2012'.

Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography
Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Mike Tyson Biography, 15 Dec. 2013
If you are even remotely interested in Mike Tyson then this will prove a most worthwhile read. Far more eloquent than one would inpmagine (as witnessed by his one man shows) yet despite the aid of a ghost writer, most definitely the authentic voice of the formidable former heavyweight boxing champion of the world.

The book is perhaps the most brutally honest biography I have ever read. For this alone it is worth buying.

To seemingly become a fly on the wall to Iron Mike's personal development as a boxer and to gain insight into his life of crime and harsh upbringing in the early days is another reason to consider purchase.

Mid way through the book I was compelled to rewatch some of his best moments on YouTube (maybe one day we will have e-books intermingled with the authors voice as an option and access to visual clips all in one package when we buy our books in a few years time). Iron Mike was truly formidable and the story that unfolds provides insightful insight into what makes a champion and ironically what contributes to his fall.

I was particularly fascinated by the insight given by the strategies and physchological shenanigans of his mentor Cus D'amato. Without his input and the chain of events that led to Mike Tyson's involvement with him there would have been no champion (which gives us food for thought as to all those out there who never did manage to reach the extraordinary potential to which they were capable).

A fascinating read. A jaw dropping read in places. Funny, at times tragic, but to its credit honest and ultimately entertaining.

Mike Tyson has packed more living into his life than most and whether one ultimately liked the man or not, this book captures a most interesting life and fully justifies the rave reviews.

Did he rape or not rape? User or used? Violent perpretrator and victim of his upbringing? Or monster, rapist, animal?

Mike Tyson appears to lay his soul bare and the reader has enough scope in this honest biography to form or strengthen an opinion.

Five stars if you are a boxing fan or a fan of Iron Mike Tyson. Four stars plus if you are coming into this biography with little knowledge of the famous . If you hate the man I would still give it four stars.

People are complex and Mike Tyson especially so. For me, I came away understanding more about the man. I enjoyed his company and marvelled at his formidable boxing legacy but was left wary of his violent potential and capacity for self loathing.

When Tyson shook up the world by becoming the youngest heavyweight champion my friend called him an ' awesome animal' - such was his ferocity.

On reading this biography I feel compelled to conclude my friend summed it up about right...

The Counselor
The Counselor

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, Memorable but Short., 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Counselor (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this in one easy sitting and look forward to further re-reads. Deceptively simplistic prose masking a number of chilling themes and insights into the human condition. Worth reading the script first and then seeing the film I think - for me at least it would help me not to feel confused by what is by anyones standards an unconventional plot.

There is so much meaning conveyed in each brief scene that I am not surprised that some critics have been scathing about the merits of the film. This is not your usual Hollywood script. However, if you want a screenplay that genuinely makes you think then this is a worthwhile work and one that I enjoyed very much (if enjoy is the right word for a tale so gruesome and cold) and ranks alongside Mccarthy's best work. Different but great.

My only criticism is that I was left craving more and the feeling of 'emptiness' which is most likely the authors intent. Cormac McCarthy is a truly inspired writer and the more I read his work the more I appreciate his understated genius. What he has to say about the human condition and the fates or roll of the die that affect our lives makes me wince - but it is chillingly observant and prophetic.

My thoughts on completing the screenplay? That Humankind is destined for even greater tragedy. Acts of evil stemming from our greed is genetically built into our condition. McCarthy's talent as an artist is to illuminate the frailties of our human condition and its consequences which haunt us every day of our waking lives.

Can't wait to see the film!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17