Profile for Asmodeous > Reviews

Content by Asmodeous

Asmodeous (North Yorkshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Skylanders Trap Team: Starter Pack (Xbox 360)
Skylanders Trap Team: Starter Pack (Xbox 360)

1.0 out of 5 stars What a big con! Parents beware!!! Incomplete access to the full game-spread the word!, 28 Oct 2014
A Terrible Con! Beware parents, this game is incomplete! You need to collect all the characters at £7.99 per character approx to access the full game. In this regard it would cost something like £200 plus to play fully! This is a disgraceful way to soak up your hard earned cash.
Tactic: Get the child to really covet the game through the gimmicky marketing which involves little toys that light up and interact with the game, the child then pesters their long suffering dad to buy the game and he has a choice - either give in and buy the wretched game, which will leave him/her disatisfied as they will not be able to play the complete game without forking out a fortune OR fork out a fortune and feel conned OR refuse to buy the game and look like you are being unfair as 'the game looks so cool'.
Guess what! I refuse to support a game that uses such underhand tactics to trick parents and children. Hence one star! If I could give zero stars I would!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2014 12:57 PM GMT

Inside Llewyn Davis [DVD] [2014]
Inside Llewyn Davis [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Oscar Isaac

5.0 out of 5 stars The Coen Brothers create another masterpiece - perhaps 'the masterpiece' . Brilliant,darkly funny and tragic in equal measure., 10 Aug 2014
What a great film - I have enjoyed the Coen brothers filmography which tend to consist of mood pieces (like Barton Fink) and intensely plot driven 'mood' pieces like Millers Crossing.

This film is in the Barton Fink vein - a gentle, subtle, critics might say rambling, but certainly very clever film that is beautifully shot and directed, superbly acted and wonderfully performed (in terms of musicality) masterpiece.

It rewards repeat viewings (I felt compelled to re watch it almost immediately after I viewed the informative making of extra) and found the film to brilliantly convey the trails of a struggling artist balancing on the razor edge of being a loser and making it into the big time. The story is supported by a collection of traditional songs which I personally enjoyed and loved the lyrics that complimented the black humour that pervades the story.

The Coens stories often capture the cosmic dark humour that pervades the human existence - but never before so brilliantly or effectively as in this film. The folk music adds to the brilliant script which makes you both intensely moved and want to laugh out loud almost simultaneously.

The lead actor is a revelation and in my view should in a fair world win best actor for his superb, brilliant performance. The cat is also a wonderful character and echoes a number of previous Coen motifs apparent in previous films (most notably Brother where art thou?)

All the actors are great - there are some brilliantly cast character actors whose expressions and delivery of lines is so refreshing to see and experience - in a Hollywood movie industry where everyone looks so artificial to enjoy great actors who look so real and have such, well character, seems a rare treat these days.

The highest compliments I can pay this film are that (a) I had to re watch it almost immediately (b) I want to re watch all the Coen back catalogue to reacquaint myself with their brilliance and to see what I might have missed (c) I would personally love to be involved in one of their films (and can appreciate why so many musicians,film makes and actors wish to be associated with them) though alas I am not an actor, don't sing and don't know much about the technical side of film making...but I am a bit weird looking so maybe I can take a character role (I am free).

On another level it is worth mentioning that based on the reviews that this film is clearly not for everyone. For all the things that appealed to me my wife hated the film. She couldn't bare the music and gave up on me and went to bed when I said that I wanted to stay on and watch the extras and see the film again. Not sure why it appeals so much to one person and not to the other but be aware that this is one of those films that is going to inspire polar views and depending on what you go for in a film this will either be a triumph or a bore.

For me it was an absolute triumph and I can't remember enjoying a film so much and looking forward to more repeat viewings in the future. Great film. Fully deserves five stars.

Helikon Genuine BDU Shorts Coyote size S
Helikon Genuine BDU Shorts Coyote size S

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shorts for the adventurer!, 6 Aug 2014
Wow these are treat shorts! Never thought I would write a review about shorts but these are really top notch. Great fit, come down to about the knee and adjustable with the strong Velcro waist tab. Lots of useful pockets, including zipped pockets. I used these shorts for recreational use (even served well at one point as swimming shorts!) and also, because they are quite a light but strong fabric, as undershorts where I securely stored cards and money when travelling, making them very difficult to access when venturing hazardous pick pocket areas. lightweight, strong, Multi use and in my option worth the high price. These will last for a long,long time and I reckon will keep their looks for many years. Great buy. Also bought the plastic belt which I also rate - useful for going through airports without having to completely undress. I bought the black shorts and the double sided belt with green/yellow side on one side and black on the other. When I get more money I will buy some more of these shorts as I reckon they will look great whether you have thick, muscular or even skinny legs!

Well recommended.

At The Royal Court
At The Royal Court

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Dexys live album!, 5 July 2014
This review is from: At The Royal Court (Audio CD)
Stands alongside the best of all Dexys Midnight Runners albums and a must buy for fans. Starting off with an incredible version of the Waltz the ever evolving Dexys Midnight Runners adapt and add extra dimension to existing classics and introduce unfamiliar records tracks such as Manhood and My life in England. Cd and DVD versions are enclosed and every track is worth playing again and again containing the raw emotion that you would expect from a Kevin Rowland record. The sound quality is great and excellent for a live recording, giving us the energy and dynamic quality that make the band so special. Wonderful.

The only thing I would perhaps warn people is that the occasional swear word comes out which was a bit of a shame for the 'I love you' track for instance when I would have loved to have shared this song with my little girl...perhaps wait when she gets a bit older for that song.

Child of God [DVD]
Child of God [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Franco
Offered by The Happy Zombie

3.0 out of 5 stars Book is fascinating but though true to the source material the film is a stilted affair and somewhat lacking, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Child of God [DVD] (DVD)
Don't get me wrong , this film has obviously been made with a passion and is pretty accurate to the source material. However I found it somewhat lacking. If the lead actor is visibly acting as a crazy loon then all you think of is actor acting as a crazy loon. His teeth are too perfect, his mannerisms too arty and all this makes the necrophilia storyline somewhat absurd and silly rather than shocking as per the source novel. A noble effort and worth a watch if you are a Cormac McCarthy fan but not as good as I had hoped.

Fighting for a Generation: 20 Years of the Ufc [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Fighting for a Generation: 20 Years of the Ufc [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Dana White
Offered by supermart_usa

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look, 8 Jun 2014
An interesting but fairly brief documentary. Entertaining and enjoyable while it lasted but left wanting more and for a Blu Ray it was extras free. Pleased I have it but am pretty sure this will find its way onto UFC's 'Fight Pass' in the not too distant future as a freebie extra.

Philly Kid [Blu-ray]
Philly Kid [Blu-ray]
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Very much a low grade 'B' Movie but add a '4' star if you are an MMA fan!, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Philly Kid [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Well, you need to be an Mixed Martial Arts fan who doesn't mind clunky scripts and someone who is pretty much craving for another film similar to Warrior or Rocky if you are going to nudge this up to four stars. I found it pretty silly but entertaining and a few cans of lagers and the company of a few mates certainly helps.

Not a classic and not at all in the same class as Warrior in my opinion. But hey it is thriller with MMA in the background so it is a little different. At times I was struggling to stay with it but I have to admit the lead actor is pretty watchable and convincing in the role and there are some nice training sequences and if you don't blink a few mma names taking a background role.

There is a reason this has gone under the radar but it has its moments and if you at all interested in the subject matter you will probably get something from this film - certainly at £3 for a Blu Ray it was worth a try.

Ufc Best of 2013 [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Ufc Best of 2013 [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Ronda Rousey
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Compilation from the UFC containing a great selection of exciting, jaw dropping fights!, 5 Jun 2014
This is a great Blu Ray compilation containing a superb selection of the best fights from the UFC in 2013.

For fans in the UK impatient to get the best of disk (which at the time of writing is still not released over here) I recommend the imported version if you have a Blu Ray capable of playing the disk (my Panasonic only cost me about £70 a couple of years ago so hopefully most Blu Ray players are now affordable and Multi region for fans who want better access to top rated Blu Ray disks - that seem to be delayed or never make their way to a UK approved format across the Atlantic).

I think the range of fights on the disk are generally spot on. For some fans there will always be a favourite event missing but this selection does a pretty good job of things in my view but the review of the year is full of spoilers for those who are unsure as to who won an event or can't remember the result so I suggest you watch the titled bonus matches first and then take a look at the review or it may infuriate.

Personally I would like more behind the scenes features and perhaps a discussion by experts and commentators on their highlights and predictions for the future. I would also have liked to have had the interviews after the events and the mid round insight into working the corners during fights which are ceremoniously cut from the best of package.

So in general there is still room for improvement and many fans will still be wanting for more but to be fair to the UFC you are not going to find a better, more action packed selection of fights (of any martial arts discipline, including boxing or kick boxing) anywhere else in the world and the fights on this double disk format are right up there with the greats and I for one am one very happy customer.

Word of warning! The blu ray is being reviewed here and not the DVD version which by comparison is extremely poor with very little fight action and in many ways is a rip off. I can only assume this is to encourage purchases of the more expensive blu ray editions? I don't know. Just be careful what you buy. For picture and sound quality as well as compendium of fights you have to go for the Blu Ray if you can and if you shop wisely you can get a copy of this disk for a fraction of the RRP (recommended retail price) but the DVD is poor and would barely rate one star due to it being ultimately inferior to the blu ray copy. Be warned! Note also why the reviews for the best of ufc disks vary so widely amongst reviewers. Get blu ray!

5/5 for the fights
4/5 for the overall format

York C201 Exercise Bike
York C201 Exercise Bike

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyers beware of all York Cycles!, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: York C201 Exercise Bike (Sports)
Beware. Look at all the one and two stars and be warned that aprroximately twenty five per cent of the reviews for this cycle rate it as poor quality.

The bike was great for about a day - silent, reasonably comfortable and solid - but like many others who have written here, our bike failed with regard to an electrical fault affecting the resistance setting.

Our bike this failed within two days and there was no option for a replacement as we foolishly let our two little uns make a den out of the box the cycle came in! A damaged box meant no replacement despite the proof of receipt and the fact that York were aware of the fault and there was to be no service engineer coming out either from York. Promises of service but nothing happened, no one turning up.

Turns out that the cycle has an inherent fault and hence hs been withdrawn. The fault seems to be a recurring one with other York cycles, demonstrating that you really do get what you pay for...

The only solace is putting up this review to warn others. One star however is extremely generous. We feel daylight robbery has occurred and the perpretrators (York) got away with it. The bike together with the box thus became an expensive deb for the kids and has since become a cumbersome clothes stand gathering dust. And we expected so much more...

Retro Phone Co®-360-Retro Union Jack Leather PU Stand Case Cover for Apple ipad 4, iPad 2/iPad 3 with Magnetic Sleep Wake Sensor
Offered by gl UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase - great quality,great looking,great value!, 6 Feb 2014
Really impressed with this product. Looks fantastic - great vintage look and is super value for a such a well made item. If you like the look of the picture, then you will love the item when you receive it. Much better than I thought it was going to be. Great prompt service too. Top rate five star purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17