Profile for A. P. Cantor > Reviews

Content by A. P. Cantor

A. P. Cantor "ukiah_" (london, england)

Diary of an Eco-Builder
Diary of an Eco-Builder
by Will Anderson
Price: 10.56

5.0 out of 5 stars An entralling page-turner of an introduction to eco building..., 7 Dec 2009
This account of a self-build eco project in London is warmly written and dare I say even poetic at times. As the first reviewer here already mentioned, it reads very well from cover to cover as a diary but is also useful to dip into about a particular topic to refresh your memory.

The book isn't intended as a thorough exploration of the physics and scientific calculations for building an ecohouse, but there are still useful summaries of the best practices and materials to use for anyone who wants to get a quick insight into how an ecohouse can be designed.

The author and partner obviously have a real passion for design and when the going gets tough dont compromise either the eco credentials or design and settle for second best. This is what makes the book so gripping, you really get a glimpse of the exhaustion and trials they put themselves through to realise their work of art.

There are two really useful features of the book, firstly is a sort of inspiration that you get from reading it, twinned with a note of realism as to how difficult a self built of this sort can actually be. However, the inspiration part in my head wins out over the caution. This is where the second useful part comes in, I have decided I would like to build an ecohouse in the future rather than buying an existing property. Each chapter and section comes with summarised contact details for all the companies, products and services used by the author. An invaulable resource potentially taking a lot of the legwork out of doing it yourself.

I am thrilled at the thought of building an ecohouse and will cherry pick their practical eco features but modify the interior design to suit my lower budget.

Pressure Drop: the Best of Toots & the Maytals
Pressure Drop: the Best of Toots & the Maytals
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Spring Cleaning, 2 Aug 2006
First time I heard Toots (this CD compilation version) was a Sunday morning sometime in April. I had been for a coffee with the new girl in our shared house. We came home, I made lunch, she put on Toots loud on my big Mission Speakers, the sun was shining and we both pottered around spring cleaning the flat. This CD immediately made me happy.
For me, my favourite song is Time Enough for the bittersweet beautiful refrains and backing vocals.
Consequently, the CD has shaped my summer well, me and said girl went to see them live in London for her birthday in June. It was ace. I suppose personally it will always make me think of her but I cant stress how amazing nearly every song on this CD is!
enjoy!