Profile for Matthew D. Phillips > Reviews

Content by Matthew D. Phi...

Matthew D. Phillips "zax93" (Outer Limits)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Frankenstein Created Woman [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Frankenstein Created Woman [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Peter Cushing

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Movie - Blu Ray Transfer is OK, 4 Sep 2014
I hadn't seen this one before watching it on Blu Ray. The picture is just OK - the colours are quite muted and detail is not exactly popping off the screen - I still enjoyed the experience of the movie though and the slightly drab look did seem to fit this rather grim entry in the Hammer series of Horror flicks. The movie itself is good and quite unique - the acting is good and the villains in particular are brilliant in this - I had a lot more emotional investment in the characters here than I do for many of the other Hammers which is what makes this one stand out in it's own unique way. I love the cover of the Blu Ray with its shocking pink text and you also get a bunch of mini postcards inside which is a nice bonus. The extras are decent too so definitely worth the price which at the time of writing is under £10. This is Region A Locked so you must have a Multi Region player to view in the UK.

The Man Who Haunted Himself (Blu-ray + DVD)
The Man Who Haunted Himself (Blu-ray + DVD)
Dvd ~ Roger Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Transfer of a Suprisingly Great 70s Movie, 2 Sep 2014
I've had this one sitting on the shelf for some time now and just got around to watching it and well i'm very impressed - First off the Blu Ray transfer has to be one of the best I have seen for a film of this age - it's a great time capsule of britain in the late 60s. The film itself plays rather like a Tales from the Crypt / Twilight Zone kind of tale which is right up my street and there is also some highly inventive camera work, editing and FX that are impressive to this day. There is a specific scene that is reminiscent of movie from Bava and Argento with lurid lighting and a psychedelic edge that was surprising and impressive. Also the music was very similar to an Italian Giallo soundtrack. The film at times also reminded me of the great Amicus films of the 70s in its mood. So all in all this is a winner. The biggest negative is that this comes in a slimline dvd height box so it doesn't stack with the rest of your Blu Ray collection so this is on the shelf with my over oversize Blu Rays such as my Blade Runner Digibook. Finally this must be the best acting I have ever seen from Roger Moore - it's great to see him show some vulnerability and emotion in this film that proves he can really act!

Battlestar Galactica: 35th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [1978] [US Import]
Battlestar Galactica: 35th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [1978] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Dirk Benedict
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars More fun than Star Wars, 13 Aug 2014
I had more fun and got more of a nostalgia trip from watching this Blu Ray than I did from Star Wars, which in fact I sold on after having only really flicked through the disks. Whereas Star Wars (or should I say A New Hope) really doesn't feel like it is from the late 70s after all the changes and tweaks, Battlestar Galactica is just how you remember it expect much better in HD - The widescreen ratio really suits it and the colours and transfer in general is great. It would be nice if one day we get Star Wars in a similarly 'retro' presentation.

Android [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Android [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Klaus Kinski
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Murder is a serious crime Max, 13 Aug 2014
One of my favourite movies - I watched this many times after taping it off TV as a kid. I've always loved the music and it would be great to track down the soundtrack however it is apparently very rare. This is a very quirky film and I still find myself quoting the odd line to myself from time to time - however when I try this with other people they don't get it :)

A Study in Terror [Blu-ray]
A Study in Terror [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ John Neville

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Blu Ray Transfer - Film is only OK for me...., 13 Aug 2014
First off the transfer is excellent so if you are a fan of this film then you will be happy. I'd never seen this before so lacking the nostalgia that comes with seeing old films you love spruced up in HD I only found the film to be just OK. Visually things are pretty good - there's the usual ladies of the night and the foggy streets of London. The actual story is not very inspired or gripping and Sherlock Holmes & Doctor Watson are more annoying than anything else. The music is kinda odd using 60s style bongo beats does clash with the Victorian setting for example. Much as I love this period of UK horror / thriller filmmaking I don't think this one is going to be a keeper but it is worth seeing and I suppose it may charm you in a way that it failed to for myself.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2014 11:11 AM BST

Ms 45 [Blu-ray] [1981] [US Import]
Ms 45 [Blu-ray] [1981] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Albert Sinkys

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Presentation of a Classic, 11 Aug 2014
This is a great Blu Ray Release - I used to have the old Big Box Warner Brothers VHS of this film under the title of 'Angel of Vengeance' - I then bought the Region 3 DVD some years back but it looked pretty poor and I never actually got round to watching it all - This Blu Ray looks really good however - The colours and look of the film are spot on - the reverse cover is the original poster art - the extras are all informative and tastefully done with an arthouse kind of style. The film itself is totally unique, after watching it I was racking my brain to think of something in a similar vein but really Ms. 45 stands on its own in no small part due to Zoe Lund's performance. This is Region A locked.

The Blood Beast Terror [Blu-ray] [1968]
The Blood Beast Terror [Blu-ray] [1968]
Dvd ~ Peter Cushing

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Times with the Death's Head Moth!, 24 July 2014
After all the bad press I had read of this film I expected rather a dull affair but was pleasantly surprised by what turned out to be a quirky and thoroughly entertaining film. The Blu Ray transfer is top notch and there are many visual pluses to the film, the colour is great and the picture clear and without digital tampering. The film itself is quite lush with nicely dressed sets and plenty of on location shots that look great. The sound is good although there is a slight low end hum on the soundtrack from time to time but nothing too drastic. The story is ok but some things don't make much sense, however this should not deter lovers of british horror from checking this out - this is just fun, with good atmosphere and some good turns from the actors. Wanda Ventham is particularly spellbinding and is sure to delight lovers of Gothic Glamour. There are some funny moments both intentional and not - such as the opening scene supposedly set in the African Jungle but is obviously the English Countryside.

When a Stranger Calls / Happy Birthday to Me [Blu-ray] [US Import]
When a Stranger Calls / Happy Birthday to Me [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Glenn Ford
Offered by passionFlix UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for fans of Suspense / Horror movies, 30 Sep 2013
I'd never seen either of these films before ordering the Blu Ray - first things first it is true that this disk is region locked and will not play on a Region B player but anyone with Region Free Capacity should snap this up.

The atmosphere and acting in When a Stranger Calls makes for a really unique film in the history of Horror movies. Contrary to some people I actually really enjoyed the entire film not just the famous opening segment. The atmosphere, the city streets, the acting and the off kilter nature of many of the characters all add up to a memorable and unique experience.

Happy Birthday to Me is an enjoyable piece of 80s hokum which is good fun although let down by a ridiculously implausible twist which should never have been included but hey it was the 80s!

The Transfers of both films are great and genuine HD representations of how they are supposed to look.

It's even easier to enjoy this double bill knowing how cheap it is - so what are you waiting for?

Lsxx
Lsxx

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value - Worth it for CD 2 Alone!, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Lsxx (Audio CD)
This is a great value set - I would pay the full price for the second CD alone which features all the great EPs The Breeders released around the time of Last Splash - Many of these tracks I was not familiar with and they are all great although the last song a live version of Iris is not the best rendition but still. As far as I am aware there has been no remastering to these tracks at least in terms of compression which is a good thing from my point of view - this is how these tracks have always sounded thankfully. Of course the original LP is still a classic and the live CD is also great but it is CD 2 that keeps spinning over and over in my player :)

Bay of Blood: Remastered Edition [Blu-ray] [1971] [US Import]
Bay of Blood: Remastered Edition [Blu-ray] [1971] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Mario Bava

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak audio imho (kino usa release), 18 Sep 2013
The picture quality on the blu ray is pretty decent if a little subdued in terms of contrast and saturation for my tastes however it probably represents the look of the film pretty accurately. I have a problem with the audio on this release though, it sounds as though it has been passed through a hiss / noise removal filter that results in a kind of digital warbling / chorus effect at times - I would prefer hiss and pops to that processed type of sound. However most reviews i've read don't mention this so unless you are fussy about this kind of thing you may not notice.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2014 11:48 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3