Profile for SpanielEars2000 > Reviews

Content by SpanielEars2000

SpanielEars2000 (The Essex Riviera.)

Foundries and Rolling Mills: Memories of Industrial Britain
Foundries and Rolling Mills: Memories of Industrial Britain
by David Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Dibnah!, 30 Mar 2013
An excellent book, an enjoyable read. Dunno how much is Dibnah and how much is Hall, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Fred Dibnah's All Steamed Up [DVD]
Fred Dibnah's All Steamed Up [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fred Dibnah
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Dibnah!, 30 Mar 2013
It was great to see Fred in his element. Such lovely machines and interesting characters. We'll never see his like again.

Fred Dibnahs Magnificent Monuments: Forts And Castles & Houses And Places [DVD]
Fred Dibnahs Magnificent Monuments: Forts And Castles & Houses And Places [DVD]
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars Dibnah!, 30 Mar 2013
The TV series as aired with no retrospective filler, unlike some of the other Dibnah boxed sets. Excellent and enjoyable.

Fundamentals of Watchmaking - Elgin Watchmakers College Watch Repair Course
Fundamentals of Watchmaking - Elgin Watchmakers College Watch Repair Course
by Mike Barnett

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 30 Mar 2013
This is only one part of the repair course, with none of the supporting material. I found it to be of no use at all.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou [DVD]
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray

5.0 out of 5 stars Go team Zissou!, 10 Nov 2011
My missus, my father and I absolutely loved this film. I had heard of it, then I saw some stills from it on the Poor Man's Watch forum (Bill Murray wears a Vostok Amphibia)... I googled it, read the reviews and it looked fascinating, then I ordered it on here. It's a very amusing film with tragic moments, utterly surreal moments and some moments of pure warmth. I can't recommend it enough. I look forward to my 2 week old son being large enough to fit in his 'Team Zissou' red hat (aged 3-6 months).

Ideology: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Ideology: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Michael Freeden

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard work but rewarding..., 10 Nov 2011
Hard work but rewarding, I really enjoyed this book. Each paragraph or two needed a reread and then a period of contemplation before moving on. The whole series is an excellent project.

Man Walks Into A Pub: A Sociable History of Beer (Fully Updated Second Edition)
Man Walks Into A Pub: A Sociable History of Beer (Fully Updated Second Edition)
by Pete Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent* book. *Apart from all the footnotes., 26 Jun 2011
This book is packed with fascinating information and is by and large well written, but every few paragraphs it slips into a strange sort of yobbish patois (presumably to appeal to the lowest common denominator). I am intrigued by the social history of the British pub, but I feel a bit let down by the assumption that my interest can only be engaged and maintained by tabloid style asides* and swearing. I think I can see what the author was trying to do, but his approach certainly wasn't needed for me to want to read on as the vast majority of the book is excellently researched and communicated. I sincerely hope the author has every success in his attempt to encourage the less reflective drinker to appreciate what he/she is drinking (and where, when and why), but I wonder under what circumstances this drinker would come to be reading this book in the first place. Nonetheless, a veritable mine of pub related facts. A superb book, all in all.

*As mentioned by a couple of the other reviewers.