Profile for M. Davies > Reviews

Content by M. Davies

M. Davies

I Know What You Did Last Wednesday (Diamond Brothers)
I Know What You Did Last Wednesday (Diamond Brothers)
by Anthony Horowitz
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars What do Year 3 children think of this book?, 23 Jan 2014
I read this book to my year 3 class in Southampton. We chose this book because we felt it would appeal to boy readers and it was also short - only 80 pages. This made it perfect for keeping the children's attention and creating learning tasks based on the story.

But what did the children think...

"It was mind-blowing. It was awesome because it was creepy and shocking, whilst being funny and interesting."

"The book did make me have a few bad dreams because it had a lot of people being killed in it but I am pleased that we finished it because I now feel a lot better about it."

"Tim is my favourite character because he takes baths with plastic ducks, does silly things and is generally quite stupid."

"I want to go to the library and get it out so that I can read it again."

The children really enjoyed the book, even though it was a bit scary at times for them. As teachers, we edited what we read to them slightly so as to cut out some of the more gruesome parts - even though nothing in the book is too graphic.
As a class, we would recommend this book for children in year 4 (8-9 year olds) and older. There are some year 3 children though who would really enjoy this book though.

Holes
Holes
by Louis Sachar
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Review about Holes - our Power of Reading Book (Summer 2011), 8 July 2011
This review is from: Holes (Paperback)
The book that I am writing this review on is 'Holes' by Louis Sachar. The setting of the book is in a place called Camp Green Lake in Texas. The main character of the novel is named Stanley Yelnats IV who is a normal boy whose life was strangely turned around.

It is an adventure story packed with flashbacks, sudden and unusual twists.

Stanley is a very caring and willing boy from an unlucky family that has been cursed. Other characters in the book include; Zero, X-ray, Squid, Zig-Zag, Magnet, Armpit, Mr Sir, The Warden and Mr Pendanski.

When Stanley is at Camp Green Lake - a junvenile detention camp - he has to dig holes all day.

The chapters in the book are short which helped us read them. It is an unpredictable novel and I felt that it was a bit like super-glue because once we started to read it in lessons, we never wanted to put it down. It is also one of those books that when you finish reading it, you want to go back and start it all over again.

I would recommend this novel to 10-15 year olds and to children who like interesting, unpredictable books.

I would also give this book a score of 10/10

Layla 5D

Into the Forest
Into the Forest
by Anthony Browne
Price: 5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Review by 4MD, Ludlow Junior School, 28 Jun 2010
This review is from: Into the Forest (Paperback)
4MD have been reading this book as part of their Literacy lessons. They found that the build up of tension towards the end of the story made it more exciting. One child did wonder what the point of the opening page was as it added nothing to the rest of the story. Almost all of the children loved the illustrations and the contrast of colour against black and white.
Another child felt it was easy to read so everyone could access it. The class would recommend the story to others who are a little bit younger, but may need it to be read to them.
Most of the children would want to read more books by Anthony Browne in the future.

The Dahlmanac: A Year with Roald Dahl : Fun Facts and Jokes
The Dahlmanac: A Year with Roald Dahl : Fun Facts and Jokes
by Roald Dahl

4.0 out of 5 stars Roald Dahlmanac review by M Cameron (Age 10), 3 Jan 2008
I really enjoyed this because it tells you how to cook stuff and it has lots of funny jokes in it.
My favourite part was where it told you how to make pancakes.

I would recommend this book for 7-12 year old readers.

I would like to read 'Boy - Tales of Childhood' after reading this book.

Mirror Mirror
Mirror Mirror
by Nancy Butcher
Price: 5.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Mirror Mirror review by A Lorains (Age 10), 3 Jan 2008
This review is from: Mirror Mirror (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book because author used really good descriptions for the characters and settings. My favourite character was the Beauty Consultant because he was a dark and gloomy character who kept himself to himself.
I would recommend this book for 9-11 year old readers.
After reading this book, I would like to read more books by this author.

The Silver Sword (Puffin Books)
The Silver Sword (Puffin Books)
by Ian Serraillier

5.0 out of 5 stars Silver Sword review - 4MD Ludlow Junior School, 20 April 2007
It was a good story because you were never sure what was going to happen next. (Laurie)

It is an adventurous book with excitement and danger. (Michael and Peter)

It was a rollercoaster of emotions taking you from happy to sad to worried and back to happy again. (Connor)

I enjoyed the chararcter of Jan because he was very cheeky and also liked animals. He was also very resourceful and would help get items for the other children. (Portia)

We also thought that Ruth was a very brave person who had to take on a lot of resposibilty at a young age. (Everyone)

We really enjoyed this story but felt that it would be better for children aged 10 and over because the plot is quite complicated with flashbacks and the vocabulary is quite hard for young children to understand.

The Hodgeheg (A young Puffin story book)
The Hodgeheg (A young Puffin story book)
by Dick King-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hodgeheg by Year 3, Literacy Set 3 at Ludlow Junior School, Southampton, 5 May 2006
We have been reading this book for our Literacy lessons and we had to write a book review.

The story is about a small hedgehog called Max. He has to try and find a safe place for hedgehogs to cross the road to get to the park. He has different attempts at finding safe places, with some funny consequences.

Most of us agreed that Max was our favourite character because when he got knocked over, he started to muddle his words, which we thought was funny. Also, he became a hero to all hedgehogs by finding a safe place for them to cross over the road. We all liked the way the author wrote the story from a hedgehogs point of view, particularly looking at humans.

We really enjoyed this story and would recommend it for 7-9 year olds or for parents who want to read it to younger children.