Profile for Bebe Belisma > Reviews

Content by Bebe Belisma

Bebe Belisma "Thepowerof" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventures)
Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventures)
by Marc Tolon Brown
Price: 5.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for young children to overcome their fear of Halloween!, 15 Oct 2008
Arthur the Aardvark is having trouble falling asleep as it is the night before Halloween and his house is decorated to look incredibly spooky.

When he finally does fall alseep and wakes up the next morning,things get even worse when his annoying little sister D.W scares him as she is dressed in her Halloween costume ready to go trick or treating.

Arthur feels embarrassed and irritated that he has to take D.W trick or treating with him because he'll be "the only one who has to drag my baby sister along".

When Arthur,his friends and D.W eventually go trick or treating,they are all scared to go into 'the Witch's House'.

But D.W breaks her candy bag,Arthur has to pick it up,and when he turns round D.W has gone into the Witch's House...meaning Arthur will have to go in after her!

Arthur's friends worry what has happened to them...'Maybe the Witch put them into an oven just like Hansel and Gretel,maybe she's using them for horrible scientific experiments or maybe she's locked them in a cellar to starve'...

Arthur's Halloween is a really good book to read to young children who are scared of Halloween.

It features colourful illustration and shows Arthur back when he looked more like an aardvark and less like the TV version we all know so well today!

Sex and the City: The Movie [2008] [DVD]
Sex and the City: The Movie [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sarah Jessica Parker
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.02

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do the series justice..., 12 Oct 2008
As a big fan of the TV series,I really looked forward to seeing this movie.

However,while some people who usually don't like the series loved the movie,I find I was the other way around...I loved the series but thought the movie was just 'okay'.

Some things that the characters did,didn't really seem to be in their nature and sometimes it felt as if the writers were trying too hard to be both fashionable and funny(and I found the whole resorting to toilet humour thing in Charlotte's case just a bit cheap and try hard).

On a more positive note...It was,at the end of the day, a good,fun,uplifting movie with plenty of beautiful dresses and fabulous outfits.

Although I do think some of the characters didn't get enough air time,such as Charlotte and Harry whose relationship we didn't see nearly enough of and I would have liked to have seen Stanford and Anthony feature A LOT more (but apparently there are rumours of a sequel so maybe they'll show more of them in the second film).

Overall...I enjoyed it,although I thought at times it was a bit slow in parts and less witty than the series was and it certainly didn't pack that sassy single girl punch.

Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck "Essentials")
Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck "Essentials")
by John Steinbeck

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most popular books in American Literature-and for good reason!, 12 Oct 2008
This wonderful book is one of the most popular books written by Nobel prize winner-John Steinbeck.

It is also probably one of the most popular books in American Literature.

Set during The Great Depression,The story is about two migrant farm workers-George Milton(who is a cynical man) and Lennie Small(who is very big,strong but mentally disabled and reliant on George to look after him) and how they dream of owning their own piece of land.

Due to something Lennie has done(which was actually sort of a misunderstanding),the pair must go to a ranch in Soledad,California, to make money and escape the trouble they are in.

The book is an amazing tale of friendship and the heartbreaking thing George must do at the end to save his friend Lennie is so touching.

I read this book for GCSE and it is now one of my favourite's.

It is a definite 'must read' and I would recommend it 100%.

Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas [DVD]
Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew O'Callaghan
Price: 3.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical,enchanting animation that gets you into the Christmas spirit!, 12 Oct 2008
After watching Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas(which I thoroughly enjoyed),I decided to also buy it's sequel(being a lover of all things Christmas and Disney).

It was only when I bought it,I realised it was computer animated...
(This was also the first time the Disney characters were seen in 3D animation).

'Oh here we go'...I thought to myself.

I usually find that when Disney uses computer animation(apart from Pixar,which is obviously brilliant),it takes the charm out,so I really dreaded seeing how awful this was probably going to be.

But...I was pleasantly surprised!
I actually thought that the computer animation added to it's appeal and made Huey, Dewey and Louie look even cuter than usual!

The short 'films' included are:

"Belles on Ice"
"Christmas: Impossible"
"Christmas Maximus"
"Donald's Gift"
"Mickey's Dog-Gone Christmas"

If you are looking for a sweet,family,Christmas 'movie' then I would definitely suggest this as it is just as good,if not better than the first 'Upon A Christmas'.

It really gets you into the festive spirit,and for me Christmas just wouldn't be complete without it.

Moomin - Volume Two [1990] [DVD]
Moomin - Volume Two [1990] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryosuke Takahashi
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 9.90

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE the Moomins!, 11 Oct 2008
This is the second in the series of the 90's animated version of the Moomins.

As with the previous release,the picture and sound quality are not perfect and the quality control could have been better(on the list of episodes,one episode is incorrectly titled 'Hurry Up Snifkin',instead of Snufkin),but there's no major issues.

And as I have mentioned on my review of the first series of the Moomins I am prepared to put up with a few flaws just to see this imaginative,charming and mystical cartoon again!

If anyone is interested in the other series of the Moomins,I have emailed Stax Entertainment who is involved in producing these DVD's and they told me "Volume 3 will be out around Easter next year with Volume 4 around September next year and hopefully 2 more series during 2010."

If you are a fan of the Moomins,I would recommend you buy this now as it is a brilliant show and really captures the magic of the books(which were written by Tove Jansson.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2009 11:35 PM BST

True Blue
True Blue
Price: 5.33

4.0 out of 5 stars The first album that made me buy a movie!, 5 Oct 2008
This review is from: True Blue (Audio CD)
I love Madonna's music.

Even though she changes direction so often with both her sound and image,I ALWAYS buy her album without even reading reviews or listening to previews because I can almost GURANTEE I will love it(and you shouldn't listen to reviews all the time because the critics seemed to hate American life,but I personally think it is some of Madonna's best and most personal work).

And despite owning ALL of Madonna's albums...

I am NOT a crazy Madonna fan,who just blindly worships her like some idol.

I don't think she has anything close to one of the 'best' or 'strongest' voices in the music industry but I do think she has an incredibly versatile voice that seems to suit whatever she sings well.

True Blue is ONE of my favourite albums of her's(others are Madonna,American Life,The Immaculate Collection & Hard Candy).

Her is my opinion on each song individually...

1.Papa Don't Preach-This song is considered a Madonna classic,but it annoys me a little(I don't know why,maybe because of the Kelly Osborne association),sometimes I like it,sometimes I HATE it.
I'm going to give it 7/10

2.Open Your Heart-I absolutely LOVE this song.It excites me every time I hear it and reminds me of a certain someone!And it ALWAYS makes me want to dance and jump around!
10/10

3.White Heat-Since I only recently bought this album,I also only recently heard this song...and I am shocked it was not released as a single!
It has to be one of the most catchy Madonna songs ever!
I even bought the movie White Heat because of this song,because I was so intrigued as to was it was about!
10/10

4.Live To Tell-I believe Madonna has said this is her favourite out of all her songs.
I disagree!
While it is a powerful and moving song,to me it is also slightly boring and I must prefer her song Take a Bow(not on this album,but I think it is more moving).
7/10

5.Where's the Party-A fan favourite.
But I don't particularly like or dislike this song.
I didn't think it was very catchy or exciting.
6/10

6.True Blue-This is a very sweet song and great to listen to when you're in love or feeling incredibly happy.
Some might think it's a bit too girly or sickly sweet but personally,I love it!
10/10

7.La Isla Bonita-This is my Mother's favourite song,however I'm not incredibly enthusiastic about it,maybe it's because I've heard it SO many times.
I don't dislike it,but saying that,I don't love it either!
8/10

8.Jimmy Jimmy-Quite a fun track,not particularly memorable.
6.5/10

9.Love Makes the World Go Round-I don't mind this,but again it's not that memorable.
7/10

10.True Blue-This is a remix I'm not a fan of them,so I'll leave you to judge for yourself.

11.La Isla Bonita-See above!

Beatrix Potter - The World of Peter Rabbit & Friends [DVD] [1992]
Beatrix Potter - The World of Peter Rabbit & Friends [DVD] [1992]
Dvd ~ Beatrix Potter
Price: 5.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Adaptation!, 19 Aug 2008
A wonderful adaptation of some brilliant stories written by the inimatable Beatrix Potter.
Charm oozes out of every picturesque scene we are presented with.

The characters are brought to life in such a realistic way with voices by well chosen actors.
My Mother bought the video version of these stories years ago when I was still a young child,but they sadly didn't work anymore.
Even though I am now 17,I asked my Mum to buy this DVD collection so I could watch them again and again for years to come.

We are both transfixed by the enchanting world that we entered into.
Proving that these timeless DVD's can appeal to children of all ages!

The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD]
The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryosuke Takahashi
Price: 12.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, 8 April 2008
I have been waiting for this animated version of The Moomins to come out ever since it went off TV!

As a child of the 90s,I never saw the version with puppets so I didn't want to buy that(although I am sure it is very good,since so many people rave about it).

The Moomins was my favourite TV show when I was little and I was devastated when it was took off(I've only got one recorded episode,The Golden Fish from series 3, to keep me going all these years)!

I never thought after all this time,they would release this show...but then I saw a review in The Times for it and I was so happy!

They don't make such quality kids programs these days but I think children of today would adore The Moomins!

I only have 2 complaints about this DVD...

1.The picture/sound quality isn't the best(which is the reason I gave it four not five stars),in some parts it even echoes,but then this DVD isn't exactly expensive and I'm prepared to put up with a few flaws just to be able to see The Moomins again!

2.My other complaint is that I can't buy ALL of the episodes!
Please please release all the other series too!

I have a link to the website which lists information on the other series and episodes of the Moomins,so if anyone is interested,please email me.

Stripped
Stripped
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Album!, 29 Sep 2007
This review is from: Stripped (Audio CD)
I believe this to be Christina's best work!
The majority of the album is full with really brilliant catchy songs.
My favourite songs are Walk away(this song is pure perfection!),Dirrty,Can't hold us down,Under appreciated and The voice within.
Although I have to admit I seem to be the only person who HATES Beautiful(maybe it's because I've heard so many covers on TV shows such as The X Factor)!

Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince: Children's Edition (Harry Potter 6)
Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince: Children's Edition (Harry Potter 6)
by J.K. Rowling
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter...Overhyped?Not if this book is anything to go by!, 29 Sep 2007
This book is absolutely Brilliant!
As someone who thinks Harry Potter is overrated,I actually could understand the hype if this book is anything to go by!

It is really imaginative and J.K.Rowling makes you understand the detail of the new characters and places really well.
Each chapter had something really exciting in it which made me unable to put it down!
Even if you're not a Harry Potter fanatic(like me), I advise you to read this(although you'd obviously have to know the storyline from the previous books) because it really is an amazing book in it's own right as well as the link between the 5th and the final book!

Page: 1 | 2