Profile for David Atkinson > Reviews

Content by David Atkinson

David Atkinson

BenQ GL2450HM 24-inch Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2 ms, VGA, DVI-D, HDMI, Windows 7 Compatible) - Glossy Black
Offered by Box Limited
Price: 120.29

4.0 out of 5 stars It's big and bright, 4 April 2014
I like it so much I bought two because that's just the sort of person I am. You'd like me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2014 12:13 AM BST

The Last Sentinel
The Last Sentinel
Dvd
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited
Price: 4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst film I've ever seen, 4 April 2014
Was the director 12? I mean 12 years old. Truly, truly a waste of all of our time. I commend the owners of Amazon to remove this film from their collection.

The Man from London [DVD]
The Man from London [DVD]
Dvd ~ Istvan Lenart
Price: 6.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Man from London [DVD] (DVD)
There were just far too many long scenes where nothing much happens. Cut at least half an hour from this film and it might help to quicken the pace and add some tension. I just felt I was being slowly tortured, like not being able to sleep during an Emmerdale omnibus.

KitSound BoomDock Docking Station Compatible with iPhone 3G, 3Gs, 4, 4S, iPod Nano 6th Gen and iPod Touch 4th Gen - Black
Price: 79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful item to have if you don't have one already, 13 Sep 2011
Ten years ago I would never have imagined that boomdock would have been part of my vocabulary. But ask me today would I recommend the KitSound BoomDock and I would wholeheartedly respond in the affirmative. I'm not one of those music system boffins who insists on solid gold connections and uses sophisticated scientific equipment to measure sound quality in various crannies of the domestic residence. No siree not me. But I can tell the difference between muffled sounds and clear resonance and the KitSound BoomDock falls squarely in the realm of the latter. I may live to regret many things but not the purchase of a KitSound BoomDock.

Black Adjustable 6 Levels Protector USB Cooling Cooler Laptop 3 Fans Pad with 4 USB 2.0 Ports for Sony HP Dell Samsung Toshiba Acer,Advent Compaq,Packard Bell
Offered by BV-electronics
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 13 Sep 2011
Ok, it didn't come in a tin and the box it came in didn't make any promises either (in fact it didn't even have any instructions). But it does do everything I expected it to do. Lifts your laptop up at a jaunty angly of your choice (within a finite range), easy to connect to your laptop and four standard size USB ports. Oh, and the fans keep your laptop cool as well. Maybe not as cool as a mint julep on a blistering summer's day but what is?

The Woman in White
The Woman in White
by Wilkie Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars It's unputdownable!, 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Woman in White (Paperback)
I started reading this book in July 2010 but could only manage 50 or so pages. I picked it up again a year later and found it unputdownable. If you're like me, persevere. Don't succumb to the Mediterranean sun telling you it's OK to fall asleep on the beach listening to an iPod rather than enriching your life through literature. This is a good book, a really good book in fact. I commend all press moguls to print it in serial format above their mastheads every day.

Labyrinths: Selected Stories and Other Writings (Penguin Modern Classics)
Labyrinths: Selected Stories and Other Writings (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Jorge Luis Borges
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This book made me feel less clever than I like to think I am, 13 Sep 2011
I enjoy reading short stories as much as the next man - they're ideal for the train. But I may have bitten off more than I could successfully contemplate with this book. I felt woefully undereducated as I struggled with the classical references and the layers of narration within some of these stories. But those which are easily accessible, and even some which are less so, were genuinely thought provoking and definitely add to life's abundant orchard of metaphysical debate. This book is great if you're ready for the challenge, but if you prefer to eschew obfuscation, stick with Scott Fitzgerald. I'm giving it a four. That's an aspirational four, I wanted to enjoy it that much.

The White Woman on the Green Bicycle
The White Woman on the Green Bicycle
by Monique Roffey
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but somehow pointless, 13 Sep 2011
I think it would have been around page 100 when I realised there would be no real story, or at least not a story in the traditional sense. To me it came across as more of a catharsis for the writer than a journey for the reader. I didn't feel any sense of real empathy for any of the characters though the language was interesting. And the beginning, end, middle approach didn't work for me either. Hmmm, strange book, but well written.

Life's a pitch: The Smarts guide to selecting an agency
Life's a pitch: The Smarts guide to selecting an agency
by Brendan Llewellyn
Edition: Unknown Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't leave home without it, 20 Dec 2007
I have found this guide invaluable on a number of occasions - once when I was tasked with choosing an advertising agency and again a few years later when I was made responsible for agency selection. It is quite a small book so fits neatly in the pocket of my leather jacket though admittedly it is rather large for the inside pocket of my tailored Italian suits. On reflection, perhaps if it was smaller and a bit thicker I would have got it in my suit jacket pocket and it would have stopped that assassin's bullet from puncturing my left lung. Oh well.