Profile for M. Fidell > Reviews

Content by M. Fidell

M. Fidell (Dorset, England)

Mad Catz R.A.T.7 Mouse - Matte Black (Mac/PC DVD)
Mad Catz R.A.T.7 Mouse - Matte Black (Mac/PC DVD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Both the best and worst mouse I've ever owned, 7 Oct. 2013
This mouse is amazing, the best mouse ever in fact, but I honestly wish I'd never bought it. I would love to love this mouse, but I can't, let me explain why.

I have it for about a year now and when I first got it and started using it, I couldn't believe it. It was amazing! Once you've adjusted it to match your hand, you just fall in love with it. It's so comfortable and accurate, fluid and the buttons are just where you want them to be. Over time I started using a slightly different grip to hold the mouse and incrementally adjusted the configuration of the mouse to make it even better and more comfortable. Now when I use other mice they just feel wrong. After a month of using this mouse I genuinely felt I couldn't and wouldn't ever want to go back to a "Normal" mouse, this one just was perfect.

Unfortunately though after a few months the problem starts. There is only one, but it's a big one! When you move the mouse it will not track correctly. Sometimes it will stick and only move on one axis. So you're moving the mouse around and it's only going up and down, not horizontally. Sometimes you are moving fast and for no apparent reason it will slow down. After many hours trying to figure out what was causing this (digging through forums etc.) I eventually discovered that this is a common fault and it is due to very small bits of dust getting caught up in the cavity between the bottom of the mouse and the lens (or at least that is what I think it is, but it's so minute you can't see it very well). To resolve this you have to lift the mouse up and gently rub or blow the bottom of the mouse to remove this dust, which seems to work half the time. If it doesn't work, you do it again and bang it a few times until it does. I don't work in an especially dusty environment. In fact it is actually very clean, so there isn't a huge amount of dust around, yet the mouse still get's stuck often. I therefore decided to purchase a new specialised mouse mat to see if that would improve things and got the Razer Vespula, which has a smooth and slightly abrasive side thinking this would reduce the dust getting into the mouse. It didn't. After quite a long time, getting increasingly frustrated at it sticking more and more often I thought that it must be a fault and decided to replace it with a new one. An identical one obviously as now I can't use other "uncomfortable" mice. That new one worked wonderfully and on the new mouse mat I'd purchased was even more accurate and all the frustrations were quickly forgotten about. Until the last few weeks when... It's all started again, I've tried using compressed air, wiping with a damp cloth, blowing gently, cleaning the mouse pad each day, everything and nothing is working.

This mouse has ruined my life, OK, perhaps that a little over the top, but it genuinely is a terrible but wonderful mouse. I love it, but I can't use it any more and I refuse to buy another one. The dust build up just shouldn't happen this badly and this often. They should have fixed this issue. It does only come about after a few months of use, but the designers should have found this issue before mass production. I just hope that they fix it in a future version as I can't use other mice, but I also can't use this one as it sticks far too often now and is getting worse.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, does exactly what it says on the tin, 20 April 2010
Lovely product, I use it every day. Arrived quickly, not a lot you can say about it really other then it does exactly as you expect, very warm and I've purchased 3 more.

Heaven (Yanou's Candlelight Mix)
Heaven (Yanou's Candlelight Mix)

1.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality is VERY poor, 20 April 2010
The track starts of very well, but the vocals are really bad, I've tried it on several different sound systems and each one the high points in the song are really terrible. I found another review linked to another copy of this song that seems to agree with my findings: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heaven-Yanous-Candlelight-Mix/dp/B0029WBXYY

Canon MP600R Single Ink All-in-One Photo Printer with 6.3cm Colour LCD Screen
Canon MP600R Single Ink All-in-One Photo Printer with 6.3cm Colour LCD Screen

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been good, shame about the software., 30 Jan. 2009
I purchased this printer because I needed a network based all-in-one device. This printer has the right idea. Unfortunately it missed the mark, the print quality is average, the scanning is also only average, but I could live with that if only it worked over the network.

If this printer is connected with a USB cable then it will function, but the software that is provided for using the printer over the network just doesn't work correctly. Canon also seems to have forgotten this product as they have not updated the drivers for years despite the limitations being well known about and discussed on the internet.