Profile for Ron Heath > Reviews

Content by Ron Heath

Ron Heath

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
VonShef Halogen Oven Accessory Set includes Extender Ring, Skewers, Steamer and Frying Pan for ALL 10-12 ltr Halogen Ovens
Offered by DOMU UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Ring of confidence!, 23 Aug. 2015
Bought primarily for the extending ring which fits my halogen well and does the job! I didn't really need the other accessories but no doubt they will come in useful. Great value and prompt delivery.

MISSION - Solid Wood CD / Media Storage Shelves - Dark
MISSION - Solid Wood CD / Media Storage Shelves - Dark
Offered by Watsons on the Web

4.0 out of 5 stars Let there be light!, 7 July 2015
Just to be clear, I did not buy this as a CD storage tower. I wanted something slimline to fit in a corner on which to sit a table lamp. This fits the bill perfectly. Great delivery - I ordered on a Sunday evening and it was delivered within two days (and yes, Watsons kept me up to date with tracking so I knew which day it was being delivered and yes, I did elect standard delivery) and well packaged to prevent transit damage. Not the best assembly instructions but I managed to figure out and assemble on my own. The staining is very dark compared to natural mahogany but it works in my lounge. Some of the shelves were a bit knotty, hence the 4 stars. As said, I wasn't looking to store CDs and used the shelves to dispay ornaments.

BOSTON - Glass Collectable Display Cabinet / CD DVD Storage Shelves - Beech
BOSTON - Glass Collectable Display Cabinet / CD DVD Storage Shelves - Beech
Offered by Watsons on the Web

5.0 out of 5 stars A clear case of money well spent!, 7 July 2015
Just what I needed to house my expanding CD collection, a lovely slimline display case. Delivered within 3 days of being ordered (and I ordered on a Saturday evening!). Well packaged with suitable protection for the glass shelves and sliding doors. Clear assembly instructions and I had no problems putting it together by myself. Plenty of pre-drilled holes allows shelf height to be varied depending on what you want to use it for.

Aquila 107U Tenor Ukulele Strings (Super Nylgut, Low G-Tuning, Key of C, GCEA)
Aquila 107U Tenor Ukulele Strings (Super Nylgut, Low G-Tuning, Key of C, GCEA)
Offered by Omega Music (UK) Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Consider options!, 3 July 2015
I'm new to the Ukulele (and all string instruments for that matter) so perhaps not best qualified to comment. I bought the pack as I wanted to convert the tenor to lower G and so only needed that string with the others to be kept as spares (hence the 3 star rating). In brief, I don't like it. It seemed to take a long time to settle and hold it's tune and even then seemed to have a bit of a twang, for want of a better description. I've since replaced with Aquila Red wound lower G which was bought as a single string and works better far me. This might be a better option if it's just a single string that you want.

Aquila Red Series Single Unwound Low G Tenor Ukulele String
Aquila Red Series Single Unwound Low G Tenor Ukulele String
Offered by Omega Music (UK) Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply Red, 3 July 2015
I'm new to the Ukulele (and all string instruments for that matter) so lacking in experience and perhaps not best qualified to comment but this string works for me. Did not take long to settle and hold it's tune. It does look a bit odd against the other strings given it's colour!

Stagg US10 Traditional Soprano Ukulele
Stagg US10 Traditional Soprano Ukulele

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value but a word of caution!, 5 Jun. 2015
A lovely little instrument for a beginner like me and well worth the money. As others had recommended, after a few weeks I changed the strings for something of better quality and the new strings settled quickly. Now it's rarely out of tune and has a lovely tone. A word of caution for the large handed or fatter fingered: you may have difficulty with some of the chords as, being a small instrument, there isn't much space in which to fret properly and so one of the larger Uke versions (Concert or Tenor) may be a better option. My advice would be, if in a position to do so, that you visit a music shop and test each size to see which is best suited to you.

Brunswick Mahogany Tenor Ukulele with Aquila Nylgut Strings
Brunswick Mahogany Tenor Ukulele with Aquila Nylgut Strings
Offered by Rimmers Music

5.0 out of 5 stars an E too far?, 5 Jun. 2015
It's a well made and lovely looking Tenor Ukulele with a beautiful sound and well worth the money (though I subsequently discovered I could have got it cheaper elsewhere, including delivery, so shop around!). Strings settled quickly once tuned and it holds the tuning well. One word of caution for those with smallish hands like me: you may have difficulty with some of the chords, in particular the E chord unless you have quite long fingers! I suppose if I was starting the process again, I would visit an instrument shop and test the Tenor against Concert versions as the Concerts, being smaller, may be better suited to my hands.

Ghosts and Graffiti
Ghosts and Graffiti

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem!, 20 May 2015
This review is from: Ghosts and Graffiti (Audio CD)
Had it not been for the presence of the six new tracks, I suspect I may not have purchased this collection as I'm always a little wary of artistes (even of the integrity of Thea Gilmore) releasing re-recordings of previously released material. I'm glad I did, though! Of the re-reordings, in my opinion none of them suffer by the re-recording and it is interesting to hear the input of the guests - most of whom I would have had no previous interest in. Several of them I definitely prefer: The Strange Communion version of Sol Invictus never worked fully for me and I much prefer this arrangement. Similarly, I never really liked the Liejacker version of Old Soul (much preferring the Recorded Delivery version) and I feel this is a vast improvement. Inverigo feels a much richer recording on here than the original and so that gets a big thumbs up from me too. I love the new version of Holding Your Hand too but the original will always remain a favourite. The six new tracks are all very strong so I'll only mention a couple. My Voice, with Billy Bragg, really resonates particularly given the events of May 7. It's a pity so few were prepared to raise theirs then. Our democracy indeed! Inch by Inch, with Joan Baez, is, quite simply, beautiful. If you like Thea, you won't be disappointed but don't just take my word for it - go out and buy it!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2015 10:18 AM BST

Eno ET 33U Clip-On Ukulele Tuner
Eno ET 33U Clip-On Ukulele Tuner

5.0 out of 5 stars Tuning made simple!, 6 April 2015
Well, at the ripe old age of 55 I have finally decided to learn how to play a musical instrument and so chose a Ukulele as I had been led to believe that it was a good instrument for a beginner. Having made the leap of faith, I decided that a tuner would be helpful and so ordered at the same time. Both arrived promptly within two days and so the first task was to see if I could tune it. After a little trial and error, plus some on-line guidance which at least gave me an idea of the sound I was looking for, I got there.

As at least one earlier reviewer had noted, I too initially only got a reading of C and string 3 regardless of which string I was strumming so no doubt that was due to the newness / set-up of the Uke. However, I persevered and managed to get there. It was noticeable that strings were going out of tune again almost immediately but this too was probably due to the instrument being new - many reviewers of the Uke had commented that this happened and that it could take a while for the strings to settle so I suspect the tuner will be both well used and well worth the money. Time will tell, however, if this old dog can be taught a new trick! Tiptoe through the tulips, anyone? (with apologies to those of less advanced years who probably have no clue as to what and whom I'm referring to!).

Live At The Rainbow [DVD] [2014]
Live At The Rainbow [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Queen

5.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere over the Rainbow, 13 Feb. 2015
If, like me, you prefer the earlier, rockier Queen, you'll love this. Showcasing the band's first three albums before rocketing to stardom following the release of Bohemian Rhapsody / A Night at the Opera, it shows, if you weren't already aware, just what a great rock band they were. Unlike some other reviewers on here, I have no issues with either sound or picture quality. I just wish I could have been there!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3