Profile for older and wiser? > Reviews

Content by older and wiser?

older and wiser?

Secure Extra large Robust Black Parcel Safe/Newspaper Box/Postbox
Secure Extra large Robust Black Parcel Safe/Newspaper Box/Postbox
Offered by Signs & Numbers

4.0 out of 5 stars C4 envelopes (for A4 papers) are fine., 17 April 2015
The other reviewers have described it well, but I just wanted to confirm the size of envelope because it was suggested that it would only just take A4 paper width of 21cm, whereas an envelope for unfolded A4 papers obviously has to be large than A4 size. I have tested the box with an envelope of up to 35cm x 25cm x 1cm and it just goes in. Even though this size of envelope projects from the opening of the box when you put it in, as you lower the lid, the back edge of the security plate starts to drop and the envelope can slid in. So, it will easily take C4 envelopes (for A4 papers) because they are about 33cm x 23cm. A parcel is limited to the stated 36cm x 21cm x 10cm because of its thickness compared with envelopes (and the 36cm width is very tight).
I would give it 5 stars if it was a bit better engineered not to rub in various places, but it is very good value at this price.

Samsonite Suitcase Base Hits 55/ 20 Upright 55 cm/ 39 Liters, Navy Blue 59142 1598

4.0 out of 5 stars The right size - just!, 11 Mar. 2015
This fits the 55x40x20cm limit imposed by Ryanair (the most picky large airline) which is what we wanted. However, it only just meets their 20cm depth limit, so don't pack it so much in it that the soft top bulges outwards or it may not fit in Ryanair's size gauge! The 55cm length means it is not guaranteed to be carried as a cabin bag by EasyJet (limit 50cm), but they won't hit you with extra charges if they have to put it in the hold on a busy flight.

Quality looks good, as expected for this brand.

Interior fittings are useful, especially the 3-sided zipped inner mesh pocket for clothes and a smaller zipped pocket for bits and pieces. Ryanair sells a comparable case of slightly smaller volume for 69 Euros, but the inner pocket is zipped on only 1 side and it doesn't appear to have any smaller pocket, so not so good inside.

I shall be interested to try it in Ryanair's size gauge next time we travel. Could be a 5 star.

American Tourister Hand Luggage Colora III Upright, Small, 55 cm Cabin Size/ 44.5 Liters, Navy Blue 59105/1598

1.0 out of 5 stars Width of case is more than 20cm so not acceptable to Ryanair, 6 Mar. 2015
The quoted "width" (i.e.depth) of this case is 20 cm. This number is quoted twice in the advert. The actual "width", even when empty, is 23 cm. at the wheel end which puts it way outside what Ryanair says it will accept for cabin luggage. That is likely to lead to a penalty charge of £50/E50 per trip if it is put in the hold due to being oversize. It has a soft top so it might bulge to more than 23cm when packed.

This is very frustrating because we spent a lot of time checking the range of cabin luggage available which would be accepted by the strictest airline, Ryanair; probably accepted by EasyJet (who will accept up to 56 x 45 x 25cm if there is space in the cabin but will NOT penalise you if they have to put it in the hold - their guaranteed accepted cabin size is 50x40x 20) and accepted by all other major airlines as far as I know.

A clue to the true size is the volume, which is quoted as 44.5 litres. A little maths shows that a box 55x40x20cm, with perfectly square corners, walls of zero thickness and no projections such as handle, wheels and built-in lock would have a volume of 44 litres. Any curved corners, projections and thickness of walls of case means that a 44.5 litre case will exceed at least one of the quoted dimensions. I would be suspicious of any case claiming to be of this size which had a quoted volume of 40 litres or more.

The quality and fittings of the case seem to be fine by the way, but it is going back for a refund because its most important feature is not as advertised. Height and depth are just within quoted 55 and 40cm.

Finally, difficult to believe, but it came with an official-looking blue and yellow label which said "Ryanair cabin size approved 55x40x20cm" highlighting the 20cm on a picture! We have emailed Ryanair asking them to confirm that it acceptable that but have not yet received a reply!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2015 7:21 AM GMT

TECHGEAR - Extra Long 3 Meter / 10 Feet USB Data Sync Cable for Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000, 7.0 P6200 P6210, 8.9 P7300 P7310, Tab Plus 7.7 P6800 P6810, 10.1 P7500 P7510, Tab 2 7.0 P3100 P3110, Tab 2 10.1 P5100 P5110, Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 N8010 & I800 I815, I957, I905, I987, T859, T869, T849
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware buying as a charger cable for larger tablets, 26 Feb. 2013
I bought this as a long charger cable for my Samsung Tab 2 10.1. The first one supplied stopped charging at 84% battery level, even when left overnight. (The Samsung lead gives 100%.) Even worse, it wouldn't sustain 20% battery level when in use (playing Angry Birds!) which defeats the object of a long lead.

The replacement supplied required so much force to insert into the tablet socket that it was risking an expensive repair job, so I have asked for a refund which TechGear, has offered a refund on return of the items.

I think the voltage drop of a skinny 3 metre lead is too high so the tablet stops charging. As recommended by another reviewer, I have just bought a GOOD QUALITY/high capacity 2 metre USB extension cable male/female (Lindy USB 2.0) and that works fine with the original Samsung cable to give 3 metres total charger cable length. Suggest you are not greedy with cable length because the longer the cable, the more voltage drop you will get, even with good cables.

To be fair to the TechGear cable, it may be fine for data sync or for charging smaller devices, but don't buy it as a charger cable for Tab 2 10.1.

Lindy 31855 - USB 2.0 Extension Cable - Type A Male to Type A Female - 2m - Black
Offered by Renshaw House

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, good value & does what it says, 26 Feb. 2013
I bought this to extend the 1 metre charger cable supplied with my Samsung Tab 2 10.1 and it performs very well. Increased resistance of a total cable length of 3 metres slows down the charging slightly but it will still charge to 100% unlike the generic 3 metre data sync/charger cable that I had bought, which gives up at 84%. Obviously usable for all other USB cable purposes.

Casio B640WB-1AEF Unisex Quartz Watch with Grey Dial Digital Display and Black Stainless Steel Bracelet with Countdown Timer
Offered by Watch Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Adjusting strap and use in water., 26 Feb. 2013
I agree with other reviewer re. small size, neat and discreet design and I am happy with the watch because I don't want to pretend that I am a deep-sea diver or an astronaut! I was surprised that instructions didn't tell you how to adjust the strap but, using obvious search terms, you can find a short video on YouTube that does. Clamping the buckle back after adjustment takes a lot more force than video says, but a spec of grease in the right place helps. Re water-resistance, if someone can explain to me why the instructions say 5 bar pressure rating makes it ok for swimming but not for windsurfing, I will be very grateful! Finally, the bracelet can trap hairs on the wrist but making it a bit tighter seems to solve the problem.

Komputerbay MicroSD to CompactFlash Adapter High Speed Micro SD to Compact Flash Type I CF
Offered by KOMPBAY

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well and microSD plugs straight into tablet PC!, 28 Nov. 2012
This adapter seems to be well made and to work fine. Obviously it is pricey, but you should need only one of them and you can quickly recover the cost by buying very economical microSD cards. I have given it only 4 out of 5 because I can't really comment on its speed claims, as I am using it in an old Canon compact (Powershot S60) which has always been slow to save photos, though it doesn't seem to be any slower with the adapter than with a normal CF card. Suggest you check whether any photographers with 'serious' kit have reviewed it.
Separate item: if you want to keep up to 8 microSD cards in your wallet, I also recommend this credit card-sized holder: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DiMeCard-micro8-microSD-Memory-writable/dp/B005SPQ8XK

McAfee Total Protection 2011, 3 User (PC)
McAfee Total Protection 2011, 3 User (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't install to replace an expired McAfee product, 15 Jun. 2011
This is a critical review of the installation process, not necessarily how well it works once installed. Hopefully helpful to others to avoid the bear-trap which I may have fallen in.

I bought and installed McAfee Internet Security 2011 to replace a trial copy of McAfee Internet Security which had expired 4 days before. The new one claims 'If you already have a McAfee product installed on your computer, we will uninstall it automatically.' This is tosh because, following the new installation, I have been pestered with messages telling me that my subscription has expired, giving the expiry date of the TRIAL copy and telling me that the computer is at risk. I don't think that the updates of the new copy were working.

I couldn't in any way make contact with the Technical Services chat line despite several attempts, or get their Virtual Technician to work (perhaps because McAfee was convinced that my sub. had expired) so I had to contact Customer Services by phone (020 no.). Their story was that the problem MAY have occurred because I installed the new copy AFTER the old copy had expired. I think that the software designers could have predicted that many people might do that!

Anyway, they emailed me advice and a link to download their software which does the job of getting rid of the old bits that the new copy SHOULD have done. This involves uninstalling EVERY McAfee component, old and new, then starting the installation process all over again, while being forced to agree to be unprotected while this process takes place.

IF their suggested cause of the problem is right, the only way to avoid this hassle is to uninstall the old copy of any McAfee products BEFORE installing the new one, also leaving you without protection during the process.