Profile for old git > Reviews

Content by old git

old git

TECHGEAR - Extra Long 3 Meter / 10 Feet USB Data Sync Cable for Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000, 7.0 P6200 P6210, 8.9 P7300 P7310, Tab Plus 7.7 P6800 P6810, 10.1 P7500 P7510, Tab 2 7.0 P3100 P3110, Tab 2 10.1 P5100 P5110, Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 N8010 & I800 I815, I957, I905, I987, T859, T869, T849
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions
Price: 3.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware buying as a charger cable for larger tablets, 26 Feb 2013
I bought this as a long charger cable for my Samsung Tab 2 10.1. The first one supplied stopped charging at 84% battery level, even when left overnight. (The Samsung lead gives 100%.) Even worse, it wouldn't sustain 20% battery level when in use (playing Angry Birds!) which defeats the object of a long lead.

The replacement supplied required so much force to insert into the tablet socket that it was risking an expensive repair job, so I have asked for a refund which TechGear, has offered a refund on return of the items.

I think the voltage drop of a skinny 3 metre lead is too high so the tablet stops charging. As recommended by another reviewer, I have just bought a GOOD QUALITY/high capacity 2 metre USB extension cable male/female (Lindy USB 2.0) and that works fine with the original Samsung cable to give 3 metres total charger cable length. Suggest you are not greedy with cable length because the longer the cable, the more voltage drop you will get, even with good cables.

To be fair to the TechGear cable, it may be fine for data sync or for charging smaller devices, but don't buy it as a charger cable for Tab 2 10.1.

Lindy 31855 - USB 2.0 Extension Cable - Type A Male to Type A Female - 2m - Black
Price: 3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, good value & does what it says, 26 Feb 2013
I bought this to extend the 1 metre charger cable supplied with my Samsung Tab 2 10.1 and it performs very well. Increased resistance of a total cable length of 3 metres slows down the charging slightly but it will still charge to 100% unlike the generic 3 metre data sync/charger cable that I had bought, which gives up at 84%. Obviously usable for all other USB cable purposes.

Casio Unisex Quartz Watch with Grey Dial Digital Display and Black Stainless Steel Bracelet B640WB-1AEF with Countdown Timer
Price: 28.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Adjusting strap and use in water., 26 Feb 2013
I agree with other reviewer re. small size, neat and discreet design and I am happy with the watch because I don't want to pretend that I am a deep-sea diver or an astronaut! I was surprised that instructions didn't tell you how to adjust the strap but, using obvious search terms, you can find a short video on YouTube that does. Clamping the buckle back after adjustment takes a lot more force than video says, but a spec of grease in the right place helps. Re water-resistance, if someone can explain to me why the instructions say 5 bar pressure rating makes it ok for swimming but not for windsurfing, I will be very grateful! Finally, the bracelet can trap hairs on the wrist but making it a bit tighter seems to solve the problem.

Komputerbay MicroSD to CompactFlash Adapter High Speed Micro SD to Compact Flash Type I CF
Offered by KOMPBAY
Price: 14.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well and microSD plugs straight into tablet PC!, 28 Nov 2012
This adapter seems to be well made and to work fine. Obviously it is pricey, but you should need only one of them and you can quickly recover the cost by buying very economical microSD cards. I have given it only 4 out of 5 because I can't really comment on its speed claims, as I am using it in an old Canon compact (Powershot S60) which has always been slow to save photos, though it doesn't seem to be any slower with the adapter than with a normal CF card. Suggest you check whether any photographers with 'serious' kit have reviewed it.
Separate item: if you want to keep up to 8 microSD cards in your wallet, I also recommend this credit card-sized holder: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DiMeCard-micro8-microSD-Memory-writable/dp/B005SPQ8XK

McAfee Total Protection 2011, 3 User (PC)
McAfee Total Protection 2011, 3 User (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't install to replace an expired McAfee product, 15 Jun 2011
This is a critical review of the installation process, not necessarily how well it works once installed. Hopefully helpful to others to avoid the bear-trap which I may have fallen in.

I bought and installed McAfee Internet Security 2011 to replace a trial copy of McAfee Internet Security which had expired 4 days before. The new one claims 'If you already have a McAfee product installed on your computer, we will uninstall it automatically.' This is tosh because, following the new installation, I have been pestered with messages telling me that my subscription has expired, giving the expiry date of the TRIAL copy and telling me that the computer is at risk. I don't think that the updates of the new copy were working.

I couldn't in any way make contact with the Technical Services chat line despite several attempts, or get their Virtual Technician to work (perhaps because McAfee was convinced that my sub. had expired) so I had to contact Customer Services by phone (020 no.). Their story was that the problem MAY have occurred because I installed the new copy AFTER the old copy had expired. I think that the software designers could have predicted that many people might do that!

Anyway, they emailed me advice and a link to download their software which does the job of getting rid of the old bits that the new copy SHOULD have done. This involves uninstalling EVERY McAfee component, old and new, then starting the installation process all over again, while being forced to agree to be unprotected while this process takes place.

IF their suggested cause of the problem is right, the only way to avoid this hassle is to uninstall the old copy of any McAfee products BEFORE installing the new one, also leaving you without protection during the process.